• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I am astounded that this did $1 billion. 

I am even more shocked that Ant-Man and the Wasp did $622 million in comparison.

I was shocked by how mediocre I found both Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

I like Paul Rudd, it was a pleasure just seeing Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer working again -- and Michael Pena was funny, but...

I thought Innerspace (Dennis Quaid / Martin Short) was better than either of them -- and it was done fully 30 years ago.

Edited by Gatsby77

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I was shocked by how mediocre I found both Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

I like Paul Rudd, it was a pleasure just seeing Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer working again -- and Michael Pena was funny, but...

I thought Innerspace (Dennis Quaid / Martin Short) was better than either of them -- and it was done fully 30 years ago.

I wonder if Ant-Man & Wasp missed the influence of Edgar Wright. The movie was okay, I just wanted to love it and didn't at all. 

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I am astounded that this did $1 billion. 

I am even more shocked that Ant-Man and the Wasp did $622 million in comparison.

I'll be very curious to see how these movies do once Endgame takes place. Spider-man should do well. But beyond that I don't know how much power these characters have without a bigger tie-in (Thanos/Avengers). Black Panther obviously has a strong following.

I'm not surprised at all.

There's a HUGE world out there that is NOT a part of the little entsy teentsy 'comic book community'. In fact, probably 99% of women are a part of the REAL world, rather than this comic book one. 

And many of them love the Marvel movies, but... have been waiting for a REAL kick but(t) female superhero as a part of the MCU.

And here she is.

DC_MCU_BO190421b.thumb.PNG.af6c06d9e41349545d25213a40ec3205.PNG

'Captain Marvel' Just Hit Big Box Office Milestone

Captain Marvel is now past $400 million domestic.

On the other hand, Captain Marvel 2 (or whatever it's eventually called) can cost a lot more than the first film's $150 million budget. The Brie Larson flick earned $9.4 million (+9%) in its seventh weekend to sail past the $400 million mark in North America. Yes, it's getting an Avengers; Endgame boost, one even bigger (relatively speaking) than did Black Panther (-14% on this weekend last year) just before Avengers: Infinity War. So, yes, the boost in weekday grosses, partially due to folks taking in one last viewing as part of their pre-Endgame MCU marathons, continued over the holiday weekend. The Chadwick Boseman drama went on to earn an additional $16.4 million after Avengers: Infinity War opened last summer.

Black Panther dropped just 4% on the weekend that Avengers 3 snagged a $258 million Fri-Sun domestic debut. Black Panther earned 2.3% of its money after Avengers: Infinity War opened in theaters. Should Captain Marvel play likewise (and that number may be higher), then we’re probably looking at a final domestic total of $417 million, just above Wonder Woman ($412.5 million in 2017) and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ($416 million last summer). Educated speculation aside, next year's MCU schedule is still a mystery, as they have kept mum thus far about plans after Spider-Man: Far From Home. But they may want to consider having a pre-summer MCU flick opening right before the big summer kick-off flick as a matter of course.

15 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Elizabeth Olsen can actually act, though.

I just find it amusing that the Brie Larson haters rant about her acting after the lady has won an OSCAR FOR BEST ACTOR. I don't care how much one dismisses the Academy Awards, you have to know how to "actually act" to win one of those awards. And Elizabeth Olsen is okay. But she's kind of forgettable though if she ain't playing a super-hero. I think she was in that first Godzilla movie, I forget. And her accent in Age of ULtron? Thank goodness the Russo Brothers seemed to have her lose the thing eventually. It was pretty awful.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I just find it amusing that the Brie Larson haters rant about her acting after the lady has won an OSCAR FOR BEST ACTOR. I don't care how much one dismisses the Academy Awards, you have to know how to "actually act" to win one of those awards. And Elizabeth Olsen is okay. But she's kind of forgettable though if she ain't playing a super-hero. I think she was in that first Godzilla movie, I forget. And her accent in Age of ULtron? Thank goodness the Russo Brothers seemed to have her lose the thing eventually. It was pretty awful.

