• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Is this what the CM hater's do to bide their time until Rise of Skywalker come out and y'all pivot back to piling on the hate for Rey, and the rest of the cast? You guys have your fake reviews already penned for a movie you haven't seen? Time's a wastin'....just a few days left. :foryou:

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

1 hour ago, DiamondCityComics said:

I just watched it and my god it would have been a lot better if Captain Marvel was a man!!  Does anyone else agree? 

Not me. By God I want to see MORE women-as-heroes leads in these movies! And I stick by my assessment that CM was tons of fun, and far more watchable than many MCU entries.

3 hours ago, DiamondCityComics said:

Where I live you have to travel  by donkey for 30 miles to to get here so this is a new release in the theater . I just watched it and my god it would have been a lot better if Captain Marvel was a man!!  Does anyone else agree? 

???

There are many things that could have improved the movie, but I don't see how a gender swap would be one of them.

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Except Ant Man and the Wasp which tied in to Infinity War and Endgame but nobody saw anyway. I wonder what it’s excuse was?

Did it really? The timing wasn't the same as Captain Marvel's, nor was there a connection to the post-credits scene from part 1 of what the MCU had been building up to for years.

Of course everything in the MCU is connected in some way, but some connections are much more direct and stronger than others.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:23 AM, DiamondCityComics said:

Where I live you have to travel  by donkey for 30 miles to to get here so this is a new release in the theater . I just watched it and my god it would have been a lot better if Captain Marvel was a man!!  Does anyone else agree? 

Good lord, do you live in Sub-Saharan Africa? I won't spoil the ending of Endgame for you when it releases in your neighborhood next month, then.

The logical speculation here in America leading up to Captain Marvel movie was that Jude Law would play Mar-Vell aka Captain Marvel and be the benevolent Kree mentor to Carol Danvers. The twist we got in the actual movie was far more interesting and an improvement on the comic books, in my opinion. Of course, with the exception of Spider-Man, most of the MCU movies are an improvement and an ultimate evolution over their comic book counterparts.

If you're saying the Captain Marvel movie should have starred a young male Mar Vell instead of Carol Danvers, well then that's just a big NO. "Yes, let's make another key MCU character a blonde dude."

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 12/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Good lord, do you live in Sub-Saharan Africa? I won't spoil the ending of Endgame for you when it releases in your neighborhood next month, then.

The logical speculation here in America leading up to Captain Marvel movie was that Jude Law would play Mar-Vell aka Captain Marvel and be the benevolent Kree mentor to Carol Danvers. The twist we got in the actual movie was far more interesting and an improvement on the comic books, in my opinion. Of course, with the exception of Spider-Man, most of the MCU movies are an improvement and an ultimate evolution over their comic book counterparts.

If you're saying the Captain Marvel movie should have starred a young male Mar Vell instead of Carol Danvers, well then that's just a big NO. "Yes, let's make another key MCU character a blonde dude."

I was trolling the CM haters.  

On 12/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

whosaid_cptmarvel.gif.b40a346b89134835351f7bf465b538c7.gif

You keep a template of these responses ready for use, don't you? :baiting:

25 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:

I was trolling the CM haters.  

Yes, I will poke back.  CM was a 5 out of 10 (so not pure hatred), and she was the weakest part of her own movie. It is the bottom 1/3 rd of the MCU, AoU is the worst of the bunch for me, and I put Ironman 2 and 3, and Thor Dark World below CM.

50 minutes ago, drotto said:

Yes, I will poke back.  CM was a 5 out of 10 (so not pure hatred), and she was the weakest part of her own movie. It is the bottom 1/3 rd of the MCU, AoU is the worst of the bunch for me, and I put Ironman 2 and 3, and Thor Dark World below CM.

Look, with Avengers Infinity War in the rearview mirror and Endgame on the horizon, the Captain Marvel movie was, by design, not meant to be some deep emotional catharsis movie like Black Panther or Winter Soldier. It was designed to be fun and as an introduction of the character, not just for diehard MCU fans, but for all ages. It was important that parents be able to take their young daughters to see this movie. And in light of the dark events of Avengers 3 and 4, that the movie took place in the past during a more innocent time was also important.

But you don't hire Brie Larson just because you want to keep things light. She won an Oscar for "Room." I have a feeling the Captain Marvel sequel will be a darker movie than what we're expecting.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Look, with Avengers Infinity War in the rearview mirror and Endgame on the horizon, the Captain Marvel movie was, by design, not meant to be some deep emotional catharsis movie like Black Panther or Winter Soldier. It was designed to be fun and as an introduction of the character, not just for diehard MCU fans, but for all ages.

