• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Just now, Oddball said:

Brie Larson can act so I don’t know why she had that cardboard personality in CM. For me she just wasn’t directed properly. I know the movie worked for the masses so the director got it right in that regard.

I wouldn't be sure about that. It made money off the coattails of Infinity War. It's kinda average by critical response and fairly divisive among audience response. I personally think it's about as mediocre as you can get. It's a failure as a Phase 3 MCU film. It would've worked in the early-game building blocks. Retroactively connecting her to Nick Fury, and the Tesseract, and naming 'The Avengers Initiative', and connecting the film to GOTG by way of Ronan, just doesn't do anything for me.

The only original content that was 'cool' was twisting the Kree/Skrull war. Act 3 was super boring.

Well I joined Disney Plus the day it came out. Have watched Captain Marvel there 4 times so far and will be watching it again and again. It is just what I needed to get myself back into MCU movies. The later ones sometimes took themselves too seriously. It brought me in mind of THE AVENGERS, which for me it was the best superhero movie to date, and much of that had to do with the humor and lightness. I felt the same with the humor and lightness in Captain Marvel. Can I see the "flaws"? Of course. But to me they are minor and far exceeded by the sheer enjoyment I get watching it.

So THERE! :preach:

I watched it for the first time 2 weeks ago, it had its moments but ultimately forgettable. Like IM2&3, Age of Ultron, Hulk, Thor 2, both Ant-Mans and Doctor Strange.... I wouldn't watch it again.

It is very interesting when you see such a differing opinion within just one post of each other how these films land with an individual. Whether it is DC, Marvel or any other franchise.

There was something with this one, though, that seems like people loved it or they felt like it was just okay. Not sure why as the final answer. I find it interesting.

58 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It is very interesting when you see such a differing opinion within just one post of each other how these films land with an individual. Whether it is DC, Marvel or any other franchise.

There was something with this one, though, that seems like people loved it or they felt like it was just okay. Not sure why as the final answer. I find it interesting.

I thought it was better than Aquaman :baiting:

7 hours ago, bane said:

I watched it for the first time 2 weeks ago, it had its moments but ultimately forgettable. Like IM2&3, Age of Ultron, Hulk, Thor 2, both Ant-Mans and Doctor Strange.... I wouldn't watch it again.

And yet you saw Ready Player One twice!

I didn't see RPO.

I don't watch movies; but, I read books.

I read RPO because I make an effort to read contemporary pop-fiction, I'm  all '80', all the time, and because delekkesteresstkke gushed over it in the WC, some years ago.

Geez, Gene, what a waste of my day.  

58 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

I didn't see RPO.

I don't watch movies; but, I read books.

I read RPO because I make an effort to read contemporary pop-fiction, I'm  all '80', all the time, and because delekkesteresstkke gushed over it in the WC, some years ago.

Geez, Gene, what a waste of my day.  

Okay, Boomer.

:baiting:

On 12/12/2019 at 1:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

Estrogen. Just the right amount of estrogen confuses many a testosteroner.

Edited by PovertyRow
typo

On 12/12/2019 at 4:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

Ahhh, as we approach 2019’s end, lets look back at the year that was...

As many of us know, “some” judgement on the Captain Marvel movie was made before it came out in March and was made for reasons other than the actual quality of the movie. Her comic book was already the subject of  hate from the  ComicsGhate crowd who accused it of forced diversity by Marvel. Then when Brie made her comments about wanting more diverse voices in film criticism, the Captain Marvel war was on. 

I also think Captain Marvel, for a lot of the haters, threatened the male-centric world of their beloved MCU. Introducing Ant-Man and Dr Strange as major players in the Infinity Saga was natural, but introducing Carol Danvers was a “shoehorn.” 

The actual movie arrives and, instead of it driving some hardcore message of man-hate down our collective  throats, it turns out to be just another fun billion-dollar making Marvel movie. 

And that’s how Captain Marvel won 2019.

Of course, the hater fears aren’t completely unfounded. She and Black Panther both heralded a more diverse MCU to come, and Carol Danvers will soon be the leader of the Avengers.

Brie Larson's stupidity is a separate issue from the imposter CM movie being mediocre.

Captain Marvel threatens nothing.

Captain Marvel was boring - not fun.

CM (aka BM) didn't "win" 2019. Most delusional statement of 2019? With Endgame and Joker both being released in 2019...

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Then when Brie made her comments about wanting more diverse voices in film criticism, the Captain Marvel war was on. 

I also think Captain Marvel, for a lot of the haters, threatened the male-centric world of their beloved MCU.

Yes. As I had said: "Just the right amount of estrogen confuses many a testosteroner." :bigsmile:

I think in the end It was a low tier marvel movie that was tied to the marvel grand finale “Endgame” so it did very well in the box office. It was better than Ironman2, Thor 2, and Norton Hulk. It was below everything else to date in all phases.
Like all Marvel movies, it was fun and diverting. Some people loved it, some hated it. It’s the first or second lowest professionally reviewed MCU film. It seems fans were just lukewarm to it content wise but still liked it because it was MCU. 

15 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I think in the end It was a low tier marvel movie that was tied to the marvel grand finale “Endgame” so it did very well in the box office. It was better than Ironman2, Thor 2, and Norton Hulk. It was below everything else to date in all phases.
Like all Marvel movies, it was fun and diverting. Some people loved it, some hated it. It’s the first or second lowest professionally reviewed MCU film. It seems fans were just lukewarm to it content wise but still liked it because it was MCU. 

And Endgame wouldn’t have done so well if It wasn’t a sequel to Infinity War and Far From Home wouldn’t have been the first billion dollar Spidey movie if it wasn’t tied so close to Endgame and that first Avengers flick wouldn’t have made anything if it wasn’t tied to Iron Man. Hmm I wonder if there’s some kind of ingenious box office strategy Marvel is pulling on us here? Except Ant Man and the Wasp which tied in to Infinity War and Endgame but nobody saw anyway. I wonder what it’s excuse was?

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And Endgame wouldn’t have done so well if It wasn’t a sequel to Infinity War and Far From Home wouldn’t have been the first billion dollar Spidey movie if it wasn’t tied so close to Endgame and that first Avengers flick wouldn’t have made anything if it wasn’t tied to Iron Man. Hmm I wonder if there’s some kind of ingenious box office strategy Marvel is pulling on us here? Except Ant Man and the Wasp which tied in to Infinity War and Endgame but nobody saw anyway. I wonder what it’s excuse was?

Not every film needs to be one billion dollars or bust.

Ant-Man films are fun and bring the action. And, definitely profitable. The sequel even made more money, but made less revenue compared to the budget because it cost more.

DC_MCU_BO191214c.thumb.PNG.b005a2af29f86f23a6320c069f5da354.PNG