• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Let's be honest though, if Fury didn't page her in Infinity War, I would doubt that this hits the $1 billion mark on it's individual merit.

It's not a particularly great standalone film - let alone tie-in.

Let's be honest though, your sexism is disgusting.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Isn't 'Punisher: War Zone' the oddball where it is produced by Lionsgate, but was under the Marvel Studios umbrella as a first film release? Or is that ignored?

You're right - Punisher War Zone was co-produced by Lionsgate and Marvel Studios.

I feel like if The Incredible Hulk counts within the Marvel Cinematic Universe (co-produced by Universal and Marvel Studios), Punisher War Zone should as well. People just don't because a) it's bad; and b) it was the lowest-grossing Marvel Studios film.

I also just learned that  while Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) was a Fox movie, it was also co-produced by Marvel Studios. 

Huh...

10 hours ago, Drummy said:

Agree with that -- it's a solid, fun movie but its WW total definitely plays into its role in the MCU.  Their brand is so strong that, as they say, 'all boats rise with the tide'.  

Then why didn't anyone say that before it came out?

Why is it only now being used almost as an excuse to its success?

Why didn't Ant-man and the Wasp, the first movie after Infinity War hit a Billion? (215 dom/622 ww)

Why'd Thor: Ragnarok, with both Thor and the Hulk not hit a Billion leading into IW? (315 dom/853 ww)

Why'd Spider-man:Homecoming, finally returning the #1 merchandised superhero on the PLANET to the MCU not hit a Billion? (334 dom/880 ww)

There's no question, the positioning of the movie helped it... but it's FAR from the only thing that is making it a SMASH hit. 

ONE BILLION is a BIG deal. It's only the 38th movie in HISTORY to break that mark.

Comic Book fans don't get it... which makes sense, as their printed versions of these characters hit an all time low in February for print runs, while the movie universe continues to take over the lives of these characters....

And for the record:

Hawkeye and Black Widow were always weak, but they have their place. 

Stark Industries sold weapons and technology all over the world. His dad was a founder of SHIELD. It just makes sense Tony’s company has done plenty of business with them.

Having said that, Tony Stark hacks SHIELD in the first Avengers movie. Cap doesn’t approve.  

Gamora, of the MCU, falls in love, loves her daddy, and cries - NOT the deadliest woman in the galaxy. That might actually be Nebula. 

11 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

It's not really fair to compare MCU Marvel movies with those that came before and are now part of the canonical connected universe.

It's fair for the point that I've now heard about a dozen media pundits make--this is NOT the first GO GO WOMEN SUPERHEROES, FEMALE EMPOWERMENT! movie from Marvel.  I assumed you knew about Elektra but just slightly overstated Captain Marvel as the first Marvel female film as opposed to just the first MCU female film, but I could tell at least two-thirds of the media pundits I've heard say that don't have any idea that's not the case.  Nor was Wonder Woman that for DC, either, due to yet another movie I'm sure we're all also trying as hard as we can to forget:  :eek:

catwomanff.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yea, sitting on the Quinjet doing their best Jarvis impression.  Or Hawkeye really just deserves to be in in some bad futuristic medieval-throwback fantasy film as its lame version of Legolas.

tenor.gif?itemid=3526793

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It's fair for the point that I've now heard about a dozen media pundits make--this is NOT the first GO GO WOMEN SUPERHEROES, FEMALE EMPOWERMENT! movie from Marvel.  I assumed you knew about Elektra but just slightly overstated Captain Marvel as the first Marvel female film as opposed to just the first MCU female film, but I could tell at least two-thirds of the media pundits I've heard say that don't have any idea that's not the case.  Nor was Wonder Woman that for DC, either, due to yet another movie I'm sure we're all also trying as hard as we can to forget:  :eek:

catwomanff.jpg

?

Umm...Supergirl predates Catwoman by a solid 20 years.

And yes - I went to see it in the theater.

Worse yet, I went to see it *instead* of Star Trek III.

Again, I was talking about MCU films -- as in post-2008. Elektra was as irrelevant to the current MCU as Supergirl was to the Christopher Reeve Superman films.

We might as well be discussing the influence of Dolph Lundgren's Punisher movie on the current roster of Avengers.

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, sitting on the Quinjet doing their best Jarvis impression.  Or Hawkeye really just deserves to be in in some bad futuristic medieval-throwback fantasy film as its lame version of Legolas.

tenor.gif?itemid=3526793

Well SOMEONE has to watch the Quinjet! Nothing worse than thinking you have it parked safely out of sight and then some thug Skrull comes and hot wires it. 

6 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Gamora, of the MCU, falls in love, loves her daddy, and cries - NOT the deadliest woman in the galaxy. That might actually be Nebula

That's who I think may surprise folks when she takes the Infinity Gauntlet from Thanos. Like in the comic books.

