• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Typical BS sins added, for unfunny 'humor', but accurate nonetheless.

He missed the one where she said: "How do I get to Louisiana?" and Fury answered "Due east, take a right at Memphis".

No matter where they were (East Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Southern California), that's the best way to pass Louisiana completely and fly indirectly to Mississippi.

If the goal was to go to New Orleans, then taking a right at Memphis would sorta work (wasting time), but it would be much easier to say "head southeast to New Orleans".

united-states-map.jpg

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Typical BS sins added, for unfunny 'humor', but accurate nonetheless.

You could add his super annoying voice in the video...:devil:

Would not want to be in the same room with this guy ever watching any movie...:facepalm:

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

You could add his super annoying voice in the video...:devil:

Would not want to be in the same room with this guy ever watching any movie...:facepalm:

Yeah, his voice sucks, but most of the videos are entertaining to me nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Yeah, his voice sucks, but most of the videos are entertaining to me nonetheless.

Well he certainly isn’t entirely wrong but most entertainment today IS pretty formalistic but it gets to the point of why watch anything then? You pretty much know that all of it is going to be full of cliches and the best you can hope for today is a certain level of entertainment. Sure you can rip apart any movie or tv show today but I guess I have to ask if it bothers you THAT much try reading a good book...

Just now, N e r V said:

Well he certainly isn’t entirely wrong but most entertainment today IS pretty formalistic but it gets to the point of why watch anything then? You pretty much know that all of it is going to be full of cliches and the best you can hope for today is a certain level of entertainment. Sure you can rip apart any movie or tv show today but I guess I have to ask if it bothers you THAT much try reading a good book...

I just like watching videos (Honest Trailers, CinemaSins, reviews) that destroy things I dislike.

Even those types of videos for movies I like/love tend to be funny/good.

The movie's directors have opened up to Digital Spy about one planned scene involving Jude Law's Yon-Rogg and his fate at the hands of Captain Marvel.

"We toyed with different ideas of where she might send him off to at the end, and one time we joked that maybe she sent him off and he ended up in Sakaar much like Thor: Ragnarok," Anna Boden said. "We see his ship opening up in that junkyard and we know what's coming for him."

Ryan Fleck added: "An original end credits tag was Yon-Rogg ending up on Sakaar, but I think the tags we ended up with are pretty delightful."

Fleck also explained why Law's character was kept secret before Captain Marvel was released, revealing: "He is the central villain from the comic books, Yon-Rogg.

"One of the things even when we were writing and cutting the movie together, in the first act of the movie, there were a few times where Carol referred to, in the dialogue, Yon-Rogg, she calls him by name early in the film.

"We cut those out of the -script because we wanted to keep it mysterious about who he was so that any fans in the theatre who follows the comics, they wouldn't necessarily know who he was.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

They basically had to give us an Endgame tie-in, though, after Fury paged her in Infinity War. They should've done this Yon-Rogg one mid-credits and skipped the flerkin Tesseract one. Not sure if showing the Grandmaster again, pre-Endgame, would've been a good direction since he wasn't in Avengers 4. So maybe they did the right thing so that we don't have any, "what about that credit scene?" questions after the Infinity Saga.

On 7/9/2019 at 7:25 AM, TwoPiece said:

They basically had to give us an Endgame tie-in, though, after Fury paged her in Infinity War. They should've done this Yon-Rogg one mid-credits and skipped the flerkin Tesseract one. Not sure if showing the Grandmaster again, pre-Endgame, would've been a good direction since he wasn't in Avengers 4. So maybe they did the right thing so that we don't have any, "what about that credit scene?" questions after the Infinity Saga.

I think sending Yonn-Rogg to Sakaar (and essentially his death) might've been a little too mean spirited for this movie (which had a lighter more upbeat tone to contrast with the dark Avengers movie that sandwiched it). If they had "killed" Yonn-Rogg in such a manner, it would have served the movie better to rather have Carol and Yonn-Rogg have some fight to the death or have him die meaningfully within the movie somehow to give it more impact. He killed Mar-Vell so he deserves a bigger sentence than a comedic ending in the end credits.