And anybody who came out of Captain Marvel not thinking the movie was at least fun went in to the movie with an indomitable poor attitude.

Upon reflecting on this film well after its release, it was just a blah film.

I love Captain Marvel. His whole initial run is a mix of corny fun that evolves with Starlin's work on it. So for me, it was a bit of letdown that this film didn't have a bigger impact on the MCU. I thought Captain Marvel was gonna be set up to be a difference maker and that was not the case. I wish someone could have done a bit more with this character at this point because I feel like her origin is where you could have set up something great. Now, she just seems like a residual character who can show up and help rather than a character who can support more films. And hey, maybe that's fine. Does every Marvel movei character need a solo movie or spin off show? 

And I agree that this was one of Marvel's worst in the existing 22 or however many MCU films we have seen. I did not like Dark World or Iron Man 2 or 3 either. A couple others have been just eh, this included. Hulk was eh. Dr. Strange was pretty eh for me, even with some interesting visual aspects. Age of Ultron was eh...a wasted opportunity on a great character IMO. Everything else has been good or very good or freakin great!

22 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And anybody who came out of Captain Marvel not thinking the movie was at least fun went in to the movie with an indomitable poor attitude.

I don’t watch movies I’m not interested in generally. Was looking forward to it with my daughters ages 15 and 12 and neither of them even remember it. It was that forgettable. They are still talking about Infinity War.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Look, with Avengers Infinity War in the rearview mirror and Endgame on the horizon, the Captain Marvel movie was, by design, not meant to be some deep emotional catharsis movie like Black Panther or Winter Soldier. It was designed to be fun and as an introduction of the character, not just for diehard MCU fans, but for all ages. It was important that parents be able to take their young daughters to see this movie. And in light of the dark events of Avengers 3 and 4, that the movie took place in the past during a more innocent time was also important.

But you don't hire Brie Larson just because you want to keep things light. She won an Oscar for "Room." I have a feeling the Captain Marvel sequel will be a darker movie than what we're expecting.

I saw room before CM, and without even knowing who Brie Larson was, I did not like that film very much either it was just meh for me. Not a bad film felt she was very good in the role, it just did nothing for me.

I can tell you my wife and daughter did not care for CM either, and my wife is even harsher on the film than I am.  People are trying to read much more into the importance into that movie than it deserves,  I am just stating my person opinion.  Wonder Woman deserves all the credit it gets and then some (admittingly the 3rd act was weak), again in my oppinion. I loved that movie, and can't wait for the sequel.

1 hour ago, Oddball said:

I don’t watch movies I’m not interested in generally. Was looking forward to it with my daughters ages 15 and 12 and neither of them even remember it. It was that forgettable. They are still talking about Infinity War.

Hmm, what’s more memorable: a light-hearted MCU origin movie with a cat mascot or an MCU epic where franchises merge and half of everyone including Spider-Man dies? That’s a little unfair to compare the two on equal footing, isn’t it?

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Hmm, what’s more memorable: a light-hearted MCU origin movie with a cat mascot or an MCU epic where franchises merge and half of everyone including Spider-Man dies? That’s a little unfair to compare the two on equal footing, isn’t it?

Not comparing the two movies at all. Just stating it fell off my daughters radar. Not memorable.  

16 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Upon reflecting on this film well after its release, it was just a blah film.

I love Captain Marvel. His whole initial run is a mix of corny fun that evolves with Starlin's work on it. So for me, it was a bit of letdown that this film didn't have a bigger impact on the MCU. I thought Captain Marvel was gonna be set up to be a difference maker and that was not the case. I wish someone could have done a bit more with this character at this point because I feel like her origin is where you could have set up something great. Now, she just seems like a residual character who can show up and help rather than a character who can support more films. And hey, maybe that's fine. Does every Marvel movei character need a solo movie or spin off show? 

And I agree that this was one of Marvel's worst in the existing 22 or however many MCU films we have seen. I did not like Dark World or Iron Man 2 or 3 either. A couple others have been just eh, this included. Hulk was eh. Dr. Strange was pretty eh for me, even with some interesting visual aspects. Age of Ultron was eh...a wasted opportunity on a great character IMO. Everything else has been good or very good or freakin great!

As Hulk proves - no.

Some exposition by Fury would've covered her entire film in a couple minutes.