• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

If you are referring to the very beginning of the film, I'll just point out that we don't see him "defeat" Thor in one-on-one combat like he does the Hulk.  My read on that scene (which starts with the Asgardian ship already adrift and most of the passengers dead or incapacitated) is that the ship-to-ship battle we didn't get to see is what left Thor in a weakened state, after which Thanos tortures him by literally pressing an infinity stone to his head.

It's a good point in that the ship attack is what caused the initial impact.

But couldn't Thor have launched his own counter-attack once the battle started, before anyone landed on the ship?

Thor Powers and Abilities:

Like all Asgardians, Thor is incredibly long-lived and relies upon periodic consumption of the Golden Apples of Idunn to sustain his extended lifespan, which to date has lasted many millennia. Being the son of Odin and the elder goddess Gaea, Thor is physically the strongest of the Asgardians. Thor is capable of incredible feats of strength, such as lifting the almost Earth-sized Midgard Serpent, supporting a weight equivalent to that of 20 planets, and by combining his power with that of Beta Ray Bill, destroying Surtur's solar system-sized dimensional portal. If pressed in battle, Thor is capable of entering into a state known as the "Warrior's Madness" ("berserkergang" in Norwegian and Danish alike), which will temporarily increase his strength and stamina tenfold, although in this state he attacks friend and foe alike.

Thor possesses a very high resistance to physical injury that approaches invulnerability. He has even survived energy blasts from Celestials. Thor possesses keen senses that allow him to track objects traveling faster than light and hear cries from the other side of the planet. Thor has the ability to travel through time. His stamina allowed him to battle the entire Frost Giant army for nine months without any sustenance or rest; Thor has shown the ability to regenerate wounded portions of his body, including entire limbs or organs, with the aid of magical forces such as Mjolnir. Thor has superhuman speed, agility, and reflexes, enabling him to deflect bullets with his hammer, and to swing or throw it at many times the speed of light. In early stories, Thor has shown to be capable of vortex breath, which produces powerful winds. Like all Asgardians, he has immunity to all Earthly diseases and some resistance to magic. Exceptionally powerful magic can overwhelm Odin's enchantment that transforms him between Asgardian and mortal forms.

As the Norse god of thunder, Thor can summon the elements of the storm (lightning; rain; wind; snow) and uses Mjolnir as a tool to focus this ability, although the hammer cannot command artificial weather, only natural. He can cause these weather effects over the world and destroy entire buildings; by whirling his hammer he can lift entire buildings with the wind. Thor can also create small tornadoes by quickly whipping his cape in circles. As the son of the Earth goddess Gaea, Thor has shown some control over the Earth.

Thor is a superb hand-to-hand combatant, and is skilled in armed combat, excelling in the use of the war hammer, sword, axe and mace. Thor possesses two items which assist him in combat: the enchanted Belt of Strength, and his signature weapon, the mystical hammer Mjolnir. The first item doubles Thor's strength and endurance while the second is used to control his weather abilities; flight; energy projection and absorption (sufficient to reignite a dying star); dimensional travel; matter manipulation, and the most powerful of his offensives, the God Blast (which taps into Thor's life force, and has even forced Galactus to flee (THOR #160-161), the Thermo-blast, and the Anti-Force (which counteracts another force). Using Mjolnir by throwing it in the desired direction and then holding on to the handle's leather loop, Thor can fly at supersonic speeds in Earth's atmosphere and travel faster than light in space. He can also use the hammer to create a barrier by letting it spin in a circle, and even managed to contain an explosion powerful enough to destroy 1/5th of the universe, although at the cost of his own life. He can throw an object out of Earth's atmosphere by using his strength, and throw his hammer to Asgard from which it will return.

When Thor has to transport companions and/or objects to a destination by himself, he has a chariot drawn by two huge mystical goats called Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder that can fly nearly anywhere he desires almost as easily as with Mjolnir.

Wow! The MCU has not demonstrated some of these powers just yet.

Edited by Bosco685

2 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You read all that and then you pause to reflect on all those people who think the Hulk can beat this guy.  :roflmao:

I went to read the Thor #160-161 summaries. Thor came close to killing Galactus by channelling Ego's power through Mjolnir, forcing Galactus to escape. Now THAT is power!

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I went to read the Thor #160-161 summaries. Thor came close to killing Galactus by channelling Ego's power through Mjolnir, forcing Galactus to escape. Now THAT is power!

That was great storytelling.  The recorder is one of my favorite characters and Tana Nile.  Classic Marvel-she shows up at police station to inform them that she is now the owner of Earth.  lol 

7 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Depends how you're defining McGuffin.

That she's powered by an Infinity Stone?

So is Adam Warlock...and Vision...and Doctor Strange...and Thanos.

That it's just the *thing* -- random object that's the source of her power?

So's Green Lantern's ring,..and Hulk's Gamma rays...and Daredevil's radioactive spill...and Spider-Man's radioactive bite..and Cap's steroids...and yes - the Infinity Gauntlet itself.

Put another way, I'd argue it's harder to find a mainstream powered superhero whose powers didn't originate with a McGuffin.