Then why didn't anyone say that before it came out?

Why is it only now being used almost as an excuse to its success?

Why didn't Ant-man and the Wasp, the first movie after Infinity War hit a Billion? (215 dom/622 ww)

Why'd Thor: Ragnarok, with both Thor and the Hulk not hit a Billion leading into IW? (315 dom/853 ww)

Why'd Spider-man:Homecoming, finally returning the #1 merchandised superhero on the PLANET to the MCU not hit a Billion? (334 dom/880 ww)

There's no question, the positioning of the movie helped it... but it's FAR from the only thing that is making it a SMASH hit. 

ONE BILLION is a BIG deal. It's only the 38th movie in HISTORY to break that mark.

Comic Book fans don't get it... which makes sense, as their printed versions of these characters hit an all time low in February for print runs, while the movie universe continues to take over the lives of these characters....

This x 1000.

Lot of Monday-morning quarterbacking in this thread trying to discount Captain Marvel under the guise of "at this point ANY MCU film" inevitability.

But before it came out, folks here on these boards were assuming the film would do just Doctor Strange numbers -- primarily because she's a C-list (at best) comic character.

There's more to this movie's popularity than its just being a lead-in to Endgame.

For its to have so far outperformed Ragnarok, Homecoming, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and more indicates that its actually resonating with audiences and earning repeat viewings.

Heck...it's even doing better than Venom!   :screwy:

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That's who I think may surprise folks when she takes the Infinity Gauntlet from Thanos. Like in the comic books.

Nebula did that? All this time I thought it was Gamora...

Confession - I never read Infinity Gauntlet # 5 or 6.

As amazing as # 4 was (it taught me the word "nihilism" and Wolverine's and Cloak's deaths were unforgettable), I found the switch from Perez to Lim jarring. Also not sure I could afford $2.95 a pop once school was back in session.

Since I've been quoted a couple times here, I'll chime in again briefly.  First, I meant to note $300m as the 'Endgame' opening weekend numbers domestically; international total will of course be a lot higher.

Second, I liked 'Captain Marvel' just fine (7/10) and thought it was a good MCU movie.  And I think it's overall box office is great, especially as it's the first female-led MCU movie since they began the universe in 2008.  But I also think it had a lot of MCU fans seeing it as a 'must-view movie' (rather than Ant-Man and the Wasp, etc.) due to that final credit scene in 'Endgame'.  At that moment it got tied much more tightly to the 'Avengers' storyline, which has become the driving force in the MCU.  That tie only gets people in the theater once, though, so I'm glad to see it has such legs (I saw it twice in the theaters and liked it even better the second time.)

Finally, I just want to say that I don't equate box office with the overall quality of a film.  I've seen terrible movies (such as some of the Transformers films) do huge numbers, while other amazing films do poorly.  CM is in the best of both worlds to me -- a good movie that's done awesome financially.  I look forward to her role in the MCU going forward.

35 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This x 1000.

Lot of Monday-morning quarterbacking in this thread trying to discount Captain Marvel under the guise of "at this point ANY MCU film" inevitability.

But before it came out, folks here on these boards were assuming the film would do just Doctor Strange numbers -- primarily because she's a C-list (at best) comic character.

There's more to this movie's popularity than its just being a lead-in to Endgame.

For its to have so far outperformed Ragnarok, Homecoming, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and more indicates that its actually resonating with audiences and earning repeat viewings.

Heck...it's even doing better than Venom!   :screwy:

I’ve seen Captain Marvel five times myself ( yes, I have a life), which must account for these inflated numbers.

18 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Since I've been quoted a couple times here, I'll chime in again briefly.  First, I meant to note $300m as the 'Endgame' opening weekend numbers domestically; international total will of course be a lot higher.

Second, I liked 'Captain Marvel' just fine (7/10) and thought it was a good MCU movie.  And I think it's overall box office is great, especially as it's the first female-led MCU movie since they began the universe in 2008.  But I also think it had a lot of MCU fans seeing it as a 'must-view movie' (rather than Ant-Man and the Wasp, etc.) due to that final credit scene in 'Endgame'.  At that moment it got tied much more tightly to the 'Avengers' storyline, which has become the driving force in the MCU.  That tie only gets people in the theater once, though, so I'm glad to see it has such legs (I saw it twice in the theaters and liked it even better the second time.)

Finally, I just want to say that I don't equate box office with the overall quality of a film.  I've seen terrible movies (such as some of the Transformers films) do huge numbers, while other amazing films do poorly.  CM is in the best of both worlds to me -- a good movie that's done awesome financially.  I look forward to her role in the MCU going forward.

