• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

In most Marvel Superhero movies, the biggest critics are usually the comic book fans, who don't like it because it doesn't follow the comic legend. I understand that - I get that. They'll always compare it to something that was done in a comic or whatever. It's an unwinnable debate. You can't talk anyone out of their childhood memories.

Me, I try to see it as a whole new separate thing. 

EXCEPT for Spider-man. Those movies suck because they're WAY off the comics.

B|

7 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

Saw this on Reddit today.  Taken and Disney's California Adventure.

https://old.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/b9uz25/we_dont_deserve_brie_larson/

ggb9ezbmqhq21.jpg?width=576&auto=webp&s=2b34f67200516556d6fd0425392f1e7820b23e37

Very cute. But then read down further what this was - a Disney marketing event to celebrate the opening of a new ride. This was a staged photo event.

'The cast is at Disneyland for an Avengers ride opening as part of the movie press tour'

'well a press tour for the movie isnt exactly off time'

'It’s an event, you think 10kids in matching costumes just ran into her on the street? It’s possible but unlikely'

'This is clearly a planned photo op'

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Very cute. But then read down further what this was - a Disney marketing event to celebrate the opening of a new ride. This was a staged photo event.

'The cast is at Disneyland for an Avengers ride opening as part of the movie press tour'

'It’s an event, you think 10kids in matching costumes just ran into her on the street? It’s possible but unlikely'

Careful Bosco, you are going to be called a hater.

It was an Avengers: Endgame press tour at Disneyland that had different children's groups come through for photos and signings along with donating $5M to a children's hospital, ride opening and other events they included into the gathering.

Avengers: Endgame cast surprises kids at Disney theme park: See all the photos

cm01.PNG.fa8ea755c2542850c4b0c118ddb74546.PNG

cm02.PNG.c6a60f86423cf629d31bef5b8e55fc0d.PNG

cm03.PNG.2d4a2969a0ae44fbc694813b5f132ec6.PNG

cm04.PNG.18c290daadb887f0cd0a5f6a43f9d1a7.PNG

3 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Careful Bosco, you are going to be called a hater.

:D

Having just come from Disneyworld and talking with staff about their jobs, it is incredible what goes into making that 'Disney Magic' experience. They even go through 'Smile and Wave' training on how to appropriately convey happiness and joy so they don't appear to be fake in their emotions. And if a kid is wearing the Disney Birthday badge (my kids had their badges on), every Disney associate that sees this is to greet them and wish them a happy birthday. Even the cleaning crew and security guards. Which is sweet. Don't get me wrong. But it shows the level of details that goes into making everything that much more special.

It's a nice touch, for sure. But it is also clear when something is a marketing event to drive later costume sales.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yeah... I never took it as 10 kids who randomly showed up in those costumes. But I did take it as Brie spending time with those kids and how awesome that would be - 10 years old and hanging out with someone who plays a superhero in the movies. 

It is sweet! No questions there. And cool for those kids. Heck, I remember meeting Lee Majors at a Toys R Us event and from there on out he could do no wrong for me. No matter any news.

21 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

"...cheap scenes like how Nick Fury lost his eye were forced into the story and detracted from a great BETTER tale to be told. Like from the Ultimates line Nick Fury losing that eye in a Kuwait battle which fits in well with the original Nick Fury design. Not a silly alien cat scratch leading to his eye being lost." 

About Nick Fury's eye scene in CM, I know many would've preferred Coulson's "Kree burning his eye out" version  or some heroic Purple Heart Gulf War story, even though Fury swerving his car into a bus to take out the Skrull ( and almost losing his eye) was one of the more badass MCU moments I can remember. If you go back and watch Winter Soldier, when Fury reveals his eye to us, that's no Gulf War injury. If the "bad" eye was due to a gun shot or shrapnel, the eye would have been removed per military standards. As we see in WS, the skin around Fury's eye looks unnatural, the eye itself looks like a cataract, and there are claw marks. Not saying the Russo Brothers were setting up for an alien Flerken scratch, but perhaps their intention was for the "accident" to indeed be of alien origin? Fury has a history in the MCU of changing the narrative to suit his purpose, and even admits it in the first Avengers movie, when he admits he put blood not Coulson's on the Captain America cards to show the Avengers for effect. Tales of heroism aside, what if there is more to Fury's alien scratched pupil "than meets the eye?" The Skrulls seemed to know something was up when Goose takes a chunk out of his retina. Flerkens do have the ability to travel inter-dimensionally. What if Goose somehow gifted something to Fury through that extraterrestrial contact? What if it somehow mutated Fury? There's a history in the MCU, and Marvel Comics, of characters that are blind or who wear an eyepatch, of having forms of clairvoyance or all seeing. Look at Odin, who wears a patch, but possesses the all seeing eye, or Heimdall. Is it possible that Goose's scratch gave Fury the ability to sense the future? Perhaps in losing an eye, Fury gained greater insight? I joked about this in an earlier post, but what if that's the case? Throughout the MCU movies, Fury seems to know things others don't. Natasha asks Fury at the end of Ultron if he knew what would happen between her and Banner. Perhaps Fury always knew in each moment of danger that his Avengers team would be enough, and knew he didn't need Carol Danvers, because of this insight? Perhaps this insight I'm theorizing allowed him to know what was happening during Thanos's snap, and knew that, yeah, he needs to call Carol? Perhaps Fury is humanity's version of Odin, all seeing and all knowing in a way. And he's precisely that because of the "gift" given him by Goose? I kind of like that theory.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

