• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2019 at 4:55 AM, fantastic_four said:

I also am sick of people using the word "racist."  Racism is a spectrum, and we're all somewhere on it.  Far fewer people are the at the end of the spectrum of complete racial objectivity than think they are.  So you think that person over there is a racist because of <insert reason here>?  Well, are you living in an area where you're a minority in that area?  Have you dated and married people of a different race, and have you had mixed-race children yet?  If not, then perhaps there's still a thread or two of racism in you, too?  hm  Institutional segregation ended half a century ago, yet 80% or more of the major races in America have mostly self-segregated themselves into racially heterogeneous neighborhoods.  Much of that is more related to fleeing crime and poverty than race, but they're all wrapped together due to the history of slavery and Jim Crow, and the fact remains that voluntary racial segregation is still the reality of life for the great majority of people in America.

Racism is a relative concept.  Everyone who uses it about someone else tends to think that other person is more racist than they are, yet most of the people who use it are also more racist than someone else, too.  It's counterproductive to use the term except when describing a clearly extreme example of it.  There are much more appropriate and less inflammatory words to use that are FAR more effective in changing whoever you're trying to change in labeling someone as a racist.

I just keep it simple and embrace or reject someone based on their own merits. As society goes i feel like the same machine that mandated racism 75 years ago is mandating tolerance today. i have no use for it. Its all control. Like the joker said their morals are a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble, when the chips are down these civilized people will eat each other.  I think there is more truth to that than most people can admit to themselves.  I think if you are true to yourself racism is ruled out because we are all just members of the human race in reality. So i never worry about society telling me what boxes I need to check regarding racial objectivity. As far as advancing minorities in this country at this point I think its largely about economic disparity. Solid parenting must push their children to succeed financially because all the protests and noise in the world will never level the playing field as long as a group of people is impoverished or struggling financially. The more money minority families have the more minorities will be in better neighborhoods, better schools, better access to legal counsel etc.

Edited by mar-vell

On 4/27/2019 at 12:34 PM, Oddball said:

Wow, I don’t know that guy, do you? Because you’ve definitely made assumptions about him. Somewhat negative review so he’s a hater? The defensive positions people are taking are odd. It’s just a movie. Once again: Just. A. Movie. Are we teenagers here? You can trash my favorite movie all day and I’m not losing sleep. Hell, it’s not like I made it.

Pretty sure he just waits, hunched over his keyboard/phone, wringing his hands and hoping someone will post some less than orgasmic reaction to this movie. 

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Interesting results on the IMDb user ratings and RT audience ratings. After all the tampering on the latter, I trust IMDb more.

CM_VSWW00.PNG.7e2235c5caf911b6cd5f1a7fb5a6c08c.PNG

I've been saying this all along - and for a very specific reason.

IMDB has a much greater incentive to verify data and keep it accurate -- because it sells that data to IMDBPro users.

It's far harder to manipulate the audience numbers there than on RT.

Same, IMDB has more voters, its been around longer/most established, and it's not as easy to quickly vote. I was saying the same thing with Last Jedi and most any other brigaded movie.

Edited by Rip

33 minutes ago, Rip said:

Same, IMDB has more voters, its been around longer/most established, and it's not as easy to quickly vote. I was saying the same thing with Last Jedi and most any other brigaded movie.

I love how IMDb even shares demographics who it is that is ranking these films. RT hasn't even touched this level of tracking yet.

Yeah - and any time it doesn't follow a bell-curve is evidence of a concerted voting campaign, or dishonest voting.

Notice that twice the number of people have given Captain Marvel a "10" as have given it a "1" -- but that the rest of the votes are clustered around 6-9, while very few voted it a "2" or a "3."

Gives credence to the view that many of those who voted it a "1" simply want to see it fail.

Very few films are as legitimately polarizing as say..."Mother!" or "Passion of the Christ" where clusters at either end of the extremes are understandable. Otherwise, when you see such an obvious outlier, it likely means there's something disingenuos afoot...

Likewise, looking at the user scores for "The Last Jedi" show it's true score is around a 7-8 (which I think is about right) -- with more than 40% of scores being one of those numbers.

574712238_LastJediUserRatings.thumb.png.deac9a624a9a5798260677aa6396223c.png

Then you've got very few ratings of 2-4, before seeing 6.6% of votes giving it a 1.

24 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - and any time it doesn't follow a bell-curve is evidence of a concerted voting campaign, or dishonest voting.

Notice that twice the number of people have given Captain Marvel a "10" as have given it a "1" -- but that the rest of the votes are clustered around 6-9, while very few voted it a "2" or a "3."

Gives credence to the view that many of those who voted it a "1" simply want to see it fail.

Very few films are as legitimately polarizing as say..."Mother!" or "Passion of the Christ" where clusters at either end of the extremes are understandable. Otherwise, when you see such an obvious outlier, it likely means there's something disingenuos afoot...

Likewise, looking at the user scores for "The Last Jedi" show it's true score is around a 7-8 (which I think is about right) -- with more than 40% of scores being one of those numbers.

Then you've got very few ratings of 2-4, before seeing 6.6% of votes giving it a 1.

You can definitely tell the hardcores either way that wanted to make a point with the 10 and 1 votes compared to the Mean and Median

Love it, hate it or something in-between, that's why when we had that Batman v Superman survey I concentrated on the central tendencies versus just the average. It helps you see past the outliers from folks wanting to make a point they hated or loved a film beyond the norm.

BvS_survey.PNG.5fb357481b59eb00b8838b5b37b5ef74.PNG

Yeah - or that the general public loved Iron Man 3 far more than the minority of comic book geeks.

With nearly 700,000 votes, it's rated at 7.2 -- the same as Captain Marvel, and (appropriately) higher than Iron Man 2 (a mere 7.0), Thor, or Thor 2.

Here, again, more than 50% of users rated it a 7 or an 8.

Iron Man 3 IMDB ratings.png

Edited by Gatsby77