• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

I saw it over the weekend and thought it was a pretty standard Marvel movie, somewhere around the average-to-good area, comparable with several of the other origin movies (Ant-Man, Thor, Cap). I thought the overall story was good and enjoyed getting some backstory on Fury (and Coulson!). I also agree with others that Goose was awesome.

As for Brie, after watching this movie, I don't think she's the right fit for the "RDJ/Tony Stark" role of the franchise moving forward. She just doesn't have the natural charisma and doesn't display the cocky arrogance needed (as opposed to, say, someone like ScarJo) in a believable way. Some of the weakest parts of this movie for me was when she tried to make jokes or crack wise during a fight scene. It felt forced and not natural.

Where I think she'd work better is in the "Chris Evans/Capt. America" slot. I think she portrayed the "gritty determination / make things happen through sheer force of will" aspect very well. The parts I enjoyed were where she showed that quiet,internal confidence just by her presence and posture. The more believable parts for me were when she was direct and to the point in her interactions (like the soldier she was) and the use of moral authority to change the game and turn things around.

2c

5 minutes ago, Antpark said:

As for Brie, after watching this movie, I don't think she's the right fit for the "RDJ/Tony Stark" role of the franchise moving forward. She just doesn't have the natural charisma and doesn't display the cocky arrogance needed (as opposed to, say, someone like ScarJo) in a believable way. Some of the weakest parts of this movie for me was when she tried to make jokes or crack wise during a fight scene. It felt forced and not natural.

Where I think she'd work better is in the "Chris Evans/Capt. America" slot. I think she portrayed the "gritty determination / make things happen through sheer force of will" aspect very well. The parts I enjoyed were where she showed that quiet,internal confidence just by her presence and posture. The more believable parts for me were when she was direct and to the point in her interactions (like the soldier she was) and the use of moral authority to change the game and turn things around.

2c

Makes sense. They tried to make Cap the "face of the franchise" in Phase 1, but Iron Man had won everyone over.

Makes sense that they'd try to make her the next face, and someone else (Spider-Man?) will most likely win us over instead.

26 minutes ago, Antpark said:

I mostly agree, except I don't get the Scarlett comparison given that she has even less charm than Brie, and at best she's average or barely passable as an actress or action star.  If she didn't have the classic hourglass body shape none of us would have ever even heard Scarlett's name.

49 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I mostly agree, except I don't get the Scarlett comparison given that she has even less charm than Brie, and at best she's average or barely passable as an actress or action star.  If she didn't have the classic hourglass body shape none of us would have ever even heard Scarlett's name.

Couldn't disagree more.  I've been aware of her since Ghost World in 2001, before she had the hourglass figure.  I remember reading a review of that film that praised her performance, but also stated what a shame it was that her deep voice would prevent her from ever becoming a household name.  I also think she demonstrated her action-star chops in "Lucy" and the Marvel movies.

36 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Couldn't disagree more.  I've been aware of her since Ghost World in 2001, before she had the hourglass figure.  I remember reading a review of that film that praised her performance, but also stated what a shame it was that her deep voice would prevent her from ever becoming a household name.  I also think she demonstrated her action-star chops in "Lucy" and the Marvel movies.

Odd to point out given that Ghost World is the very first place I noticed her rockin' figure, although Thora Birch has even more of one so it seemed less extreme next to her.  And I agree with critics at the time, I've always hated her voice.

Ghost-World-2-4.jpg

Couldn't agree MORE. She's the definition of a one-note actress. Watch her deliver three sentences of dialogue in Ghost World and then watch her deliver three sentences in ANY Marvel movie. Exactly the same. You're picturing it in your head as you're reading this. 

BUT, she's a 'babe' who is happy to play second chair to any of the male heroes. The Basement Nerds love that.

I also agree Brie ISN'T RDJ - who IS? Unless Starlord is going to play a bigger part in the new Phase, they'll have a hard time EVER replacing that personality. Which I'm hoping GOTG playing a bigger part is exactly what happens and we get a lot more 'cosmic' movies. Captain Marvel, Starlord and the Guardians, bring in the Fantastic Four.... Adam Warlock!!!

Black Panther can man the human earth bound stories. It won't be Spider-man leading the phase - he's a funny kid, but he's not RDJ either. 

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Couldn't agree MORE. She's the definition of a one-note actress. Watch her deliver three sentences of dialogue in Ghost World and then watch her deliver three sentences in ANY Marvel movie. Exactly the same. You're picturing it in your head as you're reading this. 

BUT, she's a 'babe' who is happy to play second chair to any of the male heroes. The Basement Nerds love that.

I also agree Brie ISN'T RDJ - who IS? Unless Starlord is going to play a bigger part in the new Phase, they'll have a hard time EVER replacing that personality. Which I'm hoping GOTG playing a bigger part is exactly what happens and we get a lot more 'cosmic' movies. Captain Marvel, Starlord and the Guardians, bring in the Fantastic Four.... Adam Warlock!!!

Black Panther can man the human earth bound stories. It won't be Spider-man leading the phase - he's a funny kid, but he's not RDJ either. 

Clearly, we're all just waiting for the Rock to come in as Moon Knight!

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Couldn't agree MORE. She's the definition of a one-note actress. Watch her deliver three sentences of dialogue in Ghost World and then watch her deliver three sentences in ANY Marvel movie. Exactly the same.

You're just criticizing her because you hate women. (tsk) You've tried to hide it, but now it has come out.

19 hours ago, nearmint said:

I was going to say Ghost World made her stand out. Also her role with Bill Murray in Lost In Translation, which did bring her name to 'household-level' status. But I really liked Lucy as it took advantage of her somewhat deadpan take at times.

Walking around Disneyworld and seeing what characters are worn the most, Iron Man, Captain America and Black Panther are the big properties on hats and shirts. Huge! Loads of Captain America t-shirts especially with his shield symbol.

With Captain Marvel, the only thing I noticed were two ladies with these very nicely designed backpacks made in the style of her final uniform. Really nice item. But that was the extent of Captain Marvel merchandising on display.

15 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

They just haven't really given her much of anything to do in the MCU. If she's one-note, it's because that's how she's written.

I've never understood her as a member of the Avengers, period, regardless of writing.  What good is she, or Hawkeye?  They're unpowered heroes paired up with extremely powerful ones.  I liked her paired up with Daredevil in the 70s because he's only a low-powered hero, but Widow paired up with Hulk or Thor is just a bizarre mismatch.

18 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Widow paired up with Hulk or Thor is just a bizarre mismatch.

The ultimate example of this was in the first Avengers movie where Hulk is chasing Widow around the helicarrier.  That whole scene was absurd...Hulk should have ripped Widow apart within the first few seconds of that chase, or at virtually any other moment during it.  :eyeroll:

Hulk-chases-Black-Widow.png

Edited by fantastic_four