• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

My favorite movie channel, Nando v Movies, has finally released a video for Captain Marvel. I honestly think he is right on the money with this change - which could have made the movie even better and enhance the setup for future Marvel movies. Thoughts?

Edited by Sauce Dog
proper video link

Had to sit through this again as I rented it on iTunes for my daughters. I’m glad they enjoyed it but I could not get past Larsons bland acting like she was reading it from the -script for the first time. Which puzzles me since she is a capable actress. The -script also called for her to smirk her half smile throughout the movie for some reason and it stopped being cute from overuse. Fury was too far out of character but man it was amazing how they transformed him. Those effects were the only positive I saw in the film. Too many eye rolling moments. Near the bottom of the MCU stack for me. Hopefully she expands her range and ability in the next one. But then again, they made a ton of money so they may not change anything with her. 

10 hours ago, Oddball said:

Had to sit through this again as I rented it on iTunes for my daughters. I’m glad they enjoyed it but I could not get past Larsons bland acting like she was reading it from the --script for the first time. Which puzzles me since she is a capable actress. The --script also called for her to smirk her half smile throughout the movie for some reason and it stopped being cute from overuse. Fury was too far out of character but man it was amazing how they transformed him. Those effects were the only positive I saw in the film. Too many eye rolling moments. Near the bottom of the MCU stack for me. Hopefully she expands her range and ability in the next one. But then again, they made a ton of money so they may not change anything with her. 

A good analysis IMO.

I disagree on Fury, only because this was him before he saw everything he saw prior to Iron Man/Avengers.

When my best friend first saw it, he said "it seems like a Top 10 MCU film to me". I said, "let's go through every film and see how they stack up against each other". In the end, we agreed that it only tops 3-4 other films (The Incredible Hulk, Thor: The Dark World, and GotG Vol. 2). Easily at the bottom of the pile. So, while Captain Marvel is a mediocre movie, it's a bad MCU film IMO.

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Finally watched this.  Very boring, lost interest around when Talos was sitting down in the house having tea or something.  Larson has zero personality and barely any charisma.

Thought my daughter would like it but she said Wonder Woman was better.

Just viewed it Saturday and I couldn't agree more with everything you just stated.  One thing I couldn't stop thinking about is how in Endgame she literally decimated an ENTIRE ship with her powers but had trouble with any instigator in the movie.  Her powers were either God like powerful or bordering on Jubilee.

Edited by sagekilz

On 6/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, Sauce Dog said:

My favorite movie channel, Nando v Movies, has finally released a video for Captain Marvel. I honestly think he is right on the money with this change - which could have made the movie even better and enhance the setup for future Marvel movies. Thoughts?

XXX. Wrong answer on Talos.

As much as Captain Marvel was a film of female empowerment, Carol Danvers also had three important male mentors in this movie: Yonn-Rogg, Nick Fury, and Talos. Nick Fury aside, Yonn-Rogg and Talos were two sides of the same coin. Two Generals of opposing sides of a war, each fighting in this movie for the soul of one of the most powerful beings in the universe.

[SPOILERS] Up until the end of the film when the Kree Star Force meets the Skrull refugees, Yonn Rogg had not yet met Talos in the movie. Following Anton Chekov's rule of engagement (present a loaded gun, it must be fired) it was important, at some point, that these two generals must come to blows one way or another. Even if it should be a cheap shot. That's how Yonn-Rogg killed Carol's first mentor, Mar Vell, after all. A cheap shot.

[SPOILERS] However, instead of Yonn-Rogg killing Talos, like Mar Vell, he is wounded. This serves three purposes. First, it allows these two generals to come to blows, to physically make contact, even though it's by gunfire. It's a Kree-Skrull war, so we must see an important figure at least get wounded. Second, it reveals more of Yonn-Rogg's character as a villain who cares little for rules of engagement on the battlefield, especially when it comes to Skrulls. And third, it serves to force Maria Rambeau to pilot the ship, since Talos is injured, and thus allows her to have her "hero moment." 

