• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The entire story was changed. No captain marvel - it was Annette Bening?

the Skrulls are good, the Kree are bad

Yeah, she was Mar-Vell.

I liked the 'twist' of the Skrulls being refugees and not terrorists. Ultimately, it doesn't make sense, but the Kree appear to be 'good guys' in GotG with them calling Ronan an "extremist" and not aligning themselves with his beliefs (anymore).

So, the future will likely hold the Kree as protagonists, and some of the Skrull colonies will likely be antagonists.

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The entire story was changed. No captain marvel - it was Annette Bening?

the Skrulls are good, the Kree are bad

The movie's origin story was actual pretty faithful to the Stan Lee and Roy Thomas stories from 1968. The movie just made Mar Vell a woman. Just like the comics, Mar Vell was a Kree spy on a military base, took the name of Dr. Lawson, and was at odds with Yonn Rogg. There was still a human between Mar Vell and Yonn Rogg named Carol Danvers who gets caught in an alien explosion transforming her.

In the comics, both Kree and Skrull are bad. And in the comics, even as far back as the Stan Lee Jack Kirby stories, Skrulls are sometimes shown in a sympathetic light. This was especially so after John Byrne had Galactus destroy the Skrulls throneworld back in the 80's, leaving them homeless. More recently, the Super Skrull is a hero in the comics who teams with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Yeah, she was Mar-Vell.

I liked the 'twist' of the Skrulls being refugees and not terrorists. Ultimately, it doesn't make sense, but the Kree appear to be 'good guys' in GotG with them calling Ronan an "extremist" and not aligning themselves with his beliefs (anymore).

So, the future will likely hold the Kree as protagonists, and some of the Skrull colonies will likely be antagonists.

In the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, don't confuse the Xandarians of the Nova Empire with the Kree (they're confusable). In the movie, the Nova Empire has a peace agreement with the Kree Empire. Ronan is in disagreement with this treaty, so he becomes a zealot or whatever.

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

In the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, don't confuse the Xandarians of the Nova Empire with the Kree (they're confusable). In the movie, the Nova Empire has a peace agreement with the Kree Empire. Ronan is in disagreement with this treaty, so he becomes a zealot or whatever.

I'm not confusing the two.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The movie's origin story was actual pretty faithful to the Stan Lee and Roy Thomas stories from 1968. The movie just made Mar Vell a woman. Just like the comics, Mar Vell was a Kree spy on a military base, took the name of Dr. Lawson, and was at odds with Yonn Rogg. There was still a human between Mar Vell and Yonn Rogg named Carol Danvers who gets caught in an alien explosion transforming her.

In the comics, both Kree and Skrull are bad. And in the comics, even as far back as the Stan Lee Jack Kirby stories, Skrulls are sometimes shown in a sympathetic light. This was especially so after John Byrne had Galactus destroy the Skrulls throneworld back in the 80's, leaving them homeless. More recently, the Super Skrull is a hero in the comics who teams with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Captain Mar-Vell was a pretty significant character in the marvel universe. He didn’t die as a result of the those odds. You point out only the things that are similar but neglect the bigger issues of Marvel once again reinventing these heroes for their significance. 

Was Carol taken away in the comics. Is she at odds with the Kree? Is she sympathetic to the Skrulls.

I get you love the movie. I didn’t think again it was anything special. 

What was great about it for you? What did you see that you want to see again?

there are plenty of better movies. It wasn’t funny, it wasn’t action packed. 

47 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Captain Mar-Vell was a pretty significant character in the marvel universe. He didn’t die as a result of the those odds. You point out only the things that are similar but neglect the bigger issues of Marvel once again reinventing these heroes for their significance. 

Was Carol taken away in the comics. Is she at odds with the Kree? Is she sympathetic to the Skrulls.

Eh, I'd argue that, outside of the Kree-Skrull War and Mar Vell's death story, Captain Mar Vell wasn't that significant. He did face Thanos many times in the Jim Starlin stories, but Mar Vell was never really an active participant in the greater Marvel Universe, outside of the Kree Skrull War and his death. And he wasn't significant enough to fans or Marvel to keep alive even, so Marvel Comics killed him. And after he died, fans didn't miss him, because he really had no fans. The character didn't sell very well.

The movie does diverge from the comics after the explosion. Carol is not taken to Hala by Yonn Rogg (who dies during the explosion that transforms Carol). Captain Mar Vell, in stories from 1969 and later stories was at odds with the Kree Empire and the Supreme Intelligence, but Carol never became a citizen of Hala as far as we know in the comics. However, there was a ten year period between the 1969 explosion story and Carol's reemergence as Ms Marvel in 1977 where anything could be possible. As Binary, Carol Danvers disappeared into space for several years. There is a history of disappearance and amnesia with Carol Danvers in the comics, and I do like how the filmmakers made that part of the story. And no, I don't recall a story where Carol Danvers was personally sympathetic to the Skrull race. 