Having Carol tell Yonn-Rogg to give the S.I. on Hala a message sets up the character for the sequel and perhaps either another showdown or redemption.

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think sending Yonn-Rogg to Sakaar (and essentially his death) might've been a little too mean spirited for this movie (which had a lighter more upbeat tone to contrast with the dark Avengers movie that sandwiched it). If they had "killed" Yonn-Rogg in such a manner, it would have served the movie better to rather have Carol and Yonn-Rogg have some fight to the death or have him die meaningfully within the movie somehow to give it more impact. He killed Mar-Vell so he deserves a bigger sentence than a comedic ending in the end credits.

Having Carol tell Yonn-Rogg to give the S.I. on Hala a message sets up the character for the sequel and perhaps either another showdown or redemption.

Why do you assume that sending Yon-Rogg to Sakaar would lead to "essentially his death"..?

I suspect that another CM prequel will kill most enthusiasm/optimism for the character. And, if she hasn't taken care of the problems she experienced in the 90's within the past 30 years, then wtf is she even doing with her life..?

11 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Why do you assume that sending Yon-Rogg to Sakaar would lead to "essentially his death"..?

I suspect that another CM prequel will kill most enthusiasm/optimism for the character. And, if she hasn't taken care of the problems she experienced in the 90's within the past 30 years, then wtf is she even doing with her life..?

Yonn-Rogg would have been crushed like a flea in the Grandmaster's arena, probably by Doug.

I'm almost certain CM2 will be another prequel that continues the Kree-Skrull conflict and helps set up the next Avengers-level cosmic event. And especially after the Spider-Man FFH end credits, I need to know how we got to a place where Nick Fury is giving orders on a Skrull ship and trusts Talos and Mrs. Talos to be in charge of Earth's biggest secrets for a a few weeks.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yonn-Rogg would have been crushed like a flea in the Grandmaster's arena, probably by Doug.

I'm almost certain CM2 will be another prequel that continues the Kree-Skrull conflict and helps set up the next Avengers-level cosmic event. And especially after the Spider-Man FFH end credits, I need to know how we got to a place where Nick Fury is giving orders on a Skrull ship and trusts Talos and Mrs. Talos to be in charge of Earth's biggest secrets for a a few weeks.

Not every citizen of Sakaar fights in The Grandmaster's Contest of Champions... Valkyrie? Loki? Did you watch Ragnarok..?

Captain Marvel 2 will probably suck harder than this one if it's another prequel.

11 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Not every citizen of Sakaar fights in The Grandmaster's Contest of Champions... Valkyrie? Loki? Did you watch Ragnarok..?

Captain Marvel 2 will probably ROCK harder than this one if it's another prequel.

Fixed that for you. CM2 will almost 100% be a prequel. Wonder Woman:1984 will also obviously be a prequel and I think this continues the friendly competition in a way between Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman. But more important, this is a chance to establish the MCU over a past and present timeline that movies like Dr Strange and Spider-Man can't do. Eternals and Black Widow will also take place in the past, and like CM2, should have important implications for the future. Past, present, future, whatever. Just tell a good story and it works. Any MCU movie at this point is guaranteed to be a good story. These are golden times.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Fixed that for you. CM2 will almost 100% be a prequel. Wonder Woman:1984 will also obviously be a prequel and I think this continues the friendly competition in a way between Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman. But more important, this is a chance to establish the MCU over a past and present timeline that movies like Dr Strange and Spider-Man can't do. Eternals and Black Widow will also take place in the past, but like CM2, should have important implications for the future. Past, present, future, whatever. Just tell a good story and it works. Any MCU movie at this point is guaranteed to be a good story. These are golden times.

You actually broke it.

Wonder Woman 1984 is also going to blow, sadly.

The problem with Captain Marvel even worse than Wonder Woman is that:

1. The 90's nostalgia was carp, and another prequel will make it even worse.

2. If it's space-based, and the nostalgia effect doesn't exist, what are we to connect with..?

Hopefully they just scrap it, recast her, and use her as the next 'Hulk' (where she only appears in crossovers).

