• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:

Certainly it was a photo-op, but I think the main goal for the day was the charity they launched that you also mentioned.  Curious as to what new ride is being opened?  I didn't see any information about that, but may have missed it.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/04/avengers-endgame-stars-and-disney-team-of-heroes-unite-to-support-5-million-donation-to-benefit-childrens-hospitals/

This video was from the link above:

As a big Disney fan, no new ride was mentioned.  The celeb appearances were aligned with the announcement of the $5M charitable donation.  (And yes, likely to promote the movie as well.)  More details on the Marvel Land will likely occur at the D23 Parks Panel in August.

In all honesty, it's sweet to see our heroes hanging with the kids.  And whether it was planned with some ulterior financial motive or not, there's no denying the joy it must have brought those kids to hang out with celebs that play superheroes on screen.  Honestly, besides Gal and Jason Mamoa, I don't see the same level of interaction from DC stars (Ben, Henry, etc).  Sarah Haley Finn did a great job casting characters on the big screen and personalities off screen.

Son of a gun. It is the Guardians of the Galaxy ride. Disneyland is ahead of Disneyworld on this, as the Florida attraction is not due until late 2019/early 2020.

What Happens When 4 AVENGERS Stars Hop Aboard Disney's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Ride?

Jeremy Renner has shared a video of himself, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, and Paul Rudd hopping onboard Disney California Adventure's Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout!ride with some fans.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Son of a gun. It is the Guardians of the Galaxy ride. Disneyland is ahead of Disneyworld on this, as the Florida attraction is not due until late 2019/early 2020.

What Happens When 4 AVENGERS Stars Hop Aboard Disney's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Ride?

What?  No celeb reaction video from the actual ride?  I wanna see which of the four freaked out the most.

Also, GotG: Mission Breakout opened in May 2018 and replaced the Hollywood Tower of Terror at Disneyland's California Adventure.  Disney World still has their Tower of Terror and there are no plans at this time to convert it to a Marvel themed attraction.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

As a big Disney fan, no new ride was mentioned.  The celeb appearances were aligned with the announcement of the $5M charitable donation.  (And yes, likely to promote the movie as well.)  More details on the Marvel Land will likely occur at the D23 Parks Panel in August.

In all honesty, it's sweet to see our heroes hanging with the kids.  And whether it was planned with some ulterior financial motive or not, there's no denying the joy it must have brought those kids to hang out with celebs that play superheroes on screen.  Honestly, besides Gal and Jason Mamoa, I don't see the same level of interaction from DC stars (Ben, Henry, etc).  Sarah Haley Finn did a great job casting characters on the big screen and personalities off screen.

It probably gets lost in the noise when people pounce on some of these DC films to just complain or nitpick. So I don't blame anyone for missing these events.

Henry Cavill’s Superman With Make-A-Wish Kids

Justice-League-Henry-Cavill-1-e147458138

Or when kids were brought to the Justice League set to meet Henry Cavill?

Kids visit Justice League set

superman-setphoto-justiceleague-kids-700

What Disney does wisely is in building up its special events to further promote the good spirits of its brand. And yes, doing something so super as donating and encouraging its partners to donate to children's facilities. Part of the Disney Magic.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

It probably gets lost in the noise when people pounce on some of these DC films to just complain or nitpick. So I don't blame anyone for missing these events.

Henry Cavill’s Superman With Make-A-Wish Kids

Justice-League-Henry-Cavill-1-e147458138

Or when kids were brought to the Justice League set to meet Henry Cavill?

Kids visit Justice League set

superman-setphoto-justiceleague-kids-700

What Disney does wisely is in building up its special events to further promote the good spirits of its brand. And yes, doing something so super as donating and encouraging its partners to donate to children's facilities. Part of the Disney Magic.

Honestly, Henry Cavill (and Gal Gadot) is a blessing to the DC Universe.  If not for the poor writing he's been saddled with, I believe he could be the best Clark Kent/Superman.  What ever happened with his contract discussions?  DC/Warner Bros would be absolute fools to let him go without at least another 2-3 movies (2 Superman movies + 1 JL/Trinity movie).

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

What?  No celeb reaction video from the actual ride?  I wanna see which of the four freaked out the most.

Also, GotG: Mission Breakout opened in May 2018 and replaced the Hollywood Tower of Terror at Disneyland's California Adventure.  Disney World still has their Tower of Terror and there are no plans at this time to convert it to a Marvel themed attraction.

I just came from Disneyworld and yes, they are installing a Guardians of the Galaxy ride there. A few of the employees I asked about various construction projects including the train that rides around the Magic Kingdom are currently shut down to support expansion going into 2020. But the train staff need to show up every day just to answer tourist questions and show them around the train. They were super-friendly, and willing to share extensive details.