17 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

About Nick Fury's eye scene in CM, I know many would've preferred Coulson's "Kree burning his eye out" version  or some heroic Purple Heart Gulf War story, even though Fury swerving his car into a bus to take out the Skrull ( and almost losing his eye) was one of the more badass MCU moments I can remember. If you go back and watch Winter Soldier, when Fury reveals his eye to us, that's no Gulf War injury. If the "bad" eye was due to a gun shot or shrapnel, the eye would have been removed per military standards. As we see in WS, the skin around Fury's eye looks unnatural, the eye itself looks like a cataract, and there are claw marks. Not saying the Russo Brothers were setting up for an alien Flerken scratch, but perhaps their intention was for the "accident" to indeed be of alien origin? Fury has a history in the MCU of changing the narrative to suit his purpose, and even admits it in the first Avengers movie, when he admits he put blood not Coulson's on the Captain America cards to show the Avengers for effect. Tales of heroism aside, what if there is more to Fury's alien scratched pupil "than meets the eye?" The Skrulls seemed to know something was up when Goose takes a chunk out of his retina. Flerkens do have the ability to travel inter-dimensionally. What if Goose somehow gifted something to Fury through that extraterrestrial contact? What if it somehow mutated Fury? There's a history in the MCU, and Marvel Comics, of characters that are blind or who wear an eyepatch, of having forms of clairvoyance or all seeing. Look at Odin, who wears a patch, but possesses the all seeing eye, or Heimdall. Is it possible that Goose's scratch gave Fury the ability to sense the future? Perhaps in losing an eye, Fury gained greater insight? I joked about this in an earlier post, but what if that's the case? Throughout the MCU movies, Fury seems to know things others don't. Natasha asks Fury at the end of Ultron if he knew what would happen between her and Banner. Perhaps Fury always knew in each moment of danger that his Avengers team would be enough, and knew he didn't need Carol Danvers, because of this insight? Perhaps this insight I'm theorizing allowed him to know what was happening during Thanos's snap, and knew that, yeah, he needs to call Carol? Perhaps Fury is humanity's version of Odin, all seeing and all knowing in a way. And he's precisely that because of the "gift" given him by Goose? I kind of like that theory.

I'd thought along the same lines -- that the scratch by the flerken has *obviously* changed Fury somehow, and given him powers not yet revealed.

It's clearly more than just a one-off accident.

45 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm going to avoid breaking this all up, as at times that templated approach can feel like a debate brewing. But I appreciate you sharing so much content.

1) Where did you read it is military standard to remove an eye? Or was that just to add another sentence?

2) There is the possibility of a later motivation for what happened. But when you look at the approach of a movie being able to stand on its own story legs (ignoring any box office results), it came across as a weaker option to explain his eye.

3) If you look at the damage around his eye, it is a larger gash and many additional gashes implying some form of an explosion or distribution of objects that struck his face. Not a cat scratch.

Captain-Marvel-Nick-Fury-Samuel-L-Jackso

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Certainly it was a photo-op, but I think the main goal for the day was the charity they launched that you also mentioned.  Curious as to what new ride is being opened?  I didn't see any information about that, but may have missed it.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/04/avengers-endgame-stars-and-disney-team-of-heroes-unite-to-support-5-million-donation-to-benefit-childrens-hospitals/

This video was from the link above:

6 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:

Certainly it was a photo-op, but I think the main goal for the day was the charity they launched that you also mentioned.  Curious as to what new ride is being opened?  I didn't see any information about that, but may have missed it.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/04/avengers-endgame-stars-and-disney-team-of-heroes-unite-to-support-5-million-donation-to-benefit-childrens-hospitals/

This video was from the link above:

You missed the other link from Entertainment Weekly. It was an Avengers: Endgame promotion that also included the $5M children's hospital donation at the Disneyland LEGO Store. Part of the donation was free toys from multiple companies partnered with Disney.

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It was an Avengers: Endgame press tour at Disneyland that had different children's groups come through for photos and signings along with donating $5M to a children's hospital, ride opening and other events they included into the gathering.Avengers: Endgame cast surprises kids at Disney theme park: See all the photos

Spoiler

cm01.PNG.fa8ea755c2542850c4b0c118ddb74546.PNG

cm02.PNG.c6a60f86423cf629d31bef5b8e55fc0d.PNG

cm03.PNG.2d4a2969a0ae44fbc694813b5f132ec6.PNG

cm04.PNG.18c290daadb887f0cd0a5f6a43f9d1a7.PNG

Here's the larger summary of the event.

Disney, 'Avengers' Stars Team Up for $5M Children's Hospital Donation

The stars of the upcoming Avengers: Endgame, along with Disney CEO Robert Iger, appeared at Disneyland Resort on Friday to announce a $5 million donation to children's hospitals across the country.

The donation of cash and toys to Starlight Children's Foundation is through the Avengers Universe Unites campaign, which is Walt Disney Company's signature philanthropic commitment to Disney Team of Heroes, according to Disney. The LEGO Group, Hasbro, Funko and Amazon all donated. 

As far as the ride goes, that's discussed in the Reddit posts. I didn't see which ride it was. I know the Guardians of the Galaxy ride replacing an old attraction won't be open for some time now.