• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I’m guessing you don’t really like The Hulk as a character.

I don't particularly favor him. I thought that the movie was just bad - overall. Bad flow, poorly-executed villain (though Ross was fine), and a jumbled mess of CGI. It left me wondering if it's even better than 2003's Hulk...

18 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't particularly favor him. I thought that the movie was just bad - overall. Bad flow, poorly-executed villain (though Ross was fine), and a jumbled mess of CGI. It left me wondering if it's even better than 2003's Hulk...

2003 Hulk is one of the few movies I didn’t like that I purchased anyway. I didn’t like the movie but I loved certain scenes. He’s over the top and cartoony and straight from the pages of an 80’s comic when he runs and Hulk jumps through the desert. The dog fight was just fantastic and funny with clean CGI. The second Hulk movie was a CGI mess. The opening was the best part and the chase aspect reminded me of the old tv show a little. Norton was miscast. Finally, our latest Hulk looks great but the actor doesn’t cut it for me.

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

2003 Hulk is one of the few movies I didn’t like that I purchased anyway. I didn’t like the movie but I loved certain scenes. He’s over the top and cartoony and straight from the pages of an 80’s comic when he runs and Hulk jumps through the desert. The dog fight was just fantastic and funny with clean CGI. The second Hulk movie was a CGI mess. The opening was the best part and the chase aspect reminded me of the old tv show a little. Norton was miscast. Finally, our latest Hulk looks great but the actor doesn’t cut it for me.

You know, I felt the same way about the 2003 Hulk, and when I saw the two-disc special edition for sale at $1.88 brand new at a Christmas sale I felt bad picking it up even at that price. Then I watched it recently and felt like I had missed out on the more positive aspects of the film. Including the comic book cut scenes like was done in The Warriors Director's Cut. For me, it gave it a better feel for honoring the source material at times. Though I can't stand the Hulk Hounds (though this came out of the source material as well). Even the Absorbing Man/Zzzax is interesting when you consider what Ang Lee was going for here in honoring the comics by pulling in little-know villains.

The Incredible Hulk does not work for me, as I am locked in on Ed Norton usually playing some form of punk, smart-aleck or nihilist (American History X, Fight Club, Primal Fear). It's hard to shake that image, though in Kingdom of Heaven he was much more a hero overcoming life challenges as the Leper King. Plus how he forced Feige to allow him to re-write the -script and from the news demanding more attention going forward as a leading actor. It just leaves me feeling relieved he moved on.

4 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I like the fight scenes in both of the Hulk movies, particularly the Abomination fight.  The only acting I really liked was Tim Roth as Blonsky, thought he was striking as a power-hungry sociopath.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I like the fight scenes in both of the Hulk movies, particularly the Abomination fight.  The only acting I really liked was Tim Roth as Blonsky, thought he was striking as a power-hungry sociopath.

Roth is great in everything he does.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't feel like Norton was necessarily miscast, but I love Ruffalo as Banner and his likeness as Hulk.

Mark Ruffalo can be such an acting chameleon at times. When you see him in Collateral and then Zodiac, he plays a much grittier and dark character.

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
1 hour ago, Comicopolis said:

Roth is great in everything he does.

thade01.thumb.jpg.b1cdda1d7171f6e1094676402e43bf72.jpg

It's amazing how much his acting comes through the suit in that movie.  The movie overall is rather meh, but Roth's acting in that might be my favorite performance by him ever.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:08 PM, Cozmo-One said:

Wonder why they would make a contract like that? And I do find it a bit humorous of still using the Mississippi River as a demarcation line. There's always the Marvel-themed Disney cruises out of Florida though!

I went in a marvel themed Disney cruise last year.  It's pretty cool, but I learned I hate cruises.

Edited by Pete Marino

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It's amazing how much his acting comes through the suit in that movie.  The movie overall is rather meh, but Roth's acting in that might be my favorite performance by him ever.

When he kills those two apes to hide the spaceship, you feel his rage coming through no matter what he is wearing.

This new clip of the Avengers and CM is bound to trigger a few CM/Brie Larsen haters...

Captain Marvel agrees that the team should fight Thanos and, when Banner asks why the battle would end differently than before, Captain Marvel retorts, "Because before you didn't have me." :headbang:

New Trailer

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

1 hour ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

This new clip of the Avengers and CM is bound to trigger a few CM/Brie Larsen haters...

Captain Marvel agrees that the team should fight Thanos and, when Banner asks why the battle would end differently than before, Captain Marvel retorts, "Because before you didn't have me." :headbang:

New Trailer

The cool thing is this was posted already in the Endgame thread, and nobody was negative about it.

:smile:

I don't really like the, "because you have me" comment. Seems like they're trying to push her into the arrogant Tony Stark role, and it just doesn't work.

To be fair, I wouldn't like it if Thor had said it, either (especially with his character growth over the last decade). You had dozens of heroes battling Thanos, and it's gonna take more than 1 hero who thinks she's extra special to defeat him this time around.

Danvers basically just replaces Maximoff this time around. They already lost with a McGuffin byproduct in the lineup.

