• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

Bring a mayonnaise jar with you. That's what my father started doing in his 60s. Was never without a mayo jar.

That sounds like a great way to end up spending a night in jail.  :fear:

23 minutes ago, the blob said:

Quart size. Big target to aim into. Getting old sucks.

Done this on the road many a time, but never with a mayo jar. Water bottles have a very small margin for error, Gatorade is a little better...mayo would be great, but who the heck carries a mayo jar around (outside of Blob's dad). :roflmao:

41 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That sounds like a great way to end up spending a night in jail.  :fear:

If you are a 60/70/80 year old guy who had prostate surgery when you need to go, you need to go. On the street, in a mayo jar, whatever, a public bathroom is likely not close by.

WARNING: possible spoilers ahead.

Abandon all hope ye who enter...

Reading the comments here (and Chuck Gower's useful comments), brought me to think that they really did go a long way towards trying to stay true to the source material. From her origins, all the way to the catch phrase, "Hala," being used repeatedly.

I went back and read the Ms. Marvel MMW vol 1. and the entire volume was concerned with her memory/identity and forgetting who she was, when Marvel, but later finding she was Marvel all along, and her human form couldn't process it.  I thought that that must have been one difficult origin to carry on the big screen, but they did pretty well with it.

Like others, I really want to go back and read/study more about the Kree, and how they were bad, while Skrulls were good. But, sure, there have to be some good and some bad in all races.  Skrulls were terrible in the Secret Invasion (really bad) and I found it hard to fathom the film in that context, but again, some bad, some good.

I wasn't too blown away by the film, and found the beginning a bit boring, but I think if I go back and re watch a few times, I'll find a lot of valid turning points and plot mechanisms.

I'm liking it more after thinking about it more. The only thing I don't really get, is the Phoenix like powers she gets in film, whereas, I never recall her even being close to that in Ms. Marvel bronze stories. I mean, she took on the Super-Skrull with Spider-Man and both struggled. Whereas, when Spider-Man paired with Warlock, you could truly see the difference in power level, as Warlock sided with the Gardener to take on the Stranger (great story, btw). Spider-Man would have been vaporized on his own.

Captain America started out really weak relative to the team and my expectations, then suddenly gained huge increases in power, a few films later. She is starting out with way higher powers than I expected. But the movie explained it well enough, to accept. She trained 6 years as a warrior, and her augmented super-powers were suppressed (yon rogg kept telling her to not use them -- think about the elephant and the stake analogy). She briefly had to overcome all of that, and was put in a position, where she overcame her suppression and imprisonment, (of course, she'd been doing that all her life), then was able to utilize her powers.

Edited by bronze_rules

10 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

The only thing I don't really get, is the Phoenix like powers she gets in film, whereas, I never recall her even being close to that in Ms. Marvel bronze stories.

They took that from her time with the X-Men.  Rogue permanently stole her Ms. Marvel powers in Avengers Annual #10 in 1981, and she spent time with the X-Men without any powers at all.  In X-Men #164 in 1982 the Brood manipulated her DNA and inadvertently gave her the ability to channel the power of a star through her body.

A1DIT1MgykL.jpg latest?cb=20090927180106

Edited by fantastic_four

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

They took that from her time with the X-Men.  Rogue permanently stole her Ms. Marvel powers in Avengers Annual #10 in 1981, and she spent time with the X-Men without any powers at all.  In X-Men #164 in 1982 the Brood manipulated her DNA and inadvertently gave her the ability to channel the power of a star through her body.

latest?cb=20090927180106

Thanks. :cry:  That was past my bronze reading years.  Still a bit out of place, considering she is clearly another character at that point of her evolution.  Was she really Phoenix level at that point in history? 

Edited by bronze_rules

6 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Thanks. :cry:  That was past my bronze reading years.  Still a bit out of place, considering she is clearly another character at that point of her evolution.  Was she really Phoenix level at that point in history? 

Yeah - as Binary, she really did have the power of a star.

