• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

There were still a lot of people that didn't know Man of Steel was a Superman movie at the time.

Just because it was marketed, and made some money, doesn't mean that everyone knew it was a Superman movie.

In fact, as I said, the majority of people I knew and spoke to, didn't know it was a Superman movie. Regardless of your numbers.

Edit: And the people I did know at the time, that knew it was a Superman film, all saw it more than once. Hell, I saw it 3 times, which was an abnormally large number for me to see a movie in theaters (at the time).

:screwy: Everybody knows that Superman is the Man of Steel.

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed.

It most likely will end with Captain America and Iron Man going out in style as Endgame is going to be really the end for a lot of characters.

Captain Marvel is really going to be the face of the new phase.

I keep thinking about 1) all the rumors about Kang in the next phase and 2) Carol's role in Avengers #200 as mother of Marcus Immortus. Kang is also the easiest way to keep the classic big gun Marvel names around in some capacity in a next phase headlined by different characters/actors. (They can be used "out of time" as needed and played by actors who aren't necessarily tied so closely to these characters' movie brands.)

Strictly from a "follow the story" perspective, do I need to see CM before Endgame? Time is tight for me the next couple weeks; if I can catch it after Endgame at a second-run theater that would be easier for me. But I think Infinity War would have been hard to follow at the outset had I not seen Thor 3 first; don't want to be in that spot.

3 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Strictly from a "follow the story" perspective, do I need to see CM before Endgame? Time is tight for me the next couple weeks; if I can catch it after Endgame at a second-run theater that would be easier for me. But I think Infinity War would have been hard to follow at the outset had I not seen Thor 3 first; don't want to be in that spot.

Don't HAVE to most likely, though I suspect there are some things that happen in CM that will play a part in Endgame.

Edited by Chuck Gower

5 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I keep thinking about 1) all the rumors about Kang in the next phase and 2) Carol's role in Avengers #200 as mother of Marcus Immortus. Kang is also the easiest way to keep the classic big gun Marvel names around in some capacity in a next phase headlined by different characters/actors. (They can be used "out of time" as needed and played by actors who aren't necessarily tied so closely to these characters' movie brands.)

I'm not convinced any of these characters are just going to disappear and not be around anymore. They may not have their own movies, but they can still be in an Avengers movie or make an appearance in another movie. Having Hulk in Thor's movie (Ragnarok) was a great move and I suspect we'll see more of that as it was a big winner at the box office as well. 

Edited by Chuck Gower

15 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Honestly I don't think you need to see Captain Marvel to understand Endgame.  It mostly filled in her background and didn't tie directly to the Thanos storyline, except insofar as we know Captain Marvel will team up with the Avengers.  At least on the surface, it didn't seem as tightly bound to the anticipated plot of Endgame as, say, all the quantum realm stuff in Ant Man and the Wasp.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I'm not convinced any of these characters are just going to disappear and not be around anymore. They may not have their own movies, but they can still be in an Avengers movie or make an appearance in another movie. Having Hulk in Thor's movie (Ragnarok) was a great move and I suspect we'll see more of that as it was a big winner at the box office as well. 

That's what I'm thinking; and playing with time (via Kang) is one easy avenue. Of course, there's a bunch of ways to ride them off into the sunset for a while and bring them back later in some way that makes another actor acceptable.

I also think people make too much of this point about Jackman & Wolverine, Evans and Cap, Downey and IM etc....they have all done great jobs but push comes to shove, they are just actors. Someone else can and will one day play these characters. We've had various Supermans, Batmans, James Bonds etc. Of course viewers always chatter about who's better, who's worse in the role over the years but if you're a fan of the character, you go see the latest interpretation and give the new actor a chance. 

Sure I wish Evans could be Cap forever but I'd much rather see someone else than no Cap again. (And I don't think Disney bought these properties just to give them expiration dates.)

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

That's what I'm thinking; and playing with time (via Kang) is one easy avenue. Of course, there's a bunch of ways to ride them off into the sunset for a while and bring them back later in some way that makes another actor acceptable.

I also think people make too much of this point about Jackman & Wolverine, Evans and Cap, Downey and IM etc....they have all done great jobs but push comes to shove, they are just actors. Someone else can and will one day play these characters. We've had various Supermans, Batmans, James Bonds etc. Of course viewers always chatter about who's better, who's worse in the role over the years but if you're a fan of the character, you go see the latest interpretation and give the new actor a chance. 

Sure I wish Evans could be Cap forever but I'd much rather see someone else than no Cap again. (And I don't think Disney bought these properties just to give them expiration dates.)