Epcot Construction Update: New Rides, Attractions, Restaurants, and Shows Photos

Epcot Guardians of the Galaxy Ride Construction Update

The solar panels have been removed and you can see through the entire building now. It also looks like some of the panels or accents on the side of the building are being removed or changed.

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Coaster-Construc

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Coaster-Construc

5 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Honestly, Henry Cavill (and Gal Gadot) is a blessing to the DC Universe.  If not for the poor writing he's been saddled with, I believe he could be the best Clark Kent/Superman.  What ever happened with his contract discussions?  DC/Warner Bros would be absolute fools to let him go without at least another 2-3 movies (2 Superman movies + 1 JL/Trinity movie).

Not sure about the poor writing when it came to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. But definitely with Justice League WB blew it big.

Right now a few of the reporting sites I check are saying they are letting his contract drag out because they don't like his agent's approach to negotiations. It's really sad the opportunities they are letting get by them with core characters.

21 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Here's a more recent article about the Disneyworld Epcot Guardians of the Galaxy ride currently being installed that is not being installed. :baiting:

Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster Launch Track Installed (March, 2019)

guardians-of-the-galaxy-roller-coaster-e

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You missed the other link from Entertainment Weekly. It was an Avengers: Endgame promotion that also included the $5M children's hospital donation at the Disneyland LEGO Store. Part of the donation was free toys from multiple companies partnered with Disney.

Here's the larger summary of the event.

Disney, 'Avengers' Stars Team Up for $5M Children's Hospital Donation

As far as the ride goes, that's discussed in the Reddit posts. I didn't see which ride it was. I know the Guardians of the Galaxy ride replacing an old attraction won't be open for some time now.

I had clicked through the entire EW article, and it really seemed focused on the charity event/announcement as well, but obviously there will be Endgame promotion as a (purposeful) side effect.  I'm cool with that as it's a great cause. 

I think they are confused on the 'ride'.  There is a photo-op area with a mock F-15 and some other props where you can take pictures, but it looks like it was opened in March.  There were also several Reddit posts about how encouraged several felt after seeing the movie (or some previous comic/movie/tv show such as Wonder Woman) and having a representative role model they or their children could identify with, which I also thought was cool.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Here's a more recent article about the Disneyworld Epcot Guardians of the Galaxy ride currently being installed that is not being installed. :baiting:

Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster Launch Track Installed (March, 2019)

I don't follow the updates at WDW nearly as closely as I do the ones at Disneyland (my "home" park).  But I do faintly recall hearing about these updates.

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Disneyland is ahead of Disneyworld on this, as the Florida attraction is not due until late 2019/early 2020. 

WDW isn't necesarily behind on this.  They're getting a completely brand new ride from the ground up whereas Disneyland merely got a re-themed attraction which took all of a few months to re-do.  However, once Marvel Land starts to get built up, I'm guessing the new Iron Man attraction will be a roller coaster with a launch similar to what we're seeing in these Guardians photos.  (but this is side tracking from the original topic of this thread.  :P)

30 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Tower of Terror is great, they better not get rid of that!  Some rinky-dink seat belt keeping you in your seat as you plummet :)

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

WDW isn't necesarily behind on this.  They're getting a completely brand new ride from the ground up whereas Disneyland merely got a re-themed attraction which took all of a few months to re-do.  However, once Marvel Land starts to get built up, I'm guessing the new Iron Man attraction will be a roller coaster with a launch similar to what we're seeing in these Guardians photos.  (but this is side tracking from the original topic of this thread.  :P)

Ahhh. That is interesting to know. There were large parts of the park under construction due to Guardians and the pending Tron ride that is taking out older rides.

WDW's Tower of Terror was massively packed with tourists. If we hadn't locked in a fast pass, at least 1.5 hours at times. So worth the experience.

9 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:

I think they are confused on the 'ride'.  There is a photo-op area with a mock F-15 and some other props where you can take pictures, but it looks like it was opened in March.  There were also several Reddit posts about how encouraged several felt after seeing the movie (or some previous comic/movie/tv show such as Wonder Woman) and having a representative role model they or their children could identify with, which I also thought was cool.

It is cool that everyone feels like they are finally getting the attention deserved with these films. Though there are more to be addressed over time.

1 minute ago, Cozmo-One said:

Tower of Terror is great, they better not get rid of that!  Some rinky-dink seat belt keeping you in your seat as you plummet :)

Yeah, the uproar from Disneyland fans was huge when they announced the closure of our Tower of Terror in favor of a Guardians ride.  Disney purists were so upset because ToT was one of the most popular rides at California Adventure and they were upset that it was being replaced by what they deemed a "non-Disney IP" (ironic considering Twilight Zone isn't Disney either).  But I certainly miss the story, the theming, and how the cast members would play the part of creepy hotel staff perfectly.

