• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2019 at 2:47 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Upon reflecting on this film well after its release, it was just a blah film.

I love Captain Marvel. His whole initial run is a mix of corny fun that evolves with Starlin's work on it. So for me, it was a bit of letdown that this film didn't have a bigger impact on the MCU. I thought Captain Marvel was gonna be set up to be a difference maker and that was not the case. I wish someone could have done a bit more with this character at this point because I feel like her origin is where you could have set up something great. Now, she just seems like a residual character who can show up and help rather than a character who can support more films. And hey, maybe that's fine. Does every Marvel movei character need a solo movie or spin off show? 

It seems so many MCU fans want everything now, now, now! Give me X-Men and FF now! Give me Adam Warlock now! When in reality, Kevin Feige and Co. are playing the long game with this universe. It took ten years to get from Iron Man to Endgame and the storytelling has been near perfect in my opinion. At least it’s worked for most of the world, anyway. And it’s been a great business model. Patience leads to longevity.

You say in reflection that you wanted Captain Marvel to be a more impactful film on the MCU. But if you think of where Captain Marvel was released, between Infinity War and Endgame, any MCU changing events would have distracted from the real concern of fans, Thanos’s snap and what happens next. Nobody would have cared if Captain Marvel introduced universe shaking events and it would have been poor storytelling with respect to the larger Infinity Stones Saga reaching its conclusion. What most MCU fans wanted to know with CM was who was this mysterious new character that seemed to be Nick Fury’s “Ace in the sleeve” and how would she affect the Endgame? With CM, we learned who she was and with Endgame, we learned her effect on the Infinity Saga. Carol Danvers herself was the MCU shaking event introduced in CM. And indeed, she proved to be the X-factor, along with Scott Lang, in the Endgame. While Carol didn’t contribute to the human drama in Avengers IV, she saved Tony Stark when nobody else could, she destroyed Thanos’ mothership in the final battle, she prevented Thanos from snapping again, and provided enough distraction for Stark to pull his one last move that saved the universe. Fury’s Ace in the sleeve worked. 

Most of the MCU origin movies don’t necessarily introduce ground shaking events anyway. For instance, it wasn’t until Winter Soldier that Captain America’s movies began to impact the MCU as a whole.

And yet, perhaps Captain Marvel did introduce elements that will impact the greater MCU. The Kree-Skrull Conflict was introduced, after all. There are rumors of a Secret Invasion storyline but with Kree cells on Earth instead. At the end of  Far From Home, are the Skrulls part of SWORD? Brie Larson has a lot of movies left on her contract. As we progress through Phase Five, I’m sure the newer Avengers like Carol Danvers, T’Challa, and Scott Lang will take more prominent roles and their sequel movies be more impactful to the greater MCU.

On 12/25/2019 at 12:56 PM, musicmeta said:

All I know is that I'm greatly looking forward to the next Captain Marvel movie! 

I can’t say I’m looking forward to it based on their last effort but will see it in the theater if they get any other director to make it. I’ve never even heard of the pair that directed CM. 

13 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Gosh, can we find any more "I hate Brie Larson and Captain Marvel" YouTube Comicsgate hater troll videos on the internets today? I've noticed they're all starting to come out of their holes again slowly. Must be spawning season.

Gosh, can you dig up any more 'I blindly worship this film while assuming anyone else that didn't appreciate this film hates female-led productions'?

Play that game with someone else, sport. I am a fanatic over female-led films. This one didn't work for me.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

Gosh, can you dig up any more 'I blindly worship this film while assuming anyone else that didn't appreciate this film hates female-led productions'?

Play that game with someone else, sport. I am a fanatic over female-led films. This one didn't work for me.

The first 2 hours of Wonder Woman are phenomenal.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:19 AM, Bosco685 said:

I am a fanatic over female-led films. This one didn't work for me.

I am as well since Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamilton in Alien and Terminator. The fact they went on to create the greatest action sequels ever to those movies didn’t hurt.

Today, I’m completely taken by Watchmen with Regina King as lead. This show has set the bar high.

12 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Carol Danvers is the future of the MCU. We’ll be discussing her for the next decade. And story elements from this movie, like Skrulls and Kree and such, will become a bigger factor in the MCU.

I appreciate you connected with this film stronger than the average movie-goer. Nobody should try to take that away from you.

But with all the characters now active or planned within the MCU, I don't think any stand out yet as the Tony Stark replacement. Though a crazy idea could be a Deadpool jumping from film to film with brief appearances, tying it all together in a funny way.

The Kree/Skrull Wars as an intergalactic focus could be the case. Especially with seeing that Fury credits scene. But then again now with the more consolidated Marvel Universe, anything is possible. Including Galactus, Super-Skrull, Annihilus, Doctor Doom, Terminus, Mephisto or all of the above. Skies the limit.

56 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I appreciate you connected with this film stronger than the average movie-goer. Nobody should try to take that away from you.

But with all the characters now active or planned within the MCU, I don't think any stand out yet as the Tony Stark replacement. Though a crazy idea could be a Deadpool jumping from film to film with brief appearances, tying it all together in a funny way.

The Kree/Skrull Wars as an intergalactic focus could be the case. Especially with seeing that Fury credits scene. But then again now with the more consolidated Marvel Universe, anything is possible. Including Galactus, Super-Skrull, Annihilus, Doctor Doom, Terminus, Mephisto or all of the above. Skies the limit.

First, average moviegoers mostly liked Captain Marvel. Social agendas aside, it was some hardcore fans who wanted their MCU one way or another who didn’t like the film.

Yes, the sky’s the limit with the MCU, but the arrows are pointing towards Carol Danvers being at its center both story wise and in merchandising. Kevin Feige said as much a couple years ago. In the comics, we’re starting to see more Kree-Skrull-centric storylines such as Incoming and Empyre aka Captain Marvel territory. There are rumors of similar story elements coming to the MCU. In real life, has Disney made Elizabeth Olsen or ScarJo a guest host on Jimmy Kimmel or appear in Bear Gryllis’ Man vs Wild? Nope, it was Brie Larson. In a few years, as we walk the aisles of Target or whatever, expect to see Avengers birthday plates and backpacks with Captain Marvel positioned where Captain America or Iron Man used to be. Maybe the occasional juxtaposition with Spider-Man.