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The problem with Captain Marvel even worse than Wonder Woman is that:

1. The 90's nostalgia was carp, and another prequel will make it even worse.

2. If it's space-based, and the nostalgia effect doesn't exist, what are we to connect with..?

Well you're coming from a line-in-the-sand biased point-of-view so there's no point debating the merits of Captain Marvel's story, but I like this game, so...

The 90's references in CM weren't just nostalgia. They were integral to the story. Because Earth's communication in the early 90's was craap, Vers had to go analog in her search for Mar Vell and the energy core. Since the phones were all payphones or land lines, she couldn't maintain comms with Star-Force, allowing her to be cut off from them and discover the truth for herself. Since records in those days were still kept in paper form, she simply couldn't computer hack the files, but had to physically seek out the records setting up a physical confrontation with SHIELD and the Skrulls. Captain Marvel had brilliant storytelling by two very good filmmakers, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck.

I'm looking forward to a space based Captain Marvel story where the origin is out of the way. If rumors are true that Korvac will be in the movie and that he and Carol will have some kind of relationship, that could be very interesting. Especially for future implications. If Nick Fury is in the movie, that will be another chance for timely references and give us a little more back story to the salty Nick Fury we're all familiar with. My guess is that this prequel will be set a few years from CM, maybe half-way between that movie and Iron Man?

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well you're coming from a line-in-the-sand biased point-of-view so there's no point debating the merits of Captain Marvel's story, but I like this game, so...

The 90's references in CM weren't just nostalgia. They were integral to the story. Because Earth's communication in the early 90's was craap, Vers had to go analog in her search for Mar Vell and the energy core. Since the phones were all payphones or land lines, she couldn't maintain comms with Star-Force, allowing her to be cut off from them and discover the truth for herself. Since records in those days were still kept in paper form, she simply couldn't computer hack the files, but had to physically seek out the records setting up a physical confrontation with SHIELD and the Skrulls. Captain Marvel had brilliant storytelling by two very good filmmakers, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck.

I'm looking forward to a space based Captain Marvel story where the origin is out of the way. If rumors are true that Korvac will be in the movie and that he and Carol will have some kind of relationship, that could be very interesting. Especially for future implications. If Nick Fury is in the movie, that will be another chance for timely references and give us a little more back story to the salty Nick Fury we're all familiar with. My guess is that this prequel will be set a few years from CM, maybe half-way between that movie and Iron Man?

They were just nostalgia. The 90's references of Blockbuster, the music, etc were not integral to the story whatsoever. Earth's bad tech is good enough to transmit signals by some BS alien hacking device, but not good enough to maintain communication? Self-contradiction in-movie right there (one of many very poorly constructed events).

How are they gonna do a prequel with her new butch cut..? It's a bad idea, and Feige doesn't have many of those, so I doubt it's gonna happen. I won't be seeing it if it does.

The storytelling in CM was not brilliant whatsoever, either. "Muzzle OP McGuffin byproduct" is not character development or good storytelling. It's a crutch. They should not have made her a Stone byproduct or OP. Just as lame as Scarlet Witch and she didn't get her own movie.

Infinity Saga is over. Everything pre-2023 should be off-limits. I don't care about the Thanos Era anymore. Onto the future or GTFO.

13 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

How are they gonna do a prequel with her new butch cut..? It's a bad idea, and Feige doesn't have many of those, so I doubt it's gonna happen. I won't be seeing it if it does.

Brie Larson doesn't have a "butch cut" and they haven't started filming the sequel yet. Carol's new short hairdo in Endgame is from 5 years in the future. Pretty sure she'll have long hair in CM2 just like she did when she shows up in the present in Captain Marvel's mid-credits scene. But who cares about her hair? Maybe they'll give her a mullet.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Brie Larson doesn't have a "butch cut" and they haven't started filming the sequel yet. Carol's new short hairdo in Endgame is from 5 years in the future. Pretty sure she'll have long hair in CM2 just like she did when she shows up in the present in Captain Marvel's mid-credits scene. But who cares about her hair? Maybe they'll give her a mullet.

Oh, sorry, she has a "let me speak to your manager" cut. My bad.