• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

No clue who Brie Larson is, but as long as there is a movie to pump up the prices on the MSH #13s and Ms. Marvel #1s/Captain Marvel #1s I have it will all be fine. lol

My one true crush. :luhv:

You're not doing it right.

Anyone else find it dumb that the CNN article covering this had the title of "SHAZAM!" when announcing Brie Larson getting the starring role? SHAZAM is of course tied to DC's Captain Marvel.

Seems like some reporter just did a quick google search and ran with it.

DC's Captain Marvel is the original Captain Marvel. Maybe it was a form of protest ;)

It's fine given that the two characters are so famously tied together after Marvel filed the trademark on the name after DC let it lapse after first suing Fawcett for Captain Marvel being so similar to Superman and then later acquiring Fawcett's characters. The only reason they ever named him Shazam is because DC forgot to re-file the trademark during the post-lawsuit period when they weren't using the character.

Yep, that was a bit of an oversight!

jUHmk3k.jpg

somebody mail her the Trades for everything from before that series as well as new avengers, and burn everything after that one.

Carol looks like this:

208300-153341-ms-marvel.jpg

and absolutely not like this:

tumblr_nr1lpxUoWQ1u4fqkro1_500.png

They better not

CAPTAIN MARVEL Writer Says Origin Story Will Be Changed Due To GREEN LANTERN Similarities

Perlman disclosed that how Danvers acquires her abilities will differ from the "Kree radiation" origin of the '60s. Caught in a blast from an exploding Kree machine, the Kree warrior Mar-Vell saves Danvers' life by shielding her with his body only for the subsequent radiation to transfuse his Kree physiology into Danvers, giving her his superhuman abilities. In short, an alien comes to Earth and through extenuating circumstances, passes his abilities on to an unassuming human. At face value, that's pretty similar to the origin story for Green Lantern Hal Jordan.

"I don’t think I’ve ever had a project where I’ve been more mindful about the impact that it could have and the importance of it. She’s such an incredibly kick- character and Kelly Sue DeConnick did a great run with her story arc recently. But here’s the thing, if you were just going to do a straight adaptation of the comics, her origin story is very similar to Green Lantern. And obviously, that’s not what we want to do. There’s a lot of reinvention that needs to happen. And also, she’s her own person and she’s a great character. We have to be aware of what’s happened in other Marvel film and makes sure that her particular storyline is unique and fun and also fits in within this world that’s going on at the same time. It’s a little bit of an interesting story gauntlet. It’s been good to have a partner. It’s been an incredible experience. If we can pull it off it could be an incredibly important but also really fun and kick- superhero film.”

Don't know if it will be Iron Man, but they're looking to connect her to the MCU in a more specific way, that's for sure. I don't buy the 'Green Lantern' angle -- seems like a lame excuse to re-work the material. I would have never have made that connection.

I'm betting Rocket Racoon makes her gear! He's just like Stark anyway -- the snarky tech wizard.

Dan

No clue who Brie Larson is, but as long as there is a movie to pump up the prices on the MSH #13s and Ms. Marvel #1s/Captain Marvel #1s I have it will all be fine. lol

Required viewing for Brie Larson:

1) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

2) The League, Season 3, Episodes 3-4 (it's on Netflix - she's "The Au Pair")

3) Room - her Academy Award-winning role, deservedly so

Director short list revealed:

The Hollywood Reporter brings word of a director shortlist for Marvel Studios’ upcoming Captain Marvel. Among the names said to be up for the Captain Marvel director chair include Niki Caro (director of Whale Rider and Walt Disney Pictures’ McFarland, USA), Lesli Linka Glatter (primarily a director of television with episodes of The Walking Dead and Homeland under her belt), and Lorene Scafaria (director of The Meddler and Seeking a Friend for the End of the World). The trade notes that it may still be some time before Marvel makes a decision on who will finally helm the long-awaited movie.

Little is known regarding Marvel’s specific plans for Captain Marvel outside of the fact that the film will feature the Carol Danvers version of the character, set to be played by Brie Larson. It was confirmed last year that a Captain Marvel cameo was, at one point, part of the -script for Joss Whedon’s Avengers: Age of Ultron. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige explained that the decision was ultimately made not to rush her appearance.

It was also recently reported that Captain Marvel will make her debut in Joe and Anthony Russo’s Avengers: Infinity War, which is set to begin production in November. Infinity War is scheduled to hit the big screen May 4, 2018, with its sequel following on May 3, 2019. Between those two films, however, is when the solo Captain Marvel film is scheduled to arrive, specifically on March 8, 2019. Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Meg LeFauve (Inside Out) are scripting the feature.

Read more at http://www.superherohype.com/news/380681-captain-marvel-director-shortlist-revealed#o2GmQ3Td45M53D5D.99

So there seems to be a pattern starting and I find it a little strange. It seems the directors are being chosen because of gender and/or ethnicity. Between this movie and Wonder Woman, the directors on the short lists have all been women. So do men no longer understand or know how to direct a woman in a movie? For Black Panther, the short list all consisted of black directors. So how come Man of Steel was not directed by an alien or a Batman movie directed by a billionaire whose parents were murdered?

So there seems to be a pattern starting and I find it a little strange. It seems the directors are being chosen because of gender and/or ethnicity. Between this movie and Wonder Woman, the directors on the short lists have all been women. So do men no longer understand or know how to direct a woman in a movie? For Black Panther, the short list all consisted of black directors. So how come Man of Steel was not directed by an alien or a Batman movie directed by a billionaire whose parents were murdered?

