• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

I still think he’s more butt-h##t about the _chronology_ in which her origin is depicted than the argument than that it wasn’t sufficiently explained.

That she’s introduced as a veteran Kree space warrior and then (later) we’re shown the radioactive explosion that gives her her powers.

God help us if the next Green Lantern film opens with a veteran Hal Jordan busting stuff up in space with the rest of the Corps!

I'm not butt-hurt about anything. The "chronology" is fine. Actually refreshing - a little bit. There are great writing aspects to the film.

However, the film does nothing to outline challenges of exploring her new power. She's a human with Kree blood, right? How does one go about mastering power she didn't even know she had? No story to speak of regarding this. That's where the opposite to the great writing lies. They carped the bed in some instances.

Hopefully, and I expect, the Russo Bros have a plan for this, otherwise her inclusion in Endgame will be a very underwhelming experience. Thankfully, Kevin Feige has recently elaborated that she will not "come in to save the day". Endgame will be very Original 6-heavy. It will focus on the original Avengers.

Captain Marvel, the movie, is far from perfect. Right now, it feels like her character is the opposite. And that poses a problem.

51 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The Kree seemed to be using something like a wormhole to jump between points around the galaxy.

That's one thing I didn't really understand about the movie. If they can already jump to places lightyears away, what was the need for a lightspeed engine? Why not use the wormhole technology to transport the Skrulls?

1 minute ago, bb8 said:

That's one thing I didn't really understand about the movie. If they can already jump to places lightyears away, what was the need for a lightspeed engine? Why not use the wormhole technology to transport the Skrulls?

They use pre-determined "jump points". Mar-Vell was creating a ship that could travel at light-speed, so they could reach a planet(s) that are years from those "jump points".

Saw it last night finally. Overall a decent flick. Not the best nor worst Marvel movie. The girl power aspects weren't too hammy for me. In fact, her final realization seemed to be more about her being human than her being specifically a female human (when she was getting knocked down over and over agian but kept getting back up off the matt).

The overall themes, however, weren't interesting. Nothing really grabbed me. The explanation of Nick Fury's eye patch I thought was just dumb. I'd probably give it a B-.

Edited by bb8

30 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm not butt-hurt about anything. The "chronology" is fine. Actually refreshing - a little bit. There are great writing aspects to the film.

However, the film does nothing to outline challenges of exploring her new power. She's a human with Kree blood, right? How does one go about mastering power she didn't even know she had? No story to speak of regarding this. That's where the opposite to the great writing lies. They carped the bed in some instances.

She spent SIX YEARS IN TRAINING.

30 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Hopefully, and I expect, the Russo Bros have a plan for this, otherwise her inclusion in Endgame will be a very underwhelming experience. Thankfully, Kevin Feige has recently elaborated that she will not "come in to save the day". Endgame will be very Original 6-heavy. It will focus on the original Avengers.

Captain Marvel, the movie, is far from perfect. Right now, it feels like her character is the opposite. And that poses a problem.

For you. For others, they enjoyed her tremendously.

27 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Saw it last night finally. Overall a decent flick. Not the best nor worst Marvel movie. The girl power aspects weren't too hammy for me. In fact, her final realization seemed to be more about her being human than her being specifically a female human (when she was getting knocked down over and over agian but kept getting back up off the matt).

Totally agree.

27 minutes ago, bb8 said:

The overall themes, however, weren't interesting. Nothing really grabbed me. The explanation of Nick Fury's eye patch I thought was just dumb. I'd probably give it a B-.

I think there's more to that than what we saw in the movie. Remember...

Spoiler

Fury says, "It's just a scratch", and Talos says, "No.." and then they cut away. Getting scratched by a Fluerken may have more to it than what we know...

22 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

"There are plenty of critics, pundits and consumers who didn’t like The Last Jedi for subjectively valid reasons, just as I didn’t care for The Force Awakens. But the sheer outpouring of online troll-driven criticism, much of it clouded in sexism and racism (along with an odd inability to accept the notion of Luke Skywalker as anything other than an idealized Jedi superhero) made it hard to discuss the film both for those who loved it and for those who, with no malice or ill-intent, did not. Star Wars XIII earned $620 million in North America from a $220m debut weekend and eventually earned $1.335 billion globally. It made almost as much domestically as Aquaman ($334m), Bumblebee ($125m) and Mary Poppins Returns ($171m) combined."