There's confidence, and then there's cockiness and overconfidence. The former is great, and the latter is annoying. Don't give us an annoying hero who's allegedly going to lead Phase 4.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

You know, I felt the same way about the 2003 Hulk, and when I saw the two-disc special edition for sale at $1.88 brand new at a Christmas sale I felt bad picking it up even at that price. Then I watched it recently and felt like I had missed out on the more positive aspects of the film. Including the comic book cut scenes like was done in The Warriors Director's Cut. For me, it gave it a better feel for honoring the source material at times. Though I can't stand the Hulk Hounds (though this came out of the source material as well). Even the Absorbing Man/Zzzax is interesting when you consider what Ang Lee was going for here in honoring the comics by pulling in little-know villains.

The Incredible Hulk does not work for me, as I am locked in on Ed Norton usually playing some form of punk, smart-aleck or nihilist (American History X, Fight Club, Primal Fear). It's hard to shake that image, though in Kingdom of Heaven he was much more a hero overcoming life challenges as the Leper King. Plus how he forced Feige to allow him to re-write the --script and from the news demanding more attention going forward as a leading actor. It just leaves me feeling relieved he moved on.

The genius of Ang Lee's 2003 Hulk movie is really not written about enough, obviously. Outside of it being just a comic book movie, thematically and technically, Ang did things in that movie that are truly special, and was a kind of cinematic precursor to Lee's Oscar Winner film  Life of Pi. For instance, those comic book panel edits in the movie are meant to be more than just an imitation of a comic book.  I'm a big fan of Al Ewing's current Immortal Hulk series right now, and it seems he has even taken inspiration from Ang Lee's forgotten work of film art. It's great what the MCU is doing right now with its focus on character and interconnectedness, but it's also a loss that we'll never go back to those times of standalone movies where the filmmakers could try new things, though Ragnarok was a bit of an experiment itself.

33 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The genius of Ang Lee's 2003 Hulk movie is really not written about enough, obviously. Outside of it being just a comic book movie, thematically and technically, Ang did things in that movie that are truly special, and was a kind of cinematic precursor to Lee's Oscar Winner film  Life of Pi. For instance, those comic book panel edits in the movie are meant to be more than just an imitation of a comic book.  I'm a big fan of Al Ewing's current Immortal Hulk series right now, and it seems he has even taken inspiration from Ang Lee's forgotten work of film art. It's great what the MCU is doing right now with its focus on character and interconnectedness, but it's also a loss that we'll never go back to those times of standalone movies where the filmmakers could try new things, though Ragnarok was a bit of an experiment itself.

The big Hulk breakoutscene looks like the massive monster I always enjoyed reading in the 70's and 80's.

Oddly enough, my wife and I were out with friends at Old South Mountain Inn in Maryland when we ran into Sam Elliott at dinner. He was in a black shirt an fatigues pants while everyone else was dressed up. Folks didn't realize who this was until he went to pay for the bill. Then the restaurant staff came pouring out to say hello. It was right after he had finished filming Hulk, so he still had the military haircut. A really nice guy to talk with - ONCE he was done eating.

9 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't really like the, "because you have me" comment. Seems like they're trying to push her into the arrogant Tony Stark role, and it just doesn't work.

We know why you don’t like her. You told us already. Because of her ‘feminist tropes’. 

To be fair, I wouldn't like it if Thor had said it, either (especially with his character growth over the last decade).

Hard to believe considering you said she ‘isn’t a compelling character’ because of her ‘feminist tropes’. 

You had dozens of heroes battling Thanos, and it's gonna take more than 1 hero who thinks she's extra special to defeat him this time around.

It’s not her by herself. It’s her as another heavy hitter. 

Danvers basically just replaces Maximoff this time around. They already lost with a McGuffin byproduct in the lineup.

We know why you don’t like her. You’ve told us. You can’t have a serious discussion about this character with your sexist agenda in the way. 

I’m just going to keep pointing it out. 

There's confidence, and then there's cockiness and overconfidence. The former is great, and the latter is annoying. Don't give us an annoying hero who's allegedly going to lead Phase 4.

1 Billion and still raking in millions nightly. The movie has legs way beyond any excuses you make for it. 

YOU don’t care for her. The majority do. 

Ianh made it known he didn’t like the ‘blackness’ of the Black Panther movie in that thread, you think anyone took anything he had to say about it seriously from that point on?

Everyone here knows how you really feel about this movie. It has to do with what you called it’s ‘feminist tropes’. Why would you think anyone could take what you say from this point on as a serious discussion?

Comicsgate talk isn’t welcome here. For one thing it is POLITICAL. For another it’s EMBARASSING to this hobby and makes me ashamed to be a part of it when people spew this type of hatred based upon someone’s color or sex. 

Theres nothing wrong with Marvel telling a woman superhero story from the perspective of a woman. It’s about a woman, why shouldn’t it be about how a woman would see it?

Because a man viewing it doesn’t get it and assumes it’s ‘feminist’ because it’s not told from HIS perspective?

THIS is why Brie said what she said before the movie about the film ‘A Wrinkle in Time’. 

You can try and hide it all you want. I’m going to keep reminding people. Your perspective of this movie is based upon your Comicsgate sexism mentality. And according to moderation that is not acceptable on this forum. 

Edited by Chuck Gower

On 4/8/2019 at 7:51 AM, TwoPiece said:

I don't feel like Norton was necessarily miscast, but I love Ruffalo as Banner and his likeness as Hulk.

Man, we could not be further apart on this, I hate Ruffalo as Banner and thought Norton was near perfect in the role.