• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Someone conveniently forgot The Wasp. One of the OG Avengers...

I’m talking about the MCU. There have been plenty of female Avengers in the comics. It’s only in the past year we got Wasp and Captain Marvel. If there’s an Avengers team after Endgame, it’ll be almost half female with Marvel, Wasp, and Witch. Which might preclude the gimmicky “need” for an all female Avengers squad. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I’m talking about the MCU. There have been plenty of female Avengers in the comics. It’s only in the past year we got Wasp and Captain Marvel. If there’s an Avengers team after Endgame, it’ll be almost half female with Marvel, Wasp, and Witch. Which might preclude the gimmicky “need” for an all female Avengers squad. 

Idk where you get this "almost half" from.

Ant-Man, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Falcon, Spider-Man, White Wolf - that's already twice as many.

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Are you being sarcastic? The first Avengers movie was five white dudes with a female secretary.

Makes it sound about as liberal and inclusive as the Golden Age, 1940s Justice Society in All-Star Comics.

Fair point about having an all-female team, then.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Makes it sound about as liberal and inclusive as the Golden Age, 1940s Justice Society in All-Star Comics.

Fair point about having an all-female team, then.

Being kind of sarcastic, the point being that the Avengers and the MCU in general has been mostly male heroes, understanding that it's also an inherent problem with comic book source material in general.

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Being kind of sarcastic, the point being that the Avengers and the MCU in general has been mostly male heroes, understanding that it's also an inherent problem with comic book source material in general.

It just amused me as an observation, thinking about and comparing the 21st Century Avengers’ initial structure with Wonder Woman’s isolation and status in a team from a far gone era.

36 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Great issue. 

Yup.  

I’ve just started re-reading mid-to-late Silver Age Avengers; some of Thomas’ best  stories, and John Buscema’s artwork is often superb, especially with a complimentary inker such as Klein or Palmer.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

lol

Why are you on a comic book forum if there's "an inherent problem with comic book source material"..?

This isn't the place for political agendas. We're here to talk comics. Please leave SJ out of this.

Clearly your sense of comic book history is shaped by comicsgate and not by actual comic book history. Comic books, particularly since the 1960’s, reflected and addressed the social justice issues of the time. The Black Panther and Falcon, both co-created by Stan Lee, were reflections of 60’s Civil Rights. The famed Green Lantern Green Arrow series by Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams touched on a different social justice issue every month, like workers rights and racism in America. Ms Marvel was born out of Stan Lee’s awareness of the women’s independence movement in the 1970’s. The Uncanny X-Men have always been a metaphor for civil rights whether Stan Lee or Chris Claremont wrote them. It’s an issue that absolutely has a place in a comic collector forum. The “problem” for studios today who are trying to increase the audience demographic for super-hero comic book movies, is that there still aren’t enough major characters that represent different genders or races, to appeal to that wider demographic. For Marvel, after Carol Danvers and Black Widow, there aren’t any more major solo female characters. After Panther and Falcon, there aren’t anymore major black heroes. DC has the same issue. After Wonder Woman and Supergirl, they have to turn to villains like Catwoman or Harley Quinn.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Clearly your sense of comic book history is shaped by comicsgate and not by actual comic book history. Comic books, particularly since the 1960’s, reflected and addressed the social justice issues of the time. The Black Panther and Falcon, both co-created by Stan Lee, were reflections of 60’s Civil Rights. The famed Green Lantern Green Arrow series by Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams touched on a different social justice issue every month, like workers rights and racism in America. Ms Marvel was born out of Stan Lee’s awareness of the women’s independence movement in the 1970’s. The Uncanny X-Men have always been a metaphor for civil rights whether Stan Lee or Chris Claremont wrote them. It’s an issue that absolutely has a place in a comic collector forum. The “problem” for studios today who are trying to increase the audience demographic for super-hero comic book movies, is that there still aren’t enough major characters that represent different genders or races, to appeal to that wider demographic. For Marvel, after Carol Danvers and Black Widow, there aren’t any more major solo female characters. After Panther and Falcon, there aren’t anymore major black heroes. DC has the same issue. After Wonder Woman and Supergirl, they have to turn to villains like Catwoman or Harley Quinn.

I don't even know WTF "comicsgate" is? You and other male feminists keep using this as some excuse to disregard opposing opinions. Are they a subsidiary of Lionsgate?

You are the one complaining about "flawed source material", but then contradicting yourself?

How is any of this relative to the Captain Marvel movie?

Also, I'm opposed to studios using movies to address their agendas. Let's keep cinemas around for escapism. Star Wars and Marvel Studios are not good mediums for real-life politics.

I already have to deal with all that BS via Facebook, and Twitter, and the entire internet.

Edited by TwoPiece

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't even know WTF "comicsgate" is? You and other male feminists keep using this as some excuse to disregard opposing opinions. Are they a subsidiary of Lionsgate?

You are the one complaining about "flawed source material", but then contradicting yourself?

How is any of this relative to the Captain Marvel movie?

You don’t have to know what comicsgate  or alt-right politics is to be shaped by it. If you’re using terms like SJW in this forum, you’ve been influenced by it. The hilarious thing is you say politics have no place in this forum but then you throw that very toxic political tag around in a lot of your posts. Isn’t it ironic?

I also never said I have a “problem” with comics or said they were “flawed.” But it is a problem for DC and Marvel who are trying to diversify their super-hero films but don’t have enough major diverse heroes to supply that want.

19 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

"flawed source material",

More like throwaway products, created under pressure with little time available, and not typically intended or expected to have watertight plots and concepts.

I tend to give the source material some latitude.

:smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You don’t have to know what comicsgate  or alt-right politics is to be shaped by it. If you’re using terms like SJW in this forum, you’ve been influenced by it. The hilarious thing is you say politics have no place in this forum but then you throw that very toxic political tag around in a lot of your posts. Isn’t it ironic?

I also never said I have a “problem” with comics or said they were “flawed.” But it is a problem for DC and Marvel who are trying to diversify their super-hero films but don’t have enough major diverse heroes to supply that want.

Ah, the ol', "even if you don't know what it is, if you present a singular perspective, you have been influenced" by it routine.

ud796m9.jpg

After reading that - the rest of the post isn't worth a look. It's embarrassing.

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  

I’ve just started re-reading mid-to-late Silver Age Avengers; some of Thomas’ best  stories, and John Buscema’s artwork is often superb, especially with a complimentary inker such as Klein or Palmer.

I remember meeting Tom Palmer a few years ago at Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC (one of the best shows of the year). 

Seeing his actual artwork made me realize he was more than just an inker - but rather a finisher! An artists as good as some he inked! Yes, very complimentary indeed!