• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

The other movie that came out around the same time as Garfield's ASM: Dark Knight Rises. $20 Million more in budget, but...

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

I guess I'm not getting the small indie aesthetic you are. This was a huge budget movie. It had a 230 million dollar budget and the special effects compared to what came out at the time.... The Avengers cost less to make and looks endlessly better than this. I would say it was more like a small time director (who'd done mainly music videos up to that point) had some trouble making a big time superhero movie.

Remember - Sony wasn't trying to hedge with Spidey... they saw it for what it is - one of the biggest money making properties on the planet -  It just domestically, put up some disappointing numbers for the #1 merchandised character in the WORLD. Man of Steel out did it in the U.S. by $30 Million with almost the same budget. And THAT movie looks infinitely more professional and well done than ASM. (As big budget superhero movies go). 

Personally, I thought Raimi in the first two movies mixed the action with the romance perfectly. And the unfulfilled romance especially. THAT is classic Spider-man. This I thought was a mess. They're practically married half way through the movie. 

As far as the coming of age romance stuff, I'm a huge fan of it in the comics. But the comics took some time for Pete to get there. He didn't go from big nerd to woman magnet in the first issue. This definitely has a rom com feel to it, and if you like that... well, ok. They usually make rom coms for about $200 Million less than this.

But hey, once again everyone is entitled to what they like. I think of True Romance as a romantic movie, you see ASM as one. Probably neither are very traditional in that sense!

Yeah, it's hard to see a $230 million budget in ASM, but I believe the entire city of New York was either a set or CGI, and the lizard and Oscorp effects were pretty extensive, I believe they actually filmed it in 3D (as opposed to post process), and there were a lot of big names in the movie, so I guess one can see where the budget went. I remember when this movie came out, it was about 50/50 on people liking it and I'd get into pretty spirited debates about its merits. To each their own.

Went to see Captain Marvel, with family who hadn’t seen it, early Saturday evening. When we got to AMC theater both evening shows in the small recliner seat rooms had sold out. I didn’t bother reserving as I didn’t think they’d sell out. Went to another theater with more seating and still had to break up our party of six and sit different places.  People are still definitely going to theaters to see this movie, perhaps in anticipation of Endgame. Either way, one niece liked it, the other niece who digs these types of movies loved it. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

11 minutes ago, paperheart said:

terrific down 30% weekend, $386.5MM.  should hit $400MM US during Endgame's opening weekend

Bah! It's still lagging Venom's take in China by more than $100MM.

#mediocre

Here are images of the original pages of Carol Danvers' first appearance from Marvel Super Heroes #13, the holy grail for collecting this character. I think the movie captured the spirit of these early stories, with the military base setting and Mar Vell's role as a Kree spy in the movie.

MSH 13 pg12.jpg

lf.jpg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Box Office Mojo is now using Catching Fire as the closest daily comp. for Captain Marvel instead of the first Hunger Games film.

Why is this significant?

Hunger Games final domestic cume: $408 million

Catching Fire final domestic cume: $425 million

425141243_CatchingFire.PNG.f1669337e0bca2eaf60cf9aa777af0e2.PNG

On 4/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Box Office Mojo is now using Catching Fire as the closest daily comp. for Captain Marvel instead of the first Hunger Games film.

Why is this significant?

Hunger Games final domestic cume: $408 million

Catching Fire final domestic cume: $425 million

425141243_CatchingFire.PNG.f1669337e0bca2eaf60cf9aa777af0e2.PNG

given the holiday week holds so far (no change Mon to Mon, down 6% Tues to Tues), even a down 30% weekend gets this to $396MM+.  Unless Endgame sucks up all the oxygen in the room, this could be headed to $415MM US (Marvel probably has their sights on $412.6MM)

5 hours ago, paperheart said:

given the holiday week holds so far (no change Mon to Mon, down 6% Tues to Tues), even a down 30% weekend gets this to $396MM+.  Unless Endgame sucks up all the oxygen in the room, this could be headed to $415MM US (Marvel probably has their sights on $412.6MM)

I'm sure Marvel wouldn't mind topping Wonder Woman's domestic box office.