• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Thank goodness Thanos isn't a female and did all of this or all hell would've broken loose.

Girls can't beat boys...even my three year olds can tell you that.  (tsk)

I say that assuming that shotput gold medalist Valerie Adams at 6' 4" and 265 pounds (and sister of NBA Thunder center Stephen Adams) won't read this and decide to show me how wrong I am.  :eek:

7b159127ee8e3a0df3931af97ff57200.jpg

20 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Thank goodness Thanos isn't a female and did all of this or all hell would've broken loose.

You didn't read about the Titan sex change operation? He went to their version of Trinidad, CO.

33 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Actually I'd say that Guardians of the Galaxy implicitly suggests that the power stone emanates passive power.  They say that only extraordinarily strong individuals can possess it, they show it ripping apart the Collector's servant when she grabs it, and they show it dramatically empowering Ronan when he grabs it and sticks it into his hammer.  That all implies it's always giving off an aura of power.  In Infinity War, we never see the latent energy of the stones like that, just a far more subtle glow when he plugs them into the gauntlet and again when he explicitly activates them.

Until I hear different I'm guessing they didn't think about this, but they clearly wanted to establish Thanos as the biggest of the bads so they wanted to depict him beating Hulk with no help.  Which is consistent with the comics, usually characters and abilities get refined and further defined when new authors start writing them (McFeely and Markus on Infinity War), or some aspects of a character get overlooked or forgotten about by subsequent authors (McFeely and Markus may have overlooked Gunn and Perlman's intent and that of the comics).  Not that big a deal on a fairly subtle point.

Once Marvel was committed to making Thanos a massive cosmic threat in the comic books, his powers grew substantially. I had read a detailed article where the author pulled together his character growth from Iron Man #55 to the Infinity War film. Quite impressive. I'll have to track it down.

But even before the Stones, Thanos is a massive threat.

43 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Girls can't beat boys...even my three year olds can tell you that.  (tsk)

I say that assuming that shotput gold medalist Valerie Adams at 6' 4" and 265 pounds (and sister of NBA Thunder center Stephen Adams) won't read this and decide to show me how wrong I am.  :eek:

7b159127ee8e3a0df3931af97ff57200.jpg

That is a handsome woman.

3 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Do you mean "objective?"  Because you can pretty much find a subjective reason for anything - pointy elbows etc.

No. Some people claim that other people don't have valid opinions. I know the difference.

It's not worth further elaboration. This thread is about 40 pages of too much BS. lol

Finally got a chance to see Captain Marvel last night. I liked it, but overall thought it was just alright.

Definitely feels like a step back from what we're used to from Marvel. The writing was kinda messy, the jokes fell flat half the time, and some of the music felt out of place. The entire middle section of the film is just plain boring (think season 2 of the Walking Dead :insane:). 

I will say that Brie did a good job though, and all of the action scenes were pretty entertaining, too bad there weren't very many.

Solid 6.0/10.

Btw, seeing the Captain Marvel action sequences constantly reminded me of how Rogue SHOULD have been portayed in the X-Men films.

Edited by Darkowl

13 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Btw, seeing the Captain Marvel action sequences constantly reminded me of how Rogue SHOULD have been portayed in the X-Men films.

Good call.

Did we ever see Rogue fly in the films? I honestly forget.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Good call.

Did we ever see Rogue fly in the films? I honestly forget.

Nope. Such a waste.

In the comics, she got her flight powers by absorbing them from Ms Marvel, another reason I kept thinking of Rogue throughout the movie.

Edited by Darkowl

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The controversial bit is that in the comics it grants the wielder passive abilities that don't require explicit activation of the stones.  They never explained it well enough in the films themselves to know if the intent was meant to be different from that.

Apparently both the Russos and the screenwriters have said their intent was that he didn't use the stone against the Hulk:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12/02/avengers-infinity-war-how-thanos-beat-hulk/

I haven't seen any comments yet where they address how the comic version endows passive strength, endurance, and power enhancement though, so it's hard to even say if they ever thought about that and intended to change the film version of the stones from that.

At least they stuck to the details Thanos doesn't need the Stones in order to take on a superhero hand-to-hand.

Joe Russo says it wasn’t the Infinity Stones that beat Hulk, that was all Thanos.

“I would say that he’s just that powerful,” said Joe Russo. “You didn’t see him actively use the Power Stone in the fight. I think ultimately the way we looked at that fight and the way we talked about it with our stunt team when we were executing it was Hulk is obviously very powerful but he’s a little mindless in his fighting style. It’s aggressive. It’s pummeling. Thanos is the Genghis Khan of the universe. He’s a very skilled fighter and equally as strong. So when you put those two up against each other, the more skilled fighter is going to win. Which is why Hulk has a moment where he overpowers Thanos, but ultimately Thanos is smarter.”

19 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

I read some theories on Dr. Strange

19 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

The fact he could see ALL possibilities, is some what of a stretch,

Even though he's genius level, I doubt he'd be able to process and keep separate all of the information from an infinite number of universes, and, with an 'eidetic' memory, he'd possibly become quickly overloaded, shut down, or go psychotic.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/18/2019 at 3:03 PM, Gatsby77 said:

My favorite is still The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly -- specifically for that final Mexican stand-off scene where the camera repeatedly pans among all three of them.

Quite possibly the best scene in movie history.   

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Even though he's genius level, I doubt he'd be able to process and keep separate all of the information from an infinite number of universes, and, with an 'eidetic' memory, he'd possibly become quickly overloaded, shut down, or go psychotic.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

giphy.gif

Plot Magic, specifically.  :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Plot Magic, specifically.  :smile:

Considering all options - I think the writers and directors chose the most effective (and IMO good) way to shut up the "ifs, ands, or buts" of the fandom.

It's a built-in answer to, "well he/she/they could've..."

I like the Plot Magic.

After passing an (inter)stellar $800+ million on Wednesday this week -- just two weeks into its global release -- Marvel Studio's blockbuster release Captain Marvel will set course for $900 million by close of business this weekend. If Captain Marvel comes in a bit lighter than expected, there's a slim chance it might finish the frame a couple of million bucks shy of the $900 million mark, but that's unlikely. Captain Marvel should have no trouble taking the #2 spot for the weekend, behind Jordan Peele's acclaimed new horror picture Us, which looks to earn as much as $50 million for its debut weekend.

Anyone who has still been fooling themselves into thinking Brie Larson's sci-fi superhero might not pass $1 billion worldwide can start preparing for the inevitable. Captain Marvel should hit that magic number by the end of the first weekend of April (two weeks from this Sunday), the same weekend Warner Bros.' latest DC superhero adaptation Shazam! arrives in theaters.