Now, if Yonn Rogg had killed Talos with that cheap shot, then Carol would have had to kill Yonn-Rogg. Carol needed to face her Kree mentor either way, but Yonn Rogg's sins would have been too great. He killed Mar Vell. He killed the doofus Skrull science officer. Killing Talos would have meant a death sentence at the hands of Carol. Rules of cinema would have required it. It also would have wasted a great character just as we were getting to know him (he's guaranteed for a sequel). But maybe more important, it would have made Captain Marvel just too bloody and depressing a movie leading into Endgame. Captain Marvel needed to be a proper introduction for Carol, but also not be too heavy. We were about to see a couple of Avengers die in a couple months, after all.

The video reviewer guy laments the potential for a Secret Invasion. We're probably not getting that. There will be more Kree-Skrull Conflict in Captain Marvel 2, if we're to believe the recent leak, which I do. And the next big villain, according to that leak, will be Korvac, a much bigger threat to the universe as a whole than a bunch of Skrulls.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, Oddball said:

Had to sit through this again as I rented it on iTunes for my daughters. I’m glad they enjoyed it but I could not get past Larsons bland acting like she was reading it from the --script for the first time. Which puzzles me since she is a capable actress. The --script also called for her to smirk her half smile throughout the movie for some reason and it stopped being cute from overuse. Fury was too far out of character but man it was amazing how they transformed him. Those effects were the only positive I saw in the film. Too many eye rolling moments. Near the bottom of the MCU stack for me. Hopefully she expands her range and ability in the next one. But then again, they made a ton of money so they may not change anything with her. 

I've seen this complaint from a couple of guys who didn't like the movie, that they also didn't like Carol Danvers' smirking arrogant attitude throughout the movie. Now, I loved Captain Marvel and loved Brie Larson's portrayal of Carol. Im not saying you're wrong, but here's how I saw it.

I saw Vers, at the beginning of the movie, as like a teenage daughter given these awesome powers for no apparent reason and no baggage of a history or past, and simply having fun with it. Yonn-Rogg was like the disciplinary uncle trying to get this Earthling to act more like a Kree. As we learn the truth about Vers' past along with her, she begins to sober up and become more of an adult, metaphorically speaking. 

I think it was also important to the film and the MCU as a whole, that Captain Marvel not be too sober leading into Endgame. I think it was important for the main character to be allowed to have fun with her first movie, just like some of the guys do in their movies.

And if we're to believe the recent leak about Captain Marvel 2, Carol Danvers' life is about to get a little more serious. Yes, Captain Marvel made a lot of money, but this universe has been great about allowing the characters to grow and develop. I'm 100% sure the talented filmmakers and Brie Larson will require that in the next movie.

10 hours ago, sagekilz said:

Just viewed it Saturday and I couldn't agree more with everything you just stated.  One thing I couldn't stop thinking about is how in Endgame she literally decimated an ENTIRE ship with her powers but had trouble with any instigator in the movie.  Her powers were either God like powerful or bordering on Jubilee.

Maybe actually try watching the movie instead of having it on in the background and walking in and out of the room or taking a phone call. If you'd actually WATCHED the movie, your question concerning Carol Danvers' powers from the beginning of Captain Marvel to the end and going into Endgame would have been answered.

20 year old door girl at work told me she saw Endgame and liked it. I asked her, "Do you watch Super Hero movies?"

"The Marvel ones." (Branding apparently works)

So I asked, "What'd you think of the Captain Marvel movie?"

"That was one of my favorites", she said, "I like how they didn't overly sexualize her. She was like a real Super Hero. I liked Black Panther too. I thought Shiri was a really cool character. I loved her."

I then asked, "Do you read comic books?"

She almost acted embarrassed, "Uh, no... no."

8 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The video reviewer guy laments the potential for a Secret Invasion. We're probably not getting that. There will be more Kree-Skrull Conflict in Captain Marvel 2, if we're to believe the recent leak, which I do. And the next big villain, according to that leak, will be Korvac, a much bigger threat to the universe as a whole than a bunch of Skrulls.

8 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And if we're to believe the recent leak about Captain Marvel 2, Carol Danvers' life is about to get a little more serious. Yes, Captain Marvel made a lot of money, but this universe has been great about allowing the characters to grow and develop. I'm 100% sure the talented filmmakers and Brie Larson will require that in the next movie.

:gossip: It's called a 'rumor' as nobody confirmed MarvelScoopMaster is Kevin Feige sending out details from his basement server with a mad giggle. Update your Captain Marvel templates.

FEIGE_LEAK01.thumb.PNG.766c27ce4afe9c216219e2422b5bed47.PNG

Edited by Bosco685