• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

My memory on Binary is vivid because I began reading X-Men at issue #165 at age 11 right in the middle of her Binary origin arc.

Shake 'n bake. Good times!

57 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Start here at X-Men #163 where the Brood manipulate her DNA, and move forward using the "Next" button through at least issue #166:

http://vlcomic.com/read/comic-uncanny-x-men-1963-eng/190

Or if you want to jump straight to her kicking butt as Binary just start at #166:

http://vlcomic.com/read/comic-uncanny-x-men-1963-eng/193

Was she wearing the funky costume before her transformation? I'll buy the spawning of new powers, but not a costume magically appearing.

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

"Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe!" - Guardians of the Galaxy

The writers and directors for Infinity War also mention that Thor doesn't have unlimited durability. After the events of Ragnarok, he was extremely drained of his power. Without a magical device like Mjolnir, his strength regenerates slower. That's kinda why he "needed" Stormbreaker.

Without using the stones, Hulk wins that fight 95 times out of 100, but Thanos has a chance.

"Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe!" - Guardians of the Galaxy. 

That makes perfect sense.

2 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

"Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe!" - Guardians of the Galaxy. 

That makes perfect sense.

Someone's opinion. They don't know all the beings?

With that said, we have no idea how long Binary can be Binary. Is she "god like" for a 5 minute burst? 2 minutes? 1 minute? And if she has to cool down for a bit, is she vulnerable then? (It seems so) re-Reading X-Men 166 (and not really remembering much about her from other comics) it seems she can get messed up having a whole fleet blasting away at her ..she needed to Starjammers to rescue her.

41 minutes ago, the blob said:

Was she wearing the funky costume before her transformation? I'll buy the spawning of new powers, but not a costume magically appearing.

It just magically appeared, and yea, I didn't buy that when I was 11 either.

8 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

His fists behave like Plot Gauntlets under some circumstances. 

I still have no idea how he is so powerful - without the Gauntlet - in the movies.

And you know what?

It doesn't bother me one bit.

1 minute ago, Comicopolis said:

I still have no idea how he is so powerful - without the Gauntlet - in the movies.

And you know what?

It doesn't bother me one bit.

It doesn't bother me either, but I do wish they'd work it out.  It's less interesting to think of Thanos, Hulk, Juggernaut, Colossus, and Thing as all basically the same guy with the same powers who just look different.

The other great thing about Captain Marvel is how it fills in a story hole that would otherwise be the same old thing: Thanos SCOUTED and TESTED these heroes for all this time to be able to keep them from stopping him. And he beat them. 

If the same heroes then regrouped (minus the dead ones) and somehow managed to then defeat Thanos - how boring would that be? Same old same old. 

Instead they’re going to get someone who was out of the galaxy to join in and be able to go toe to toe with Thanos to distract him enough that Doc Strange and Iron Man can our think him and win out the day. 

Much better. 

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

The other great thing about Captain Marvel is how it fills in a story hole that would otherwise be the same old thing: Thanos SCOUTED and TESTED these heroes for all this time to be able to keep them from stopping him. And he beat them. 

If the same heroes then regrouped (minus the dead ones) and somehow managed to then defeat Thanos - how boring would that be? Same old same old. 

Instead they’re going to get someone who was out of the galaxy to join in and be able to go toe to toe with Thanos to distract him enough that Doc Strange and Iron Man can our think him and win out the day. 

Much better. 

Is Thanos's reign of terror limited to our galaxy? (Wasn't his finger snapping the universe?) Meaning if CM has been off hiding Skrulls a few galaxies away, is it possible that she didn't have dealings with Thanos?

16 minutes ago, the blob said:

Is Thanos's reign of terror limited to our galaxy? (Wasn't his finger snapping the universe?) Meaning if CM has been off hiding Skrulls a few galaxies away, is it possible that she didn't have dealings with Thanos?

I could buy that she never crossed him. Think of something like Voyager, the universe is close to infinite in size. Even if his snap effected all the cosmos, we can accept her surviving by chance.  However, I would expect Thanos to know of her existence on earth, in his due diligence. I just assume he didn't expect her to arrive, similar to Cosmic Beings.  Of course, he should have been aware of the pager -- but we are talking comics here.:cry: I read some theories on Dr. Strange pushing the time stone away in time, before handing it to Thanos, and buy that he triggered a modification of the time stream (I expect we'll see in IW).  The fact he could see ALL possibilities, is some what of a stretch, and one wonders why Thanos couldn't also, but again... DUES EX MACHINA has to win some battles.

I also don't see the win coming so much from her force/strength/power, but from the combined cleverness of Strange and the rest of the team. If anything, she can delay him in a longer battle (just like IG in comics, he was delayed as a plan by Strange/Surfer/Warlock).

As an aside, I was thinking that even if Thanos tried to read Strange's mind, there was a plot of FF, where Galactus could not read Reed's mind, and he bluffed with a nullifier fake.  Watcher was probing his (Reed's) mind at the time, and causing interference.

Edited by bronze_rules

19 minutes ago, paperheart said:

asking for the less informed boardies: is this from a spaghetti western?

Something very similar, the great Italian/American genre of pasta gangsta movies of the 1940s.

8 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Now that Maltese Falcon was a great picture. 

Yeah, but they never explained where the bird got its powers from. What a hack John Huston was.

1 hour ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Thoughts

Reveal hidden contents

What was Captain Marvel doing for 20 years when she left earth and returned when Furys pager went off? surely it didn't take her that long to finish the war, I'm sure down the track they will do a movie with what she did in that 20 year gap

I would assume if there is a sequel, the sequel will literally be that story.  But they should hurry up, Jude Law is aging FAST.