• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I think Shazam is going to flop like a fish.  It looks like a cheese ball attempt to me.  My daughter says it “looks dumb”.  There’s no buzz for it.  

Hope I’m wrong, but it has stinkier written all over it.

reviews are off the charts good.  WB made a brilliant decision to dump the Snyderverse and move forward with more stand alone movies.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/shazam!/critic-reviews

Edited by paperheart

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

97% on RT is quite the nice start, along with these early screenings and the social media embargo being lifted one month in advance. Time will tell.

That`s huge. When they lift a embargo one month in advance they know it`s good and it tells everybody else it`s good. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

10 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

"Wrong" about box office projections? 

"Wrong" about not liking a movie because of a horrifically miscast actress and a cheap retconned plot device?

So people are "wrong" about opinions and guesses now? 

Lol

You're simply hilarious dude.  

Biggest proselytizing troll the CGC boards have to offer.  

But keep being you.  We love you.  (thumbsu

-J.

Wrong about your financial projection for the movie. Duh. Your reading comprehension is terrible. 

14 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Maybe in your experience, but in my experience, most people I interacted with didn't seem to know that it's a Superman movie in 2013. Back then, I didn't talk to a lot of people that ever read a comic book after middle school. Most of them would have no idea that Superman is The Man of Steel.

My parents were probably the only people that knew it before I told them. They grew up with Superman, though.

Edit: Also, the first Nolan Batman movie was titled, "Batman Begins"...

This has nothing to do with my -- or your -- anecdotal experience. The box office numbers simply don't bare that out.

"People didn't know Man of Steel was a Superman movie because 'Superman was in the title" is one of those theories that sounds good, but doesn't reflect the facts at the time.

- As I noted, Warner Brothers spent ~$75 million promoting the film domestically, beginning with two different teaser trailers that ran before The Dark Knight Rises a full _11 months_ before its release. If you saw Dark Knight Rises, you knew this was a Superman film. Period.

- As I noted, Man of Steel made money domestically than Superman III, Superman IV, or Superman Returns -- even after adjusting for inflation.

- It was the number five box office film of the entire year, in a year that included Frozen, Iron Man 3. and the most successful Hunger Games film.

- It was also one of only three films that year to open to more than $100 million domestically -- the other two were (naturally) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Iron Man 3.

Edited by Gatsby77

well I for one wish I could have my 2 hours back after watching US last night. I would have gladly rather have gone to see Captain Marvel again. I'm sorry that i contributed to Captain Marvels drop from the #1 spot but RT and everyone I spoke to was talking up this movie. I knew it wouldnt be as good as Get Out but it was just silly and plain bad.  I get what he was trying to accomplish but the messages left too many holes in the plot and story and made the twist far too predictable. Most of the nearly all black audience left with some form of dissappointment. if the rest of the country feels the same I can see RT audience scores dropping and an immediate drop in US''s 2nd week numbers and possibly a resurgence or sustainment of Captain Marvel''s numbers next week.

CM is a very good popcorn and big screen movie. US is probably best saved for a rental. 

21 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This has nothing to do with my -- or your -- anecdotal experience. The box office numbers simply don't bare that out.

"People didn't know Man of Steel was a Superman movie because 'Superman was in the title" is one of those theories that sounds good, but doesn't reflect the facts at the time.

- As I noted, Warner Brothers spent ~$75 million promoting the film domestically, beginning with two different teaser trailers that ran before The Dark Knight Rises a full _11 months_ before its release. If you saw Dark Knight Rises, you knew this was a Superman film. Period.

- As I noted, Man of Steel made money domestically than Superman III, Superman IV, or Superman Returns -- even after adjusting for inflation.

- It was the number five box office film of the entire year, in a year that included Frozen, Iron Man 3. and the most successful Hunger Games film.

- It was also one of only three films that year to open to more than $100 million domestically -- the other two were (naturally) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Iron Man 3.

There were still a lot of people that didn't know Man of Steel was a Superman movie at the time.

Just because it was marketed, and made some money, doesn't mean that everyone knew it was a Superman movie.

In fact, as I said, the majority of people I knew and spoke to, didn't know it was a Superman movie. Regardless of your numbers.

Edit: And the people I did know at the time, that knew it was a Superman film, all saw it more than once. Hell, I saw it 3 times, which was an abnormally large number for me to see a movie in theaters (at the time).

Edited by TwoPiece

On 3/20/2019 at 10:14 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I still maintain that it would be amazing if Endgame

Reveal hidden contents

Saw Carol go one-on-one against Thanos, lose and die.

Only to then see a now-adult Monica Rambeau take up the mantle of Captain Marvel by film's end.

I would not hate this :)

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Which is why I think a Disney studio would not go down that path as it would be so impactful and shocking to the general audience. But it sure would be interesting.

Agreed.

It most likely will end with Captain America and Iron Man going out in style as Endgame is going to be really the end for a lot of characters.

Captain Marvel is really going to be the face of the new phase.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed.

It most likely will end with Captain America and Iron Man going out in style as Endgame is going to be really the end for a lot of characters.

Chris Evans has become my go-to live reference for what Captain America would look like. He has immersed himself in the role so wonderfully. It is going to be a sad transition when that day comes.

:frown:

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed.

Feige reiterated, recently, that Endgame is really about the Original 6. Captain Marvel isn't just going to show up and steal the show (thankfully).

Marvel doesn't always get everything right, and neither do the Russo Bros (Civil War isn't a great movie IMO), but after seeing Infinity War... After all of that hype... And not even thinking how it could live up to it... And then blew that hype out of the water... They have a lot of good will - but now even more hype. I don't know how they're gonna pull it off.

If they stick mainly to the guys that lived through the Battle of NY, through Tony's Ultron experiment to help defend mankind, etc. That's the way to go. They're the one's that started it all and have the most attachment.