• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Green Lantern has to have, what is it, courage? Hope? And use it to power the ring. Neither Mary Sue nor McGuffin.

Captain Marvel didn't have any trials/testing/etc of her powers. She didn't inherently have that power, either. The explosion gave it to her. IMO there needed to be points throughout, that show her understanding the McGuffin power. I've been saying that for daysssss.

See...here's the thing. Captain Marvel is very much analogous to Green Lantern...because it's *not just* the Tesseract that gives her the power -- it's the stone *in combination* with the human resilience that she possessed all along -- this is clearly explained by Yon-Rogg.

It's not just the stone -- it's that she is also particularly worthy to wield it too. The combination is what gives her the power.

Your other complaint seems primarily that we don't see her struggle with her new-found power.

That presumes that we have to see that in every superhero origin movie.

We don't.

Particularly because the film itself starts when she's already a seasoned Kree space warrior, and then flashes back to events in her life when she was a mere mortal.

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Shakespeare? Smith? Shatner?

Wheaton

Hunting

Shakespeare? Smith? Shatner?

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Wheaton

Just now, revat said:

Hunting

I do, indeed, like them apples...

47 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:
2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Green Lantern has to have, what is it, courage? Hope? And use it to power the ring. Neither Mary Sue nor McGuffin.

Captain Marvel didn't have any trials/testing/etc of her powers. She didn't inherently have that power, either. The explosion gave it to her. IMO there needed to be points throughout, that show her understanding the McGuffin power. I've been saying that for daysssss.

See...here's the thing. Captain Marvel is very much analogous to Green Lantern...because it's *not just* the Tesseract that gives her the power -- it's the stone *in combination* with the human resilience that she possessed all along -- this is clearly explained by Yon-Rogg.

It's not just the stone -- it's that she is also particularly worthy to wield it too. The combination is what gives her the power.

Your other complaint seems primarily that we don't see her struggle with her new-found power.

That presumes that we have to see that in every superhero origin movie.

We don't.

Particularly because the film itself starts when she's already a seasoned Kree space warrior, and then flashes back to events in her life when she was a mere mortal.

Without arguing some of the other points, I'm not quite sure its analogous to Green Lantern.  Green Lantern has the same weapon and powers as everyone else, and the willpower is a defining character trait that allows him to wield the powers better.  Its not really the same with Captain Marvel, not that there needs to be.

Most of the rest of "is this or should it be part of a movie or superhero trope?" arguments you guys are having seem to me to be a matter of personal taste (which understandably people will argue about)

Scott Mendelson may be my hero.

His latest Forbes post -- "Why the Success of 'Captain Marvel' Is Terrific News for 'Star Wars: Episode IX'" - essentially destroys many of the troll-fed negative arguments about both Captain Marvel and The Last Jedi.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/03/19/box-office-captain-marvel-brie-larson-star-wars-episode-ix-last-jedi-disney-lucasfilm-solo/#6fac08c76be6

"Captain Marvel has earned over $270 million domestic in ten days of release. This despite a deluge of folks who attempted to turn Brie Larson’s comments about wanting to see a more diverse group of movie journalists covering the movie into accusations that the movie wasn’t for white men and/or that white men wouldn’t be invited to early screenings.

The $150m-budgeted flick has earned over $500m overseas in just under two weeks of global play. This, despite fabricated rumor-mongering concerning Disney and Marvel’s misgivings with the movie and with Brie Larson’s star performance.

The Anna Boden/Ryan Fleck-directed sci-fi actioner may top $800 million worldwide as early as today. This despite coordinated attempts to review-bomb the film on various opt-in user polls at Rotten TomatoesMetacritic and IMDB." ...

"What the Internet thinks about something, especially when it’s merely a handful of tweets or Facebook posts, isn’t indicative of the general moviegoing populace."

Mendelson goes on to note (as I have repeatedly) that the 1/3 drop in worldwide box office from The Force Awakens to The Last Jedi was on par with the 1/3 drops from both Star Wars to Empire AND the Phantom Menace to Attack of the Clones. And goes on:

"There are plenty of critics, pundits and consumers who didn’t like The Last Jedi for subjectively valid reasons, just as I didn’t care for The Force Awakens. But the sheer outpouring of online troll-driven criticism, much of it clouded in sexism and racism (along with an odd inability to accept the notion of Luke Skywalker as anything other than an idealized Jedi superhero) made it hard to discuss the film both for those who loved it and for those who, with no malice or ill-intent, did not. Star Wars XIII earned $620 million in North America from a $220m debut weekend and eventually earned $1.335 billion globally. It made almost as much domestically as Aquaman ($334m), Bumblebee ($125m) and Mary Poppins Returns ($171m) combined."

6 hours ago, ianh said:

You need to understand you are arguing with a bunch of male feminists right now. You know the guys that go to women's marches and try to show women they understand their plights to try and get lucky? Those are the guys and they argue like women too.

Nah, some of us have daughters,girlfriends/wives,sisters and female cousins and know how a certain segment of guys can be chauvinistic jerks to them.

2. The "PC Police,SJWs and Snowflakes" you keep alluding to did not in fact troll Rotten Tomatoes like a certain segment of men did about the Black Panther and Captain Marvel movies.Shame on those certain segment of men organizing so much that Rotten Tomatoes had to delete over 40,000 reviews. That certain segment of  men gave fake bad reviews so people would not want to watch the Black Panther and Captain Marvel movies. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. That to me was that certain segment of men being PC Police.

