• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I was simply stating a fact, and my astonishment at that fact.

But...since you went there, with your opinion that seems aimed at diminishing its runaway success:

I'm not buying the "it's only a hit because it ties to Endgame" argument. That gets it a solid first two weeks -- it doesn't get it the repeat viewings necessary to get it to $400M domestic. Another movie that fits this mold: Aquaman. Its amazing box office success (and legs) through a very competitive holiday season and beyond means that _a lot_ of people liked it enough for repeat viewings.

Nor do I buy the "it's a hit because its riding on Infinity War's coattails" -- if that were true, Ant-Man and the Wasp -- released while Infinity War was still in theaters, would have made $400M domestic. Instead, it couldn't even reach $200M.

In no way did I state ONLY appearing before Endgame is the reason for its massive success. But where Ant-Man had no association with Infinity War other than the final end credits (very loosely), Captain Marvel clearly tied in to the final credits of Infinity War and with the Tesseract appearance clearly shows relevance to Endgame. Add to this Disney started plugging her in the Endgame trailers and it conveys how important she will be in the next Avengers plot.

So people are ramping up for Endgame to ensure they fully understand her fit into the story, and prior to this why Nick Fury had a pager summoning Captain Marvel at the point of his Decimation fate. It all ties together. Hence, rapid box office success wisely planned out by Disney.

Edited by Bosco685

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not sure how random a pick Captain Marvel was, as the guy was an MCU fan and seeing how much CM was in the news for better or worse, it got his stunt that much more publicity. There ought to be a Guinness record for passionately watching a movie the most times. I think after my fourth Infinity War viewing, though, I started to get annoyed at all the times the Guardians or the Avengers coulda have stopped or thwarted Thanos easily.

With that statement he makes it very clear he was going to select ANY movie from Disney. He just went with this one due to timing, and appreciating the MCU.

Now the fellow that watched Infinity War was wildly impacted by its story, and made it clear with each photo he took with a brand new ticket he couldn't get enough of this film. Not 'Well, I had to pick a Disney film, so this one was there!'

Just now, Mr Sneeze said:

Captain Marvel kicked butt and continues to kick it. I can see her playing a very prominent role in endgame.

I doubt it and I also hope not.

The Russo Bros. have told us that Endgame focuses on the Original 6. The Avengers failed in Infinity War because they were fractured, overconfident, and some unwilling to sacrifice the one for the many ("sacrifice" being a key element to the movie). 1 player should not tip the scales (especially when she's no different than Scarlet Witch, who if you remember, actually destroyed an Infinity Stone).

I'd like to see some failure and humility from Carol Danvers prior to success. If she gets her ace handed to her from Thanos, and realizes that she's not the single answer, I will be rooting for her.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Captain Marvel is no more "kick butt" than Scarlet Witch.

Elizabeth Olsen can actually act, though.

I don’t think she has a large catalog of movies under her belt yet. I can’t remember her being in much. She is awesome to watch as Scarlett Witch though, a character I know nothing about other than from the MCU. The only movie I recall Olson standing out in is Wind River, she did an excellent job there with Hawkeye.

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

I don’t think she has a large catalog of movies under her belt yet. I can’t remember her being in much. She is awesome to watch as Scarlett Witch though, a character I know nothing about other than from the MCU. The only movie I recall Olson standing out in is Wind River, she did an excellent job there with Hawkeye.

This!

I know the story is quite dark and troubling. But man that movie was really good. Especially the ending decision on the part of Jeremy Renner. Solid story!

Just now, Oddball said:

I was speaking mostly within the MCU. I liked Larson in 21 Jump Street, so I know she can act. IMO she didn't do Captain Marvel any favors, but she didn't really hurt the character, I guess.

Olsen's acting as Scarlet Witch is pretty good. She's was okay in Godzilla IMO.

There's a funny review out there that includes/mentions Larson not moving her face in Captain Marvel. The supporting footage of this really makes me cringe. lol That might be why some would say her performance was "stale".

26 minutes ago, Oddball said:

The only movie I recall Olson standing out in is Wind River, she did an excellent job there with Hawkeye.

And I forgot about the big shootout scene. Renner and Olsen really played well off of each other throughout this film. 

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And I forgot about the big shootout scene. Renner and Olsen really played well off of each other throughout this film. 

Great action sequence.

For me, it was Olson in the hospital scene laying in bed recalling how the girl died in the snow that stood out. Now I remember where I’ve seen her before that. Oldboy.

22 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This image makes it look like Olson is about to use her Hex Powers but then is like "dammit, wrong movie!"

Barton has a particularly extraordinary skill set conducive to Avenging.

Having a wife and kids?

Engaging in combat with Black Panther and not dying? (Pretty sure T'Challa only wanted to kill Bucky.)

Alex Ovechkin seems like a better Avengers candidate to me. I dare you to tell me he doesn't have the accuracy...

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

This image makes it look like Olson is about to use her Hex Powers but then is like "dammit, wrong movie!"

Come on. You have to find at least one more solid commentary with the same video. I have faith in you.

:baiting:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Come on. You have to find at least one more solid commentary with the same video. I have faith in you.

:baiting:

Look, Jeremy Renner is great and the best Olson sister is good, but I just don't think I can watch them in anything else and not see them as Avengers.

Look, Jeremy Renner is great and the best Olson sister is good, but I just don't think I can watch them in anything else and not see them as Avengers.

I get it when an actor has become so associated with a role it is hard to shake that off. In this film, I didn't have that problem.

(shrug)