• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

That logic is idiotic.

Following it, you'd eliminate not just Black Widow and Hawkeye, but also Falcon, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Nick Fury, and Winter Soldier -- similarly under-powered heroes who are basically useless in space and/or on a cosmic level.

You all touched on the basic uselessness of Star Lord (who is, albeit, half-God) and Rocket earlier.

Big picture?

There are *many* compelling stories yet to be told in the Marvel universe, both earth-bound and cosmic.

And knocking out those who few non- or under-powered ones because they may not be suited for say...battle on Mars.

Also - Natasha's already proven the value of her psychological spy skills in the first Avengers film, both in first bringing in Banner, and later in tricking Loki.

Yeah, Falcon and Fury aren't special. The others are, though, so I don't see how you come to the conclusion that they're equal to the weak ones. White Wolf is borderline useful only because he's Cap + a vibranium arm.

Her skills were useful in The Avengers, yet. Now that the universe has expanded with greatly powerful villains and heroes? Not so much.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

That's purely conjecture. There's no evidence to support this.

Coulson being able to "override" JARVIS in The Avengers is a matter of computer programming and nothing else. Claiming that SHIELD somehow knows what JARVIS even is is more conjecture. JARVIS is simply a program that knows how to program. A human that knows how to program is 99.99% more likely to successfully control an engineered electrical device such as a phone or elevator. "It's science".

No, I think that you're missing the entire point. That is that Gamora is a superior physical specimen, and not a "weak" character in the cosmic MCU. Barton and Romanoff are the weakest "hero" characters that rely on human psychology to even have a purpose. Outside of Earth - they're basically useless. Gamora is useful to the Guardians and the Avengers because of her ability to traverse and succeed among much more than 1 planet in the galaxy. She already has that function does not need to adapt to be useful outside of Earth. She's not a "weak one".

The only way the weak ones are going to survive Endgame is probably because of the Iron Man and Ant-Man technologies. Not based on purely their own merits. Which is why they're weak and IMO need to go.

Tony Stark is considered one of the smartest individuals in the MCU due to the lack of Reed Richards (to be fixed soon). So to assume a program he created to operate and protect his home and offices is that simple it can be overridden so easily is really stretching the bounds of in-universe reality. 

MCU Wiki: J.A.R.V.I.S.

Just A Rather Very Intelligent System (J.A.R.V.I.S.) was originally Tony Stark's natural-language user interface computer system, named after Edwin Jarvis, the butler who worked for Howard Stark.

Over time, he was upgraded into an artificially intelligent system, tasked with running business for Stark Industries as well as security for Tony Stark's Mansion and Stark Tower. After creating the Mark II armor, Stark uploaded J.A.R.V.I.S. into all of the Iron Man Armors, as well as allowing him to interact with the other Avengers, giving them valuable information during combat. During the Ultron Offensive, J.A.R.V.I.S. was destroyed by Ultron, although his remaining programming codes unknowingly continued to thwart Ultron's plans of gaining access to nuclear missiles. His remains were found by Stark, who uploaded them into a synthetic body made of vibranium and, in conjunction with Ultron's personality and an Infinity Stone, an entirely new being was made: Vision. J.A.R.V.I.S.' duties were then taken over by F.R.I.D.A.Y.

Think about that. Tony Stark extended the scope of what this software is meant to accomplish as an AI, and your assumption is overriding JARVIS is just computer programming and nothing else? That, to me, is very much ignoring the facts associated with the intent of the program and who designed it.

Your thoughts on the lower-powered members is so immersed in close-minded thinking, touching on that will get us nowhere