• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Late to the dance, but finally saw it.  I liked it.  Thought Larson was serviceable, but didn't strike me as made for the role.  But, I certainly had a good time.  Hope to see some growth from her in subsequent films.  I enjoyed WW more, but this was a good film.

On 4/12/2019 at 8:36 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

And I'm particularly proud of this one I got signed by Gerry Conway a couple years ago. A particularly humble guy who took no credit for the movie's inspiration but gave it all to Kelly Sue Deconnick.

IMG_6074.jpg

More CGC Goodness.

Untitled85.jpg

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

Hard to compare the two films straight up.  Wonder Woman had far more name recognition coming in, but the film overall wasn't as good as Captain Marvel.  Yet there's nothing in Captain Marvel as good as that battlefield scene in Wonder Woman.

Certainly the more surprising film is Captain Marvel.  If we were taking bets as to which film would outperform the other five years ago the vast majority of us would have picked Wonder Woman.

18 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Hard to compare the two films straight up.  Wonder Woman had far more name recognition coming in, but the film overall wasn't as good as Captain Marvel.  Yet there's nothing in Captain Marvel as good as that battlefield scene in Wonder Woman.

Certainly the more surprising film is Captain Marvel.  If we were taking bets as to which film would outperform the other five years ago the vast majority of us would have picked Wonder Woman.

I'd say Wonder Woman is the more "cinematic" of the two films, with its slow motion action scenes, dramatic lighting, classic period setting, and being a more stand-alone movie. Captain Marvel, on the other hand, certainly looks like a trademark MCU movie, with the flatter lighting, connection to other movies, and most importantly, humor. But Captain Marvel, like most MCU movies, is also more of a character movie, which is really the strength of the MCU, imo. Carol Danvers has a stronger personality than Diana ( I feel some may argue about that). In general, If you compare the personalities of all the Marvel characters to DC, Marvel has stronger personalities overall. I think this is so because for Marvel/Disney, the character is more important than the movie itself, as it's the characters we follow around from movie to movie. It's also in Marvel's DNA. Stan Lee revolutionized comics by making the ordinary person behind the mask or the shield the most important element of the story i.e. Peter Parker.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I guess that depends on who you ask. I was disappointed in the Captain Marvel story, and the modifications to the Skrull lore and Talos character background. I found Wonder Woman had much more of a female mass reaction to support the film. Even when you look at the IMDb demographics, Female scores are just as strong across the board, but stronger with <18, and Overall Rating is stronger across all age groups.

capm_vs_ww01.thumb.PNG.10ead20fabc4b9989abf3120ab563b2e.PNG

Why to compare these two movies when like you noted there really is no comparison goes back to the old 'DC vs Marvel' debates that I guess gives some people purpose.

55 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Acts 1 and 2 of Wonder Woman are so much better than anything in captain marvel, but the steaming pile of :censored: that is act 3 of wonder woman, every part of Cap Marvel beats.

i'd rather watch the movie that is 2/3 a 9 out of 10 (WW), than a movie that's a 7 throughout (CM), but enjoyed both a lot,

7 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Acts 1 and 2 of Wonder Woman are so much better than anything in captain marvel, but the steaming pile of :censored: that is act 3 of wonder woman, every part of Cap Marvel beats.

i'd rather watch the movie that is 2/3 a 9 out of 10 (WW), than a movie that's a 7 throughout (CM), but enjoyed both a lot,

This.

It’s not a DC vs. Marvel thing, it’s a “strong female character” thing.

I was surprised at how good Captain Marvel was, but Wonder Woman was a near-superhero-masterpiece — right up until the deeply flawed last 20 minutes lightning fight.

Between the two, I still prefer Wonder Woman - but it’s close.

And the fact that WW is first-tier, while CM is third-tier makes it all the more impressive — kind of like how Guardians of the Galaxy was better than Thor and Thor 2.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

I was surprised at how good Captain Marvel was, but Wonder Woman was a near-superhero-masterpiece — right up until the deeply flawed last 20 minutes lightning fight.

And the fact that WW is first-tier, while CM is third-tier makes it all the more impressive — kind of like how Guardians of the Galaxy was better than Thor and Thor 2.

16 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

As much as people complain about that third act (initially I was slightly disappointed with portions it when Chief hugs the Germans), this 'steaming pile' I just don't see. 

For anyone that ever watched the Wonder Woman (2009) animated film, even in that film Ares was the main threat resulting in a big battle between them near the end. Though the results were much more graphic.

And down to Hades he goes!

The dumpster fire that is the last 20 minutes of WW is basically the entire JLA movie. Right up to that point WW may have been the greatest Superhero movie since Christopher Reeve in Superman 1 & 2. Top 5 all time. Then it looked like a bad Zack Snyder student film.

17 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

The dumpster fire that is the last 20 minutes of WW is basically the entire JLA movie. Right up to that point WW may have been the greatest Superhero movie since Christopher Reeve in Superman 1 & 2. Top 5 all time. Then it looked like a bad Zack Snyder student film.

59 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

'Fans'

:roflmao:

44 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

I loved Wonder Woman, but some of the problems I had with it particularly were the useless "team" they got together that seemed to do nothing in the movie, Steve Trevor's constant "mansplaining" to Diana throughout the movie, got a little slow at times for no reason (such as Diana's talk with the Indian guide, why was that important again?), and yes, the paint by numbers climactic battle. I obviously preferred Captain Marvel. 

I have no problem with Ares being the big bad in Wonder Woman - I have Wonder Woman # 4, where he’s the villain - so he def. pre-dates both Cheetah and her lasso of truth.

But the actual fight was idiotic CGI wildly_fanciful_statement. This is Ares, the god of war, and all he does is throw lightning at her like it’s Street Fighter 2? C’mon!!