Hey...that's me!! 

I really disliked TLJ but for none of the fanboy/troll reasons. 

It's just a really really bad but really really expensive to make and really really technically well produced turd of a film. 

Edited by comix4fun

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Hey...that's me!! 

I really disliked that film but for none of the fanboy/troll reasons. 

It's just a really really bad but really really expensive to make and really really technically well produced turd of a film. 

Yeah, it was awful.

Kinda like parts of Captain Marvel for subjectively valid reasons.

Some people don't care whether or not powers are defined, and heroes don't have to overcome anything. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. Luckily a lot of other, compelling, characters will be in Endgame.

28 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Yeah, it was awful.

Kinda like parts of Captain Marvel for subjectively valid reasons.

Hating women is not a valid reason. 

28 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Some people don't care whether or not powers are defined, and heroes don't have to overcome anything.

Lucky for us, she does in this movie. 

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Some people don't care whether or not powers are defined, and heroes don't have to overcome anything.

Huh?

Did we watch the same film? She overcame:

• - the challenge of becoming one of the military's first female test pilots 
  • - amnesia
  • - adjusting to earth
  • - brainwashing / betrayal by those closest to her
  • - inhibition of her powers

Just because most of her trials were psychological rather than physical doesn't mean they weren't there, front and center, and integral to her character arc.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

Huh?

Did we watch the same film? She overcame:

• - the challenge of becoming one of the military's first female test pilots 
  • - amnesia
  • - adjusting to earth
  • - brainwashing / betrayal by those closest to her
  • - inhibition of her powers

Just because most of her trials were psychological rather than physical doesn't mean they weren't there, front and center, and integral to her character arc.

Did we watch the same movie?

• We never saw how/why she "overcame" to become a test pilot.
  • The Skrulls activated her dormant memory.
  • Adjusted to her home planet..?*
  • She didn't overcome any of that. She sent Yon-Rogg back "with a message" via her undefined power.
  • She overcame a 100% trash plot device? She's the byproduct of a plot device...

She didn't develop at all throughout the movie. All she did was...

Spoiler

Switch sides.

She didn't have to overcome a single thing once her powers were no longer "inhibited". She adjusted to nothing.

Spoiler

*She was on Earth for, what? A couple days? That's not adapting. I can survive in the ocean for a day. Doesn't mean I've adapted to a new environment. Thriving would be adaptation.

She didn't lose anything. Memories? Didn't affect a single thing other than to serve as another "inhibitor". Exposition from co-stars drove her.

Hey, I would have liked a 3 hour movie that better laid out some of this, particularly because I didn't have a soda or another drink, so I would have been able to last 3 hours. I just don't think the movie was a failure for skimming over some of this. I am sure half the people in the theatre did not have a clue about what was going on back on Hala and what this was about. A little bit more plot development re: the Kree empire was warranted. Maybe they vaguely had some idea about the Kree from GOTG, but that was pretty sparse. They cut out the racial pink/blue Kree issue, which frankly, if they were going to do SJW stuff, would have been an interesting background issue (heck, they could have even done something re: how the pinks have to overcome being looked down on, like women pilots on earth)

22 minutes ago, the blob said:

Hey, I would have liked a 3 hour movie that better laid out some of this, particularly because I didn't have a soda or another drink, so I would have been able to last 3 hours.

This is my biggest issue watching movies at the theater over the last few years.  It's not the soda in the theater that does it, it's the drinking four hours before going in that ends up getting me.  I'm in the habit of hydrating throughout the day, and if I intentionally break the habit before going to a film, I'm fine.  But if I forget, I have to get up two or three times, and if I'm in the middle of a row, it really sucks.  :frustrated:

Just now, fantastic_four said:

This is my biggest issue watching movies at the theater over the last few years.  It's not the soda in the theater that does it, it's the drinking four hours before going in that ends up getting me.  I'm in the habit of hydrating throughout the day, and if I intentionally break the habit before going to a film, I'm fine.  But if I forget, I have to get up two or three times, and if I'm in the middle of a row, it really sucks.  :frustrated:

Catheter.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm a middle aged man. I just can't hold a quart of soda in like I used to. I stay away from liquid pre-movie nowadays. As I am not eating salty popcorn anymore, I am ok with that.