• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Oh okay, I guess that’s referring to my admission that I have slabbed copies of Carol Danvers books? So what? It’s why we’re all here, right? Yeah, I admit my investment in the character has increased my excitement for the movie post-success, but no way does it affect whether I think it’s a good movie or not. In previous posts, I laid out with specific reasons why I think Captain Marvel is an awesome movie. If I thought the movie sucked, believe me I’d be in a corner moping. But I love the movie and it’s a success. It makes me proud of my collection and I don’t mind admitting that. I’ve also got slabs of Black Panther and other MCU character key issues, but I love Captain Marvel as much as I love Ang Lee’s Hulk. Just because I’m chatting up this forum about that doesn’t mean I or anyone else deserves a punch in the face. We’re all here because we’re investors in comic book culture and isn’t the forum so we can chat about that?

So true. :golfclap:

15 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Just a little something I’ve had for awhile...

E082A93B-4648-4F55-A305-DBB0EDBAEBF2.jpeg

Wow! I had never seen this.

msmarvel19.PNG.be07b15dfeeec53b24cf5c7b97e289ff.PNG

Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel in the same comic book. And with Ronan the Accuser and Supreme Intelligence. 

"Mirror, Mirror!"

Ronan the Accuser arrives in Texas to eliminate a number of Kree that have fled to Earth to find new lives. He then travels to New York where he locates and attacks Carol Danvers. Changing into Ms. Marvel, she proves to be no match for the Kree soldier. When Captain Marvel arrives and is shocked to find that Carol is wearing a uniform similar to his, it gives Ronan the opportunity to knock both of them out and take them aboard his ship.

There, under the supervision of the Supreme Intelligence, Ronan probes Carol's mind to learn of her past, and the events that led to her becoming Ms. Marvel. After the probe is done, both she and Mar-Vell break free and take down Ronan, then make their escape from the ship. Afterwords, the two reconcile and agree to be friends before parting company. 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:31 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I get you love the movie. I didn’t think again it was anything special. 

What was great about it for you? What did you see that you want to see again?

there are plenty of better movies. It wasn’t funny, it wasn’t action packed. 

It was AWFUL.  Any scene that she's in in Endgame, I'll be cheering for the "villain"  lol

Edited by pemart1966

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

this explains everything I needed to know.

My reference to Ang Lee's Hulk was to point out at that regardless if a movie benefits the value of my CGC slab collection (like Captain Marvel) or it doesn't (like Ang Lee's Hulk), I'll still praise the movie here or anywhere else. Recently in this forum, a few of us had a back and forth on the positive aspects of Ang Lee's forgotten superhero movie. That's why I referenced it. 

Now, I take it from the tone of your voice, that like a lot of people with conventional thinking, you must think Ang Lee's Hulk to be an inferior film, and therefore my love of that film must mean my film standards must be inferior, which then might explain why I love Captain Marvel so much. Got it. FYI, whether you give a s**t  or not, my American film tastes run from MCU movies to Martin Scorsese and Jim Jarmusch to Alfred Hitchcock and John Cassavetes films, and yes, even the films of Ang Lee. In fact, I daresay I've probably forgotten more on the subject of film history, film theory, and filmmaking then you ever will, Jack. 

So sure, you can assume you know everything and that I don't, but your blunt comment tells me everything I need to know about you now.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Got it. FYI, whether you give a s**t  or not, my American film tastes run from MCU movies to Martin Scorsese and Jim Jarmusch to Alfred Hitchcock and John Cassavetes films, and yes, even the films of Ang Lee. In fact, I daresay I've probably forgotten more on the subject of film history, film theory, and filmmaking then you ever will, Jack. 

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Now, I take it from the tone of your voice, that like a lot of people with conventional thinking, you must think Ang Lee's Hulk to be an inferior film, and therefore my love of that film must mean my film standards must be inferior, which then might explain why I love Captain Marvel so much

Seriously. It would have been fine to say "I enjoyed Captain Marvel like I enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk" but you choose the word LOVE. Maybe you love things too easily and aren't critical enough. I'm sorry but I don't LOVE your opinion of either film, JACK!

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Seriously. It would have been fine to say "I enjoyed Captain Marvel like I enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk" but you choose the word LOVE. Maybe you love things too easily and aren't critical enough. I'm sorry but I don't LOVE your opinion of either film, JACK!

Leave the poor guy alone, Janet

33 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Maybe when you get a little longer in the tooth here your supreme film knowledge will carry a little more weight with us plebs.  ALL HAIL LORD OF THE MPAA!!!

I would hope the majority of the people in these forums are intelligent enough and adult enough to not dismiss somebody's comments as weightless just because they haven't been around here as long as you have. 

45 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I would hope the majority of the people in these forums are intelligent enough and adult enough to not dismiss somebody's comments as weightless just because they haven't been around here as long as you have. 

I dismiss member comments as weightless of people who have been here for years.

Ignorant is ignorant (shrug)