• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Just now, Chuck Gower said:

LOL. 

Heated? I never get heated. Ever. 

You’re entitled to your opinion. No one’s denying that. 

You're obviously worked up. Championing the "strong women" that "our fragile egos need to accept as a role model for females everywhere".

Take a breath. Maybe put me "back on ignore". Live up to your word and stop creating arguments for other people that they're not conveying.

Captain Marvel is not a compelling character, not because she's a "strong woman" (doesn't even appear as an emotionally strong person - OP level for no legitimate reason notwithstanding), but because she has no arc other than feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU.

2 hours ago, ianh said:

You need to understand you are arguing with a bunch of male feminists right now.

A bunch? Where?

2 hours ago, ianh said:

You know the guys that go to women's marches and try to show women they understand their plights to try and get lucky?

Wow...

2 hours ago, ianh said:

Those are the guys and they argue like women too. 

How do you argue like a woman? 

2 hours ago, ianh said:

Reading these here and there it reminds of how Bill Burr describes how women argue. If they are right, they argue the point and they stay on point and make sure you do as well. But if they are wrong they go rogue, they go crazy in a last ditch hail mary to try and get you angry and call them an obscene name. That's what nearly all of them have done here.

Wooo...okay...

2 hours ago, ianh said:

Case in point the "spaghetti western" discussion. It's all about insulting you because you didn't know what that genre of films was and then using that to invalidate your points. It's a classic women's tactic in a relationship when they are wrong. Why would you have a lot of knowledge about a genre you are not interested in but to them they jumped on it to make you seem stupid. Don't fall for that trap, look it up in google and just let them punch themselves out trying to get you to admit something you have no knowledge of. 

A know-it-all film critic that doesn’t know what a spaghetti western is. Not so hard to get. 

2 hours ago, ianh said:

I have a lot of younger friends in their 30's that have no clue what a "spaghetti western" is. Those movies were over 50 years ago, why should they? Many of them haven't seen such classics as Gone with the Wind, Giant either so should I call them stupid? That's a ridiculous way to argue.

Are they know-it-all movie critics? Smartie pants forum noobs? Obnoxious posters? Feminists? Horticulturalist?

2 hours ago, ianh said:

You are most likely arguing with the kids that struck out playing kickball in elementary school and this is their stage to show people they have a brain. That's really it so don't take it personal, you've already won.

LOL. Yeah... unfortunately 90% of this forum is made up of guys who ‘struck out at kick ball’, but nice try. 

Me. I was great at Kick Ball. 

I'll show you what it's like to be a man of your word.

I'm not going to ignore you altogether, because it's not really "worth it", since you can seemingly contribute positively outside of the movie sub-forum. An admission that some people won't make, just because they disagree on a movie.

I'm not going to respond to any more of your antagonistic posts on this thread, though.

Edit: I said my piece for pretty much everything I posted already. It's just not worth the time to repeat the same things over and over if someone doesn't 'get it'.

Edited by TwoPiece

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You're obviously worked up.

Not at all. 

Championing the "strong women" that "our fragile egos need to accept as a role model for females everywhere".

Yawn. 

Take a breath. Maybe put me "back on ignore". Live up to your word and stop creating arguments for other people that they're not conveying.

I make my debates for me. 

Captain Marvel is not a compelling character, not because she's a "strong woman" (doesn't even appear as an emotionally strong person - OP level for no legitimate reason notwithstanding),

Opinion. 

but because she has no arc other than feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU.

See Sweet Lou! I wasn’t making it up! He was that guy all along!

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'll show you what it's like to be a man of your word.

I'm not going to ignore you altogether, because it's not really "worth it", since you can seemingly contribute positively outside of the movie sub-forum. An admission that some people won't make, just because they disagree on a movie.

I'm not going to respond to any more of your antagonistic posts on this thread, though.

