• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Then why didn't anyone say that before it came out?

Why is it only now being used almost as an excuse to its success?

Why didn't Ant-man and the Wasp, the first movie after Infinity War hit a Billion? (215 dom/622 ww)

Why'd Thor: Ragnarok, with both Thor and the Hulk not hit a Billion leading into IW? (315 dom/853 ww)

Why'd Spider-man:Homecoming, finally returning the #1 merchandised superhero on the PLANET to the MCU not hit a Billion? (334 dom/880 ww)

There's no question, the positioning of the movie helped it... but it's FAR from the only thing that is making it a SMASH hit. 

ONE BILLION is a BIG deal. It's only the 38th movie in HISTORY to break that mark.

Comic Book fans don't get it... which makes sense, as their printed versions of these characters hit an all time low in February for print runs, while the movie universe continues to take over the lives of these characters....

Because girls. 

15 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

You're right - Punisher War Zone was co-produced by Lionsgate and Marvel Studios.

I feel like if The Incredible Hulk counts within the Marvel Cinematic Universe (co-produced by Universal and Marvel Studios), Punisher War Zone should as well. People just don't because a) it's bad; and b) it was the lowest-grossing Marvel Studios film.

I also just learned that  while Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) was a Fox movie, it was also co-produced by Marvel Studios. 

Huh...

The Incredible Hulk is 100% an MCU film. General Ross and Tony Stark both appeared. It's also referenced in The Avengers and included in Marvel Studios' Phase 1 sets,

Edit. Never mind, I misread that you typed, "if The Incredible Hulk counts". My bad.

Edited by TwoPiece

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

To dismiss Black Widow and Hawkeye from the Avengers is like dismissing Black Canary or Green Arrow from the JLA. I wouldnt so lightly underestimate the effectiveness of intelligence or a well placed trick arrow.

Canary and Arrow are awful JL members IMO. You don't need more than 1 pure human (Batman).

They have their uses, but human players shouldn't be in for every mission when you have OP guys like Superman or The Vision that can prevent unnecessary suicide.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

It didn't earn $1 billion on it's own merit.

Nick Fury could've paged Eros/Starfox, who no one outside of comic fans know, and it would've made >$1 billion.

Then why didn't any of you know-it-all genius' predict it? Why'd all the haters predict it'd do Doctor Strange numbers? Suddenly you all 'knew it all along' in hindsight. No one's buying that, kid. You hoped it would do bad. You wished it would do bad. You PRAYED it would do poorly.

And you were wrong.

So now you're making a new excuse. No one buys it.

Beside we already know the real reason why YOU hate it:

On 3/19/2019 at 11:18 PM, TwoPiece said:

Captain Marvel is not a compelling character, not because she's a "strong woman" (doesn't even appear as an emotionally strong person - OP level for no legitimate reason notwithstanding), but because she has no arc other than feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU.

Some people can't come to grips with a female-led movie being mediocre.

I call for all movies to be critiqued equally. You could switch Larson's and Law's roles and it would be an equally mediocre film. You could swap out Larson with Gadot and it'd still be a mediocre movie.

Luckily we're gonna get the defining film of the 21st century in 3 weeks. I wonder if the Wasp was a co-lead instead of Ant-Man if some people would enjoy it more?

That shouldn't matter, but oddly enough, to some it would.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Some people can't come to grips with a female-led movie being mediocre.

Subjective Opinion. MORE think OTHERWISE.

And I got news for you, millennial boy - there are millions of you out there that think their OWN opinion somehow stands out above the rest, just because they've been on facebook or taking selfies of themselves since they were 8 years old. It's NOT.

You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're the all singing, all dancing cr*p of the world.”

AND you'll probably have to Google that because you're not even a real movie critic.

I call for all movies to be critiqued equally.

HILARIOUS. Who decides equality? YOU???

I present (again):

"Captain Marvel is not a compelling character, not because she's a "strong woman" (doesn't even appear as an emotionally strong person - OP level for no legitimate reason notwithstanding), but because she has no arc other than feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU."

Equal, my Aunt Petunia. You may have to Google that reference too, as you're not an actual comic book historian either.

You could switch Larson's and Law's roles and it would be an equally mediocre film. You could swap out Larson with Gadot and it'd still be a mediocre movie.

Subjective Opinion from an angry white boy who lashes out at feminism.

Here's another Google project for you, newb: 

"I'm sick to death of seeing things from
Tight-lipped condescending mommie's little chauvinists"

Luckily we're gonna get the defining film of the 21st century in 3 weeks.

Already decided the testosterone movie will be winner ahead of time, eh? You like movies about Gladiators? (Another movie pop culture reference for you to Google).

I wonder if the Wasp was a co-lead instead of Ant-Man if some people would enjoy it more?

meh

That shouldn't matter, but oddly enough, to some it would.

Look at the pain of this movie's success on your words. It hurts, doesn't it? To see a female MARVEL superhero achieve this success? It's everything you've ever feared, isn't it? The big scary world outside of your parent's basement isn't fair! There's no do-over! There's no reset! There's no Face-tune!

Every intelligent youngster I talk to about college I always suggest the mental health industry as the rising field of the future.

Edited by Chuck Gower

And I'll present the one who TRULY has an agenda, here in clear print:

TwoPiece Quote:

"Captain Marvel is not a compelling character, not because she's a "strong woman" (doesn't even appear as an emotionally strong person - OP level for no legitimate reason notwithstanding), but because she has no arc other than feminist tropes that don't really have a good place in the MCU."