Yeah I agree (though I may like it just slightly better (8/10), and as you say, the fact that it has legs is exactly what has surprised many of its naysayers.

To dismiss Black Widow and Hawkeye from the Avengers is like dismissing Black Canary or Green Arrow from the JLA. I wouldnt so lightly underestimate the effectiveness of intelligence or a well placed trick arrow.

52 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Nebula did that? All this time I thought it was Gamora...

Confession - I never read Infinity Gauntlet # 5 or 6.

As amazing as # 4 was (it taught me the word "nihilism" and Wolverine's and Cloak's deaths were unforgettable), I found the switch from Perez to Lim jarring. Also not sure I could afford $2.95 a pop once school was back in session.

nebula01.thumb.PNG.3fb6d98e0ba548a90f45ea4c3f73a889.PNG

nebula02.PNG.3c58863f67a84bde318413fc2da7a4c3.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

9 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I also just learned that  while Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) was a Fox movie, it was also co-produced by Marvel Studios. 

Huh...

It's because of Avi Arad, who founded Marvel Studios in 1996.

Marvel Studios

In August 1996, Marvel created Marvel Studios, an incorporation of Marvel Films, due to the sale of New World Communications Group, Inc., Marvel's fellow Andrews Group subsidiary in film and television stations, to News Corporation/Fox. Filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to raise money to finance the new corporation, Marvel, Isaac Perlmutter's Zib, Inc. and Avi Arad sold Toy Biz stocks, which Marvel had started and took public in February 1995. Toy Biz filed an offering of 7.5 million shares with a closing price of $20.125 at the time, making the offering worth approximately $150 million. Toy Biz sought to sell 1 million shares, and Marvel sought to sell 2.5 million shares.

Jerry Calabrese, the president of Marvel Entertainment Group and Avi Arad, head of Marvel Films and a director of Toy Biz, were assigned tandem control of Marvel Studios. Under Calabrese and Arad, Marvel sought to control pre-production by commissioning scripts, hiring directors, and casting characters, providing the package to a major studio partner for filming and distribution. Arad said of the goal for control, "When you get into business with a big studio, they are developing a hundred or 500 projects; you get totally lost. That isn't working for us. We're just not going to do it anymore. Period."

Marvel Studios arranged a seven-year development deal with 20th Century Fox to cover markets in the United States and internationally. In the following December, Marvel Entertainment Group went through a reorganization plan, including Marvel Studios as part of its strategic investment. By 1997, Marvel Studios was actively pursuing various film productions based on Marvel characters, including the eventual films X-Men (2000), Daredevil (2003), Elektra (2005) and Fantastic Four (2005). Unproduced projects included Prince Namor, based on the character Namor and to be directed by Philip Kaufman, and Mort the Dead Teenager, based on the comic book of the same name and written by John Payson and Mort creator Larry Hama. Marvel was developing a Captain America animated series with Saban Entertainment for Fox Kids Network to premiere in fall 1998. However, due to the bankruptcy the series was cancelled after only character designs and a one-minute promotional reel were made.

The first film packaged and licensed by Marvel Studios was Blade, based on the vampire hunter Blade. The film was directed by Stephen Norrington and starred Wesley Snipes as Blade. It was released on August 21, 1998, grossing $70,087,718 in the United States and Canada and $131,183,530 worldwide. In 1999, Marvel licensed Spider-Man to Sony.

Blade was followed by X-Men, which was directed by Bryan Singer and was released on July 14, 2000. X-Men grossed $157,299,717 in the United States and Canada and $296,250,053 worldwide. Blade and X-Men demonstrated that widely popular films could be made out of comic book characters not familiar to the general public.

Leading up to X-Men's release, Marvel Studios negotiated a deal with then-functional Artisan Entertainment, successful with the low-budget The Blair Witch Project, for a co-production joint venture that included rights to 15 Marvel characters including Captain America, Thor, Black Panther, Iron Fist, and Deadpool. Artisan would finance and distribute while Marvel would develop licensing and merchandising tie-ins. The resulting production library, which would also include TV series, direct-to-video films and internet projects, would be co-owned. With the deal at the time, 24 Marvel properties were then in various stages of development.

Blade is the first Marvel Studios production. I never knew that.

They're almost all co-produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige from Blade onwards, although Arad didn't promote Feige to be a producer until 1999 while X-Men was being made.  The main quality difference starting with Iron Man and the start of the MCU isn't the films being with Marvel, it's Feige being in charge instead of Avi Arad.  He's shaping these movies better than all of the other studio producers before him or since, which isn't a HUGE surprise, he's also the first fanboy who's ever been in that job.  Geoff Johns is the second, but obviously it didn't work out for him.  As far as I could tell Johns was never given the complete discretion and control of all the films that Feige was.

Edited by fantastic_four