Edit: I said my piece for pretty much everything I posted already. It's just not worth the time to repeat the same things over and over if someone doesn't 'get it'.

You don’t need to explain anything more to me now that you admitted your position: she has no arc other than feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU.

You kept trying to convince everyone that you DIDN’T feel that way, just so you could pretend your view of the movie wasn’t influenced by it. 

But I pulled it out of you. 

HA!

See Sweet Lou - I know EXACTLY what I’m doing. 

18 minutes ago, greggy said:

I was really hoping that this was a tag about the Dare Maple Leaf Cookies I mentioned of which I have to place an Amazon offer on soon. 

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

To be fair, at least no one in this thread has literally accused Carol Danvers of being a "Mary Sue."

Obviously it's hard to be a Mary Sue when you've basically got the powers of Superman.

I think Twopees may have alluded to it earlier. 

Edited by Chuck Gower

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

To be fair, at least no one in this thread has literally accused Carol Danvers of being a "Mary Sue."

Obviously it's hard to be a Mary Sue when you've basically got the powers of Superman.

Can you be a Mary Sue if you're the byproduct of a McGuffin..?

Depends how you're defining McGuffin.

That she's powered by an Infinity Stone?

So is Adam Warlock...and Vision...and Doctor Strange...and Thanos.

That it's just the *thing* -- random object that's the source of her power?

So's Green Lantern's ring,..and Hulk's Gamma rays...and Daredevil's radioactive spill...and Spider-Man's radioactive bite..and Cap's steroids...and yes - the Infinity Gauntlet itself.

Put another way, I'd argue it's harder to find a mainstream powered superhero whose powers didn't originate with a McGuffin.

Edited by Gatsby77

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Depends how you're defining McGuffin.

That she's powered by an Infinity Stone?

So is Adam Warlock...and Vision...and Thanos.

That it's just the *thing* -- random object that's the source of her power?

So's Green Lantern's ring,..and Hulk's Gamma rays...and Daredevil's radioactive spill...and Spider-Man's radioactive bite..and Cap's steroids...and yes - the Infinity Gauntlet itself.

Put another way, I'd argue it's harder to find a mainstream powered superhero whose powers didn't originate with a McGuffin.

NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA...BATMAN!

Vision is definitely a Mary Sue. Except, he isn't used like a Mary Sue. I've mentioned before that both he and Scarlet Witch end that Civil War airport scuffle by themselves. Still a Mary Sue nonetheless.

Doctor Strange is still a sorcerer without the Eye, though. Unfair to call him a Mary Sue.

Green Lantern has to have, what is it, courage? Hope? And use it to power the ring. Neither Mary Sue nor McGuffin.

Most of what you're describing - their powers - are explored by the characters throughout stories by trial, test, and adversity.

Captain Marvel didn't have any trials/testing/etc of her powers. She didn't inherently have that power, either. The explosion gave it to her. IMO there needed to be points throughout, that show her understanding the McGuffin power. I've been saying that for daysssss.

She's not inherently good at everything inexplicably - it's 'because of the Infinity Stone' - somehow. Which is already stupid. Yes, Vision and Scarlet Witch are the same, but they didn't have a titular movie named after them. And, no, I'm not saying that I agree with their treatments.

In the heat of battle, she was able to use all of these relatively new powers immediately. It's Mary Sue-like, but a McGuffin created the entire situation. It's convoluted and was a poor story direction. Had she tested her limits at some point, had the story given us definitions of what she can and can't do, it makes things much more interesting. Right now, she seems like the most OP MCU character, and it does her character and the MCU no favors.

Maybe the Russo Bros explore this is Endgame. Maybe they define her limits. We really don't need a Superman in the MCU. He's an ideal - not a character - to be admired. Captain Marvel needs to be more than that to separate from characters like Vision and Scarlet Witch.

15 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Green Lantern has to have, what is it, courage? Hope? And use it to power the ring. Neither Mary Sue nor McGuffin.

Will Power.