Most fans I've spoken with have come around and it's almost universally agreed that the mechanics of the Guardians ride is better than what we had before, and that the ride itself is more thrilling than before.  In other words, we've all reluctantly come to like the guardians ride.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm going to avoid breaking this all up, as at times that templated approach can feel like a debate brewing. But I appreciate you sharing so much content.

1) Where did you read it is military standard to remove an eye? Or was that just to add another sentence?

2) There is the possibility of a later motivation for what happened. But when you look at the approach of a movie being able to stand on its own story legs (ignoring any box office results), it came across as a weaker option to explain his eye.

3) If you look at the damage around his eye, it is a larger gash and many additional gashes implying some form of an explosion or distribution of objects that struck his face. Not a cat scratch.

Captain-Marvel-Nick-Fury-Samuel-L-Jackso

Perhaps I spoke in haste about the U.S. Military standard on severe eye trauma (I did write in haste as I was on my way to see SHAZAM! earlier). I just know the military doesn't screw around, An optical injury so severe that he loses all vision and leaves that much scarring, I figure the military wouldn't take the chance of it becoming infected and remove it,  give him a Purple Heart, a  medical discharge, and 100% disability compensation for the rest of his life.

I agree, in the above Winter Soldier image which I did reference in my initial post, the wound isn't as clean a slice as I remember. I may have been referring to other images like below. Either way, I think my argument still holds water, regardless.

I think Kevin Feige and company only give the illusion that they know exactly what they're doing. Sure there's an overall plan, sure there was going to be an eventual battle with Thanos, but the little details I think they make up as they go along. Carol Danvers was originally going to debut in Age of Ultron, after all. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

Fury claws.jpg

nick-fury-eyes.jpg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Disney World still has their Tower of Terror and there are no plans at this time to convert it to a Marvel themed attraction.

Florida resident and WDW regular here. I can tell you right now, Disney can't have anything Avengers themed at the Florida parks because of the contract with Universal Orlando that Disney Parks can't have Avengers, X-Men, or Fantastic Four east of the Mississippi River. That's why Epcot can have a Guardians of the Galaxy ride, they're not Avengers. There's talk that Disney World can build Wakanda at the Animal Kingdom, as long as the Black Panther doesn't show up in costume, though I think they can have someone play King T'Challa. It sucks. Would love to see a Marvel Universe land at Disney World.

Math is hard for some people.

So is objective reference and subjective perspective. Oh well. Not anything that I need to read up on...

@Logan510, FYI, The Incredible Hulk was way worse than I remember. On the opposite side of the coin, The First Avenger was much better than I remember.

Cain't wait for next weekend's Phase 2 marathon...

Edited by TwoPiece
Fixed tag.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Not sure about the poor writing when it came to Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. But definitely with Justice League WB blew it big.

Right now a few of the reporting sites I check are saying they are letting his contract drag out because they don't like his agent's approach to negotiations. It's really sad the opportunities they are letting get by them with core characters.

His agent wants all of his appearances billed as an A-Lister. Something of that category demands that he earns a minimum $20 million per film, regardless of whether it's a cameo for a few seconds.

He's been in 3 films. RDJ earned $25 million for The Avengers. WB doesn't think that A-List superhero Superman deserves at least $20 million per film? I'm baffled by the thought.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Florida resident and WDW regular here. I can tell you right now, Disney can't have anything Avengers themed at the Florida parks because of the contract with Universal Orlando that Disney Parks can't have Avengers, X-Men, or Fantastic Four east of the Mississippi River. That's why Epcot can have a Guardians of the Galaxy ride, they're not Avengers. There's talk that Disney World can build Wakanda at the Animal Kingdom, as long as the Black Panther doesn't show up in costume, though I think they can have someone play King T'Challa. It sucks. Would love to see a Marvel Universe land at Disney World.

Wonder why they would make a contract like that? And I do find it a bit humorous of still using the Mississippi River as a demarcation line. There's always the Marvel-themed Disney cruises out of Florida though!

11 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:

Wonder why they would make a contract like that? And I do find it a bit humorous of still using the Mississippi River as a demarcation line. There's always the Marvel-themed Disney cruises out of Florida though!

I think the contract is a leftover from the 90's before Disney bought Marvel. Back then, Marvel rented out their characters to everybody because they were bankrupt. I believe the contract gave Universal Orlando strict theme park rights to certain Marvel characters in the eastern USA.