Didnt all those characters obtain the McGuffin thru trial or interesting backstory though not just "Here Mary Sue-here's a McGuffin"?

30 minutes ago, kav said:

That was great storytelling.  The recorder is one of my favorite characters and Tana Nile.  Classic Marvel-she shows up at police station to inform them that she is now the owner of Earth.  lol 

tania.jpg

4 hours ago, bane said:
4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That`s what is disappointing about the hobby as we were always told how open-minded the comic book/sci-fi hobby was. That all were welcomed. That`s what I think we thought because of Star Trek and Stan Lee. It`s turning out mainstream are the ones that are more open-minded about diversification and that is a certain section of the comic book, Star Wars and Doctor Who clubs that are most fiercely upset about being open-minded.

That to me is shocking observation. 

I have to agree.

Thinking back, if the internet had been around would these trolls have come out of the woodwork when Avery Brooks was cast for the lead in DS9 or when Kate Mulgrew was cast as the first female Captain lead in a Star Trek series? 

Star Trek is, to me at least, the world we strive for, humankind as one driving forward for the greater good of all. 

Always been a trekie!

When I watched Voyager, I was really impressed with the cohesiveness of the storyline over the seven seasons. There were some outstanding episodes and I felt it was really well written. I was really surprised at the amount of dislike for the show online years later.

Can someone answer in spoiler tag-is Captain Marvel stronger than all the other Kree?  If so why and why dont they make more?  Does she single handedly defeat the skrulls and why?  If so this sounds like uber Mary Sue.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Can someone answer in spoiler tag-is Captain Marvel stronger than all the other Kree?  If so why and why dont they make more?  Does she single handedly defeat the skrulls and why?  If so this sounds like uber Mary Sue.

You’re basically asking for a synopsis of the movie in order to explain all this! Go see it 😉

On 3/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, RedRaven said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_Western

When I use the term I am referring to ONLY the Sergio Leone films with Clint Eastwood.

Once upon a time in the West I think also qualifies... Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda. A matchup you'd never think would happen. 

Edited by the blob

4 hours ago, kav said:

My interpretation and explanation from film, and -- NOTE -- you asked for spoiler tags... so expect to see lots of spoilers. If you don't want them, please don't look.

Short answer, yes, very powerful. 

Longer, detailed, with spoilers: abandon all hope ye who enter, ye have been warned...

The scientist/pilot who mentored Marvel created a very unique energy source (somehow related to tesseract, maybe it was tesseract, not sure) that no-one else in the Kree race had access to (they wanted to though). When the ship exploded that carried the weapon's contents, Captain Marvel was bathed in its energy field (like Hulk birth). That one unique energy field turned her into a cosmic powerhouse (like phoenix).  So, no one has the means to replicate, other than to possibly harness the tesseract, which is safely locked away.  Don't want to give much more away, but hopefully the like phoenix comment (CM movie, not CM comic) gives you some idea.

Edited by bronze_rules

In the comic books, Carol Danvers receives her powers when she's caught in the explosion of a Kree device and her DNA merges with Captain Marvel. 

Spoiler

In the movie, she absorbs power from the space stone when she destroys a Kree (made) device to protect it from falling into the hands of the Kree who kill Mar-vell to get it.

Very similar, but the movie origin actually is BETTER.

Why aren't all of you Mary Sue guys haunting the DC movie threads repeatedly calling Superman a Gary Stu?  He's a FAR purer wish fulfillment vehicle of Simon and Schuster than Carol Danvers is for Roy Thomas.

I ask that, of course, already knowing what the answer is.  You're male chauvinist pigs.  I like to pretend I'm one of those from time to time, so I feel a slight kinship.

Edited by fantastic_four

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why aren't all of you Mary Sue guys haunting the DC movie threads repeatedly calling Superman a Gary Stu?  He's a FAR purer wish fulfillment vehicle of Simon and Schuster than Carol Danvers is for Roy Thomas.

I ask that, of course, already knowing what the answer is.  You're male chauvinist pigs.  I like to pretend I'm one of those from time to time, so I feel a slight kinship.

Yup.

Especially since the finale of the Justice League movie has Superman basically just show up and end it -- the rest of the team is literally superfluous.

doh!

18 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Captain Marvel is not a compelling character, not because she's a "strong woman" (doesn't even appear as an emotionally strong person - OP level for no legitimate reason notwithstanding), but because she has no arc other than feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU.

It's been a part of her character since day one. 

Once again, you have no sense of history, because, as a millennial, you assume that what little you've read on the internet is all there is to it.

Ms. Marvel as she was originally known, wasn't MISS Marvel, but 'Ms.' You may not have an understanding of that prefix, because you weren't around for that time period, but it was a 'modern' woman's way of addressing herself that had no connection to marriage. It has a HISTORY in feminism, even becoming the title of Gloria Steinem's magazine MS. Magazine in January 1972. 

Marvel originally billed Ms. Marvel as Marvel's 'first feminist superhero' and she fights for equality in her comic, including equal pay to a man. 

None of THAT heavy handed behavior played out in the movie - she was simply a female, trying to succeed in the world. Yet it was still offensive to someone like you. Sad.