I wonder what next movie that certain segment of men will troll next? Star Wars Episode 9? 

(:

ha ha lol.

On 3/18/2019 at 2:48 PM, Chuck Gower said:

Yeah, from 'unknown' sources. Par for the course from people who want to hate it because she's a powerful female. 

There's only one thing Marvel's reading and that's the film will make over a BILLION at the box office. They can't stop THAT.

Those sources, the same one's who said Kathleen Kennedy would be replaced, will be wrong here again, as not one studio gives two chits about what comic book nerds think, especially one's rooted in hatred. 

This is why I can't stand to be a part of this hobby anymore, is because of people like this. Completely made up story, with no verifiable proof, done as propaganda and passed along on the internet by people like you.

Really liked Wonder woman...she's pretty 'powerful'...yeah i read that 'somewhere' on the internet a week or so ago...'rumbling's about her being replaced...

On 3/18/2019 at 2:48 PM, Chuck Gower said:

Yeah, from 'unknown' sources. Par for the course from people who want to hate it because she's a powerful female. 

There's only one thing Marvel's reading and that's the film will make over a BILLION at the box office. They can't stop THAT.

Those sources, the same one's who said Kathleen Kennedy would be replaced, will be wrong here again, as not one studio gives two chits about what comic book nerds think, especially one's rooted in hatred. 

This is why I can't stand to be a part of this hobby anymore, is because of people like this. Completely made up story, with no verifiable proof, done as propaganda and passed along on the internet by people like you.

That`s what is disappointing about the hobby as we were always told how open-minded the comic book/sci-fi hobby was. That all were welcomed. That`s what I think we thought because of Star Trek and Stan Lee. It`s turning out mainstream are the ones that are more open-minded about diversification than is a certain section of the comic book, Star Wars and Doctor Who clubs that are most fiercely upset about being open-minded.

That to me is a shocking observation. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

5 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That`s what is disappointing about the hobby as we were always told how open-minded the comic book/sci-fi hobby was. That all were welcomed. That`s what I think we thought because of Star Trek and Stan Lee. It`s turning out mainstream are the ones that are more open-minded about diversification and that is a certain section of the comic book, Star Wars and Doctor Who clubs that are most fiercely upset about being open-minded.

That to me is shocking observation. 

I have to agree.

Thinking back, if the internet had been around would these trolls have come out of the woodwork when Avery Brooks was cast for the lead in DS9 or when Kate Mulgrew was cast as the first female Captain lead in a Star Trek series? 

Star Trek is, to me at least, the world we strive for, humankind as one driving forward for the greater good of all.

A couple of discussion points about CM that probably will be explored in a sequel:

1. The Kree Blood transfusion. What effect did that have? Isn’t that what brought Coulson back to life in Agents of SHIELD? I’m curious what the implications of that are.

2. Top Gun: now this does play into the Green Lantern comparison- but the aspect of the Pilot mentality shouldn’t be overlooked. That was something my wife pointed out, having worked at a flight school that they made an effort to be accurate- pilots have a certain personality and that drives their character. Then of course there’s the obvious Goose reference (well, obvious enough to those of us that have seen the movie, unless you don’t care for the Action movies with Pilots sub genre hm) CM and Rambeau are attempting to break that Glass Ceiling a few years before the DoD cleared female pilots in a combat theater. Pilots are generally a little cocky, but reserved and cool under pressure, but this was contrary to Carol’s anger and frustration in attempting to succeed in a “man’s world” which is perhaps similar to Maverick’s character arc in Top Gun.

Yeah but...who in this thread is trolling these films? Of course there are people who could be ultimately sexist in their view of it but it’s not really prevalent here.  Unless you could see into their heart you really don’t know.   Go on any open comic or film page on FB and you will certainly find it. But it’s not even remotely close to what’s in this forum. 

2 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Yeah but...who in this thread is trolling these films? Of course there are people who could be ultimately sexist in their view of it but it’s not really prevalent here.  Unless you could see into their heart you really don’t know.   Go on any open comic or film page on FB and you will certainly find it. But it’s not even remotely close to what’s in this forum. 

Gatsby was referring to an article and CC was building on that, as I took it, so my comment is based on that train of thought.

2 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

How is Thanos powerful enough - without the Gauntlet - to defeat both Thor and Hulk?

I don't remember seeing that explained.

If you are referring to the very beginning of the film, I'll just point out that we don't see him "defeat" Thor in one-on-one combat like he does the Hulk.  My read on that scene (which starts with the Asgardian ship already adrift and most of the passengers dead or incapacitated) is that the ship-to-ship battle we didn't get to see is what left Thor in a weakened state, after which Thanos tortures him by literally pressing an infinity stone to his head.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

If you are referring to the very beginning of the film, I'll just point out that we don't see him "defeat" Thor in one-on-one combat like he does the Hulk.  My read on that scene (which starts with the Asgardian ship already adrift and most of the passengers dead or incapacitated) is that the ship-to-ship battle we didn't get to see is what left Thor in a weakened state, after which Thanos tortures him by literally pressing an infinity stone to his head.

How is Thanos so powerful? 

Edited by Comicopolis