11 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Was she really Phoenix level at that point in history? 

She seemed similar.  I never fully understood Phoenix's powers, but could she really generate the power of a star?  Carol Danvers as Binary sounds more powerful than most other characters in that regard.

I can see from reading the Wikipedia entry on Carol Danvers that she didn't keep the full Binary powers for long, and that she's been flipped back and forth between a limited set of Binary and Ms. Marvel powers closer to what we saw in the film through the 90s and 2000s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers#Publication_history

The way she cleaved through those Kree ships like a hot knife through butter in the film seemed full-on Binary to me.  Certainly more powerful than any of the heroes Thanos fought in Infinity War, but not as powerful as Thanos himself with the fullly-decked out gauntlet.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

She seemed similar.  I never fully understood Phoenix's powers, but could she really generate the power of a star?  Carol Danvers as Binary sounds more powerful than most other characters in that regard.

I can see from reading the Wikipedia entry on Carol Danvers that she didn't keep the full Binary powers for long, and that she's been flipped back and forth between a limited set of Binary and Ms. Marvel powers closer to what we saw in the film through the 90s and 2000s.  The way she cleaved through those Kree ships like a hot knife through butter in the film seemed full-on Binary to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers#Publication_history

I think of Phoenix on the level of Galactus.  She ended up having to destroy/consume stars/planets to survive, much like Galactus; hence, her need to destroy herself (kind of loose there, by memory). Point being that she is with the 0.1% of Cosmic Giants (Watcher, Tribunal, Eternity, etc..) -- far apart from ordinary heroes. Phoenix's powers derive from a force that used her to embody it. I don't remember too much exposition on the backstory of the force, but it was extremely powerful.  In my bronze reading, I would never equate Ms. Marvel at that level.  Film Phoenix showcased her power pretty well in X-MEN apocalypse, even as a neophyte.

Edited by bronze_rules

2 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

I think of Phoenix on the level of Galactus.  She ended up having to consume stars/planets to survive, much like Galactus; hence, her need to destroy herself (kind of loose there, by memory).

I forgot about that, but yea, you're right, that's why Lilandra went after her.  So they seem similar, which may not be surprising since Chris Claremont wrote both of those stories within a few years of each other.  I wonder if he realized how similar Binary was to Phoenix as he wrote it.  hm

OK, they jumped forward with her powers to Binary level, maybe even took in some of Monica Rambeau/Captain Marvel from the comics. Obviously she isn't going to take on Thanos with just her 1970s super strength, etc. He already gave a pounding to the Hulk and Thor on that level pre-Gauntlet.

1 minute ago, Crimebuster said:

The film's tie-in merchandise explicitly refers to this as her Binary form. 

s-l1600.thumb.png.548768ed94181ebba7c682af9cc22e9a.png

I want that figure, but it's not out yet.  I'm disappointed though that the plasma (or whatever that glowy stuff is) effects are limited to her hands and head which are more representative of her Binary powers inhibited by that Kree device on her neck, not her full-on powers that enveloped her entire body after she ripped the device off.

5 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

The film's tie-in merchandise explicitly refers to this as her Binary form. 

s-l1600.thumb.png.548768ed94181ebba7c682af9cc22e9a.png

That's a good point. A bit sneaky though, without the proper costume....  Really have to go read up on Binary now. Any suggestions that showcase her power level?  

Edited by bronze_rules

1 minute ago, bronze_rules said:

That's a good point. Really have to go read up on Binary now. Any suggestions that showcase her power level? 

Start here at X-Men #163 where the Brood manipulate her DNA, and move forward using the "Next" button through at least issue #166:

http://vlcomic.com/read/comic-uncanny-x-men-1963-eng/190

Or if you want to jump straight to her kicking butt as Binary just start at #166:

http://vlcomic.com/read/comic-uncanny-x-men-1963-eng/193

My memory on Binary is vivid because I began reading X-Men at issue #165 at age 11 right in the middle of her Binary origin arc.

Edited by fantastic_four