But as you've said, the MCU movies both take from the comics and diverge from the comics. They can't and shouldn't be exactly like the comics. The comic stories have years to tell their stories, the movies have hours. The comics stories are dated and aren't exactly big movie screenplay quality (ie Donald Blake running into a cave from aliens and finding a wooden stick and accidentally becoming Thor doesn't really work nowadays and lacks drama or character development), so they need to be updated a bit. And since it's Marvel itself making these movies, you can see the MCU movies as a continuing evolution of who these characters are. Look at Tony Stark. He was a bore before RDJ reimagined him as a ham in the movies, and now in the comics, his personality matches that of RDJ. It's all an organic process between the comics and the movies, especially when it's the same company making both. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

44 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

:bump:

55 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I've written ad nauseam why I loved Captain Marvel. I'll paste one past post here: 

"I'll argue that the story in Captain Marvel was actually really tight, and very good. In fact, I'd say the film's narrative is among the tighter of the MCU movies. From the start, we're introduced to our three main characters, Carol Danvers, and the two elders in her life, Yonn Rogg and Talos, each who are on different sides of Carol. Then, from the point that Vers becomes a fish out of water, very early on, our story has one focus, for Carol to stop the Skrulls and find the truth of Dr Lawson before they do. Every scene in the film serves that narrative. There aren't long drawn out fight scenes in the middle act like we find in a lot of MCU films, or a return to where we once were. For instance, as great a film as Black Panther was, one could argue that the Korea sequence was a little too long. In Spiderman Homecoming, I started getting a little tired of Tony Stark constantly showing up to save Peter Parker and then scold him for being a kid. Captain Marvel's narrative, on the other hand, drives forward at a pretty fast pace with very little looking backwards. And towards the end of Carol's mystery road trip, rather than giving us the predictable outcome, the filmmakers switch it around on us, showing us that Carol's Kree outlook has been a lie. I love love love Captain Marvel. You don't have to like it, but objectively speaking, I don't think one can argue that the movie doesn't have a good story. Captain Marvel is different for sure, but the narrative is there."

I loved seeing the world of Hala at the beginning, seeing this new world that wasn't treated like a joke in the Guardians movie. I wanted to see more of it. I thought Carol's mystery mission on Earth was an easy follow and enjoyed her interaction with young Fury. I loved her found relationship with Maria Rambeau, and enjoyed how they didn't just cut to a joke during that deeper moment, but went with it, and allowed the emotion to come out with that hug between lost friends. I loved the humor from Sam Jackson and especially Talos. Being a fan of those first early stories from Marvel Super Heroes and Captain Marvel from 1968, I loved how they were mostly faithful to that, using the character of Dr Lawson (even though changing Mar Vell to a woman) and made the setting a military base. I loved the music, both the score and soundtrack. I've always loved Skrulls so I loved seeing them done well on the big screen. And I thought the action was more than enough for me. And again, I thought Brie Larson was great in the role. And that's my opinion.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'll also admit that, as a collector, I'm stacked with CGC slabbed copies of key Carol Danvers comics and artwork, so I'm enjoying the current bump up in her cultural status.

The day that Sony causes my horded copies of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man to skyrocket in value by naming a movie after it is the day you all will want to punch me in the face for constantly hyping that movie here in this forum.  :blush:

31 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The day that Sony causes my horded copies of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man to skyrocket in value by naming a movie after it is the day you all will want to punch me in the face for constantly hyping that movie here in this forum.  :blush:

Oh okay, I guess that’s referring to my admission that I have slabbed copies of Carol Danvers books? So what? It’s why we’re all here, right? Yeah, I admit my investment in the character has increased my excitement for the movie post-success, but no way does it affect whether I think it’s a good movie or not. In previous posts, I laid out with specific reasons why I think Captain Marvel is an awesome movie. If I thought the movie sucked, believe me I’d be in a corner moping. But I love the movie and it’s a success. It makes me proud of my collection and I don’t mind admitting that. I’ve also got slabs of Black Panther and other MCU character key issues, but I love Captain Marvel as much as I love Ang Lee’s Hulk. Just because I’m chatting up this forum about that doesn’t mean I or anyone else deserves a punch in the face. We’re all here because we’re investors in comic book culture and isn’t the forum so we can chat about that?