• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

No. Nothing I said was inaccurate.

Venom was # 1 at the box office its first week...and its second week.

And then fell to # 3 in its third weekend -- against Halloween (which opened to # 1) and A Star Is Born (which did indeed open the same week as Venom, but rose to surpass it in their respective third weekends).

Call me when Captain Marvel finishes third this weekend.

A Star is Born, which opened to barely 1/2 Venom's opening US weekend,and then proceeded to surpass it in the end? Of course, it couldn't touch Venom's 29RT score. #criticalembarrassment

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

No. Nothing I said was inaccurate.

Venom was # 1 at the box office its first week...and its second week.

And then fell to # 3 in its third weekend -- against Halloween (which opened to # 1) and A Star Is Born (which did indeed open the same week as Venom, but rose to surpass it in their respective third weekends).

Call me when Captain Marvel finishes third this weekend.

Ah okay.

So Captain Marvel opens against nothing, has nothing open against it in week two, and immediately drops to #2 in week three against the very first major release of any kind (as opposed to Venom which opened against a major release and had a second one two weeks later), and your point is....?

How about I call you in week four when the second major release comes out against and it drops to #3? Or in week five when it will be #4 or #5? (shrug)

-J.

4 minutes ago, paperheart said:

A Star is Born, which opened to barely 1/2 Venom's opening US weekend,and then proceeded to surpass it in the end? Of course, it couldn't touch Venom's 29RT score. #criticalembarrassment

#nobodycaresaboutrottentomatoscoresanymoreforjustthisreason lol

And...

#855to455worldwideistherealembarrassment

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

6 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Lol I love how you seem to believe people spitballing about box office predictions is somehow a test of intelligence. 

Where’d I say that? You made that up. 

I’m not revisiting it because I believe it’s a test of your intelligence. I’m revisiting it because it’s funny to see someone who hated the movie before it even came out end up being so very wrong. 

And... ya know... to show YOU being wrong about something yet again. 

And yet simultaneously you fail to a knowledge that most if not all of the success this movie

I have no problem saying that’s helped it. ‘Most if not all?’

Prove that. 

is enjoying so far is based less on the quality, and more on being the last chapter before the end of an 11 year story.  (shrug)

And Endgame will benefit by being the final chapter. So?

To your point, your comparison above were summer movies.  This is not a summer movie and it does not have even a fraction of the zeitgeist of Black Panther (not sure why you even tried roping that in, this will not even sniff those domestic numbers). Captain Marvel got taken down by a low budget horror movie in week 3.  Right now this is actually following more like Venom (but with twice the opening weekend, obviously).  

-J.

Zooming right past Venom. 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:18 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Due respect, but the bolded statement is hogwash.

That's like saying folks don't know James Bond films are Bond films -- or that folks didn't know there were two other Nolan-directed Batman films because "Batman" wasn't in the title.

And it ignored that Warner Bros. spent at least $75 million marketing the film.

And that the film went on to make well over $600 million worldwide, and more domestically (even after adjusting for inflation) than any Superman film since Superman II.

Maybe in your experience, but in my experience, most people I interacted with didn't seem to know that it's a Superman movie in 2013. Back then, I didn't talk to a lot of people that ever read a comic book after middle school. Most of them would have no idea that Superman is The Man of Steel.

My parents were probably the only people that knew it before I told them. They grew up with Superman, though.

Edit: Also, the first Nolan Batman movie was titled, "Batman Begins"...

Edited by TwoPiece

42 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Where’d I say that? You made that up. 

I’m not revisiting it because I believe it’s a test of your intelligence. I’m revisiting it because it’s funny to see someone who hated the movie before it even came out end up being so very wrong. 

And... ya know... to show YOU being wrong about something yet again. 

I have no problem saying that’s helped it. ‘Most if not all?’

Prove that. 

And Endgame will benefit by being the final chapter. So?

Zooming right past Venom. 

"Wrong" about box office projections? 

"Wrong" about not liking a movie because of a horrifically miscast actress and a cheap retconned plot device?

So people are "wrong" about opinions and guesses now? 

Lol

You're simply hilarious dude.  

Biggest proselytizing troll the CGC boards have to offer.  

But keep being you.  We love you.  (thumbsu

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Lol

You're simply hilarious dude.  

Biggest proselytizing troll the CGC boards have to offer.  

But keep being you.  We love you.  (thumbsu

-J.

Pot meet kettle.

14 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Pot meet kettle.

Uh yeah no.

I guess you missed the ten+ page lecture-thon and name calling in this thread from that guy against anybody who dared to say anything remotely negative about this movie.  

Check it out.  It's good for a laugh and an eye roll or two

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Don’t think that the irony of the guy championing the “strong woman” angle is/was a manager of a titty-bar is lost on me.  

I think all of you are a bunch of dummies.  

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Don’t think that the irony of the guy championing the “strong woman” angle is/was a manager of a titty-bar is lost on me.  

I think all of you are a bunch of dummies.  

I know you like to calm things down. Or jump in to throw in a joke or a :D (been involved in discussions when you have done this).

Sometimes it is better to let the heat burn up and die down. No offense meant to you. :foryou:

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I know you like to calm things down. Or jump in to throw in a joke or a :D (been involved in discussions when you have done this).

Sometimes it is better to let the heat burn up and die down. No offense meant to you. :foryou:

None taken.  And, yeah, you’re probably right.  I try and diffuse situations more than setting them off.  My last post is contrary to that (I realize it).

i like Chuck (he’s one of my favorite boardies) and Jaydog drives me bonkers most of the time, but I’ll still call it like I see it.  

They’ve both dug in and aren’t going to budge.  Two-piece too.  

The whole back & forth is comical at this point.  

I think Shazam is going to flop like a fish.  It looks like a cheese ball attempt to me.  My daughter says it “looks dumb”.  There’s no buzz for it.  

Hope I’m wrong, but it has stinkier written all over it.

Just now, chrisco37 said:

I think Shazam is going to flop like a fish.  It looks like a cheese ball attempt to me.  My daughter says it “looks dumb”.  There’s no buzz for it.  

Hope I’m wrong, but it has stinkier written all over it.

97% on RT is quite the nice start, along with these early screenings and the social media embargo being lifted one month in advance. Time will tell.