I don't really care about her acting in other movies. In Captain Marvel she was stale. Not horrible or anything, but her "acting" wasn't anything above what I can perform when speaking to a police officer...

6 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'd say most folks really like Captain Marvel.

Amazing that it passed $400 million domestic more than three weeks faster than Wonder Woman did.

Higher, further, faster indeed.

Come on, now. It is very clear why it is moving up so quickly being squeezed between Infinity War and Endgame. To ignore that part of the film attraction is not being honest how wisely Disney marketed and staged Captain Marvel.

Wonder Woman had to overcome the hate stacked upon the DCU previous films. And still dominated its box office for an extended period. That in itself says a lot.

On 4/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, Bosco685 said:

Ruppel ended up seeing Captain Marvel 116 times, shattering the record.

I'm disappointed the article left out the fact that he's a misogynist who flew through the first 80 or so viewings fueled by the rage he felt every time Captain Marvel kicked the arse of a man on screen.  :taptaptap:

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm disappointed the article left out the fact that he's a misogynist who flew through the first 80 or so viewings fueled by the rage he felt every time Captain Marvel kicked the arse of a man on screen.  :taptaptap:

What was more important was his level of dedication to just picking a movie, versus this being a film that touched him so he had to see it multiple times like Infinity War did for that fellow that watched it 42 times.

"Looking back on it now, I might almost consider a Disney movie, because they're usually shorter and probably around for a while, but that singing would drive me crazy. It really would," Ruppel said

:insane:

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Come on, now. It is very clear why it is moving up so quickly being squeezed between Infinity War and Endgame. To ignore that part of the film attraction is not being honest how wisely Disney marketed and staged Captain Marvel.

Wonder Woman had to overcome the hate stacked upon the DCU previous films. And still dominated its box office for an extended period. That in itself says a lot.

I was simply stating a fact, and my astonishment at that fact.

But...since you went there, with your opinion that seems aimed at diminishing its runaway success:

I'm not buying the "it's only a hit because it ties to Endgame" argument. That gets it a solid first two weeks -- it doesn't get it the repeat viewings necessary to get it to $400M domestic. Another movie that fits this mold: Aquaman. Its amazing box office success (and legs) through a very competitive holiday season and beyond means that _a lot_ of people liked it enough for repeat viewings.

Nor do I buy the "it's a hit because its riding on Infinity War's coattails" -- if that were true, Ant-Man and the Wasp -- released while Infinity War was still in theaters, would have made $400M domestic. Instead, it couldn't even reach $200M.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I just find it amusing that the Brie Larson haters rant about her acting after the lady has won an OSCAR FOR BEST ACTOR.

She won Best Actress that year while DiCaprio won Best Actor. (Sorry, my OCD) And she deserved it, she had a quiet yet powerful performance. She has also had great performances in bad movies. I think she was just off her mark in Captain Marvel for me. Plenty of great actors and actresses have delivered mediocre performances including De Niro. Jared Leto is one of my favorite actors but he did not deliver the right Joker. I think the director has a big responsibility in bringing out the right performance from the actor as well. But Larson obviously knocked it out of the park for the majority in this thread so it worked for many of you. Just don’t use box office as a gauge for film quality. It’s not like Transformers, Fast and Furious and Aquaman will be getting a Criterion release anytime soon. My daughters haven’t seen it yet so will take them soon. I watched it online in Afghanistan. They are fine critics as well for their age, they loved Dark Knight and disliked Batman V Superman. So they are on the right track.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What was more important was his level of dedication to just picking a movie, versus this being a film that touched him so he had to see it multiple times like Infinity War did for that fellow that watched it 42 times.

:insane:

Not sure how random a pick Captain Marvel was, as the guy was an MCU fan and seeing how much CM was in the news for better or worse, it got his stunt that much more publicity. There ought to be a Guinness record for passionately watching a movie the most times. I think after my fourth Infinity War viewing, though, I started to get annoyed at all the times the Guardians or the Avengers coulda have stopped or thwarted Thanos easily.