:o

:ohnoez:

The Hollywood Reporter brings word of a director shortlist for Marvel Studios’ upcoming Captain Marvel. Among the names said to be up for the Captain Marvel director chair include Niki Caro (director of Whale Rider and Walt Disney Pictures’ McFarland, USA), Lesli Linka Glatter (primarily a director of television with episodes of The Walking Dead and Homeland under her belt), and Lorene Scafaria (director of The Meddler and Seeking a Friend for the End of the World). The trade notes that it may still be some time before Marvel makes a decision on who will finally helm the long-awaited movie.

Little is known regarding Marvel’s specific plans for Captain Marvel outside of the fact that the film will feature the Carol Danvers version of the character, set to be played by Brie Larson. It was confirmed last year that a Captain Marvel cameo was, at one point, part of the -script for Joss Whedon’s Avengers: Age of Ultron. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige explained that the decision was ultimately made not to rush her appearance.

It was also recently reported that Captain Marvel will make her debut in Joe and Anthony Russo’s Avengers: Infinity War, which is set to begin production in November. Infinity War is scheduled to hit the big screen May 4, 2018, with its sequel following on May 3, 2019. Between those two films, however, is when the solo Captain Marvel film is scheduled to arrive, specifically on March 8, 2019. Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Meg LeFauve (Inside Out) are scripting the feature.

Read more at http://www.superherohype.com/news/380681-captain-marvel-director-shortlist-revealed#o2GmQ3Td45M53D5D.99

i don't even think you realize how stupid you are sometimes.

Actually these are very logical questions...my girlfriend is using them on her Sociology students this semester. I don't even think you realize the point of the questions if you are calling me stupid.

Another Potential CAPTAIN MARVEL Director Surfaces

Rebecca_Thomas_CAptain_MArvel.jpg

According to Mashable's Jeff Sneider, there's another contender to help Captain Marvel for Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios. Rebecca Thomas, best known for directing 2012's Electrick Children, a surreal indie drama about, "a young Mormon girl living in an isolated compound who listens to music for the first time and believes she's become pregnant and must find the father of her miracle baby."

Thomas seems to be a coveted up-and-comer as she's also attached to Universal's live-action Little Mermaid film starring Chloë Grace Moretz.

The Hollywood Reporter brings word of a director shortlist for Marvel Studios upcoming Captain Marvel. Among the names said to be up for the Captain Marvel director chair include Niki Caro (director of Whale Rider and Walt Disney Pictures McFarland, USA), Lesli Linka Glatter (primarily a director of television with episodes of The Walking Dead and Homeland under her belt), and Lorene Scafaria (director of The Meddler and Seeking a Friend for the End of the World). The trade notes that it may still be some time before Marvel makes a decision on who will finally helm the long-awaited movie.

Little is known regarding Marvels specific plans for Captain Marvel outside of the fact that the film will feature the Carol Danvers version of the character, set to be played by Brie Larson. It was confirmed last year that a Captain Marvel cameo was, at one point, part of the -script for Joss Whedons Avengers: Age of Ultron. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige explained that the decision was ultimately made not to rush her appearance.

It was also recently reported that Captain Marvel will make her debut in Joe and Anthony Russos Avengers: Infinity War, which is set to begin production in November. Infinity War is scheduled to hit the big screen May 4, 2018, with its sequel following on May 3, 2019. Between those two films, however, is when the solo Captain Marvel film is scheduled to arrive, specifically on March 8, 2019. Nicole Perlman (Guardians of the Galaxy) and Meg LeFauve (Inside Out) are scripting the feature.

Actually these are very logical questions...my girlfriend is using them on her Sociology students this semester. I don't even think you realize the point of the questions if you are calling me stupid.

I agree, I think they're worthwhile questions to ask.

Traditionally, minorities have been underrepresented, especially as directors. And on the one hand its great to make more movies about minorities and women, and have directors that come from traditionally underrepresented classes. But there is a concern that this may result in a moral licensing or credit situation where "Oh we considered only black directors for the 'black movie', so its ok if we only consider white directors for the next captain America, and for the next eight non-black avengers movies"

"There's no race issue here, we considered 5 black and 5 women directors for marvel movies this year." Well were they all in a 'black' movie and a 'female' movie?

Yes its good to get exposure and opportunites for good directors of any race or gender, but at some point wouldn't we rather have it 'race/gender' blind to some extent? especially for movies where race/gender doesn't play a factor in that type of movie? And what's the best way to move towards that?

I'm not saying there's easy answers or one way is right vs another, but just that I think its worth a discussion

Is it a given it`s Carol Danvers? It could be Kamala Khan.

KamalaKhan.jpg

From a business perspective if I am Marvel I pick Khan over Danvers.

given her back story (and i had to look her up) wouldn't she be better suited for Agents of Shield?

There must be some plans for her. Though we already know in the Marvel Studios' Universe there will be a Carol Danvers.

Ms. Marvel's On-Screen Future Teased By Joe Quesada

Quesada explained. According to him, comic book readers act as a litmus test that tells Marvel which of their characters and stories are doing well. So, naturally, Quesada referenced Ms. Marvel’s meteoric rise.

“They [readers] tell us something is resonating, something is hitting a core, and that’s something we should try to cultivate,” he said. “Another great example of this: Ms. Marvel. If we had put this book out ten years ago, it probably would never have succeeded. Not only did we find the audience, but we had the right people on the book and we had the right editor on the book, the right creators on the book. And now we have a character that’s very recognizable — very, very quickly. That doesn’t happen a lot.”

Quesada then went on to say, “Who knows where Ms. Marvel’s going to end up. You can be sure that, somewhere down the road, she will be a part of the future of Marvel in other media.”