• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Some people just can't get over a female-led movie being mediocre. Oh well.

It is what it is. Mediocre.

Your opinion is just that. Your opinion. You thought CM was mediocre, I thought it was one of the better MCU films, and personally it’s my favorite. I’ve already posted many times why I think it’s a good movie and I also like to think I know what I’m talking about. Hope you don’t think Shazam! is a great movie by comparison. Also, I think most of us are aware that a female led movie can be mediocre, which has been the problem in the past. Elektra and Catwoman are among the worst superhero movies all time, and most of us agree on that.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Your opinion is just that. Your opinion. You thought CM was mediocre, I thought it was one of the better MCU films, and personally it’s my favorite. I’ve already posted many times why I think it’s a good movie and I also like to think I know what I’m talking about. Hope you don’t think Shazam! is a great movie by comparison. Also, I think most of us are aware that a female led movie can be mediocre, which has been the problem in the past. Elektra and Catwoman are among the worst superhero movies all time, and most of us agree on that.

Regardless of whether it's "my opinion" or not, some people can't handle it (for whatever incomprehensible reason).

I have also posted many, many, times why it's mediocre.

I haven't seen Shazam! yet to compare the 2.

This public service announcement to all of you Master Debaters who insist on constantly taking a steaming dump on the thread has been brought to you by the movie "WarGames."

ulEIV.png

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, only if you try to pitch it that a Chinese actor was purposely beat up on the film set because he is Asian. That was clearly attempting to build a negative narrative that had nothing to do with the intent of the movie.

And some of you want to come down hard on TwoPiece??!! That's some crazy logic when you make a statement like that.

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, Mystafo said:

So is it a certainty it'll get to $400 dom?

Captain Marvel needs $24 million to hit the mark, it's at $376million now. Going into weekend it'll prob have $378 mil, and get maybe $6-7 million wkend to about $385mil. As we approach Endgame, if there is one movie that may actually benefit from that impending tsunami, it'll be Captain Marvel being she's a big part of that. If my estimation is right, after this weekend, Captain Marvel will only need $15 mil to hit the mark and will still be in theaters a month after Endgame's release (MCU movies stay in theaters a long time if you look at their history). With the added interest from Endgame, Captain Marvel is a lock to get a measly $15 million more and hit $400 million domestic at least by May if not before Endgame.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

9 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Well, only if you try to pitch it that a Chinese actor was purposely beat up on the film set because he is Asian. That was clearly attempting to build a negative narrative that had nothing to do with the intent of the movie.

I saw the scene as a joke at Eugene's expense, in part because it's funny he hits himself with the nunchucks, and in part because he's Asian. It's as if the filmmakers said, "hey, Asian people are stereotypically supposed to be good at martial arts, but this kid obviously isn't as he hits himself while trying to use Bruce Lee's weapon of choice." If Pedro or Freddy had picked up the nunchucks, it still would have been funny, but without the added joke layer of the kid being Asian. That's why I saw it as not only poking fun at Eugene's ineptness, but also poking fun at his ethnicity.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I saw the scene as a joke at Eugene's expense, in part because it's funny he hits himself with the nunchucks, and in part because he's Asian. It's as if the filmmakers said, "hey, Asian people are stereotypically supposed to be good at martial arts, but this kid obviously isn't as he hits himself while trying to use Bruce Lee's weapon of choice." If Pedro or Freddy had picked up the nunchucks, it still would have been funny, but without the added joke layer of the kid being Asian. That's why I saw it as not only poking fun at Eugene's ineptness, but also poking fun at his ethnicity.

It's just not even worth discussing further any racist assumptions the Asian kid was picked to have an embarrassing scene because - you know - he's Asian. I just don't think it would lead to a healthy discussion.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It's just not even worth discussing further any racist assumptions the Asian kid was picked to have an embarrassing scene because - you know - he's Asian. I just don't think it would lead to a healthy discussion.

Fair enough

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I would say it was poking fun at stereotypes rather than ethnicity.

Saw it today. It's ok. Nothing great or memorable (for me to ever see again) and too many things to list that I wish Marvel had not changed (but it's typical and expected now).

One thing that annoyed me is how she runs. It's weird.

28 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Saw it today. It's ok. Nothing great or memorable (for me to ever see again) and too many things to list that I wish Marvel had not changed (but it's typical and expected now).

Okay, so maybe list a few things you wish Marvel hadn't changed? 

44 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, so maybe list a few things you wish Marvel hadn't changed? 

The entire story was changed. No captain marvel - it was Annette Bening?

the Skrulls are good, the Kree are bad

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I never even put the two together i.e. Asian + nunchucks until now.  I viewed it as a young nerdy kid playing with nunchuck's.

Edited by Xenosmilus