All of this is true, but it's worth noting that every one of the big Avengers has alternate versions (multiple alternate versions!) in the comics -- and that two of these, Bucky / Winter Soldier and Rhodey / War Machine, are already established in the MCU.  (Plus they sort of teased Beta Ray Bill in Ragnarok.)  I could easily imagine them retiring the originals and building up the replacements before eventually cycling back to the original characters with new actors.

I'm biased but the character I want to see more and more of is Chris Hemsworth's Thor.  He's awesome, I don't want to see him go away, and I worry that if they cast another actor as Thor they'll go the ridiculous route and give us a female Thor.  I'd much rather see Valkyrie in her own movie than that sort of gimmick.

To be honest, the way they can seamlessly "de-age" actors nowadays, these same actors can keep coming back for 20 more years if they want.  I could have sworn I was watching Samuel L. Jackson (circa 1995) during 'Captain Marvel' -- there was nothing in the effects that ever made me think it wasn't him from that era.  Flawless.

So give me a 52-year-old Chris Evans as Cap any day!  :)

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Carol Danvers is tied to the Infinity Stones. That may play a part in Endgame. And while I think Endgame will be more Stark and Rogers story,  Carol and Scott Lang will be the two x-factors that weren’t part of the last battle that help turn the tide. Plus, all the Avengers in Endgame are not only fighting to save the universe, but each have lost something personal, whether it’s family or friends. For Endgame to have the most resonance, it’d be good to know what Carol Danvers has lost. Conclusion: I’d make time and see Captain Marvel before Endgame. Plus, that mid credits scene isn’t guaranteed to be in Endgame. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Carol Danvers is tied to the Infinity Stones. That may play a part in Endgame. And while I think Endgame will be more Stark and Rogers story,  Carol and Scott Lang will be the two x-factors that weren’t part of the last battle that help turn the tide. Plus, all the Avengers in Endgame are not only fighting to save the universe, but each have lost something personal, whether it’s family or friends. For Endgame to have the most resonance, it’d be good to know what Carol Danvers has lost. Conclusion: I’d make time and see Captain Marvel before Endgame. Plus, that mid credits scene isn’t guaranteed to be in Endgame. 

Alright, Steve Rogers, you don't need to quote yourself from the trailer... lol

"We've lost - all of us. We lost friends. We lost family."

11 hours ago, Drummy said:

To be honest, the way they can seamlessly "de-age" actors nowadays, these same actors can keep coming back for 20 more years if they want.  I could have sworn I was watching Samuel L. Jackson (circa 1995) during 'Captain Marvel' -- there was nothing in the effects that ever made me think it wasn't him from that era.  Flawless.

I'll take the Old Man Logan story with Cap replacing Logan.  A very old jaded Cap in a dystopian desert future with a cyborg blind hawkeye fighting Old Man Hulk and inbred hulk family.  And they're out to save a pre-teen Scott Lang's grandkid. 

Either that or a 1-season Marvel Streaming show about Cap that is essentially like Keifer Sutherland's 24 (this can be done with Black Widow or Maria Hill instead, if it makes more sense), but with Shield instead of the CTU.

With all that being said, I think Cap and Iron Man are the best casted heroes of Marvel movies so far.  Loki the best casted movie villain, with Killmonger 2nd.

21 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

All of this is true, but it's worth noting that every one of the big Avengers has alternate versions (multiple alternate versions!) in the comics -- and that two of these, Bucky / Winter Soldier and Rhodey / War Machine, are already established in the MCU.  (Plus they sort of teased Beta Ray Bill in Ragnarok.)  I could easily imagine them retiring the originals and building up the replacements before eventually cycling back to the original characters with new actors.

I'm biased but the character I want to see more and more of is Chris Hemsworth's Thor.  He's awesome, I don't want to see him go away, and I worry that if they cast another actor as Thor they'll go the ridiculous route and give us a female Thor.  I'd much rather see Valkyrie in her own movie than that sort of gimmick.

I would say this sounds like a good plan. 

Also of the big three Cap, Iron Man and Thor I would expect Thor to be around somehow because of the Asgard factor.

11 hours ago, revat said:
23 hours ago, Drummy said:

With all that being said, I think Cap and Iron Man are the best casted heroes of Marvel movies so far. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8634635

In which Scott Mendelson cites $405-$410M as the domestic floor for Captain Marvel even if it slows down from its current Hunger Games/The Dark Knight pace to a more moderate Catching Fire/Dark Knight Rises one.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/03/27/captain-marvel-brie-larson-box-office-disney-avengers-suicide-squad-deadpool-wonder-woman/#30801a071c5a

Either way, it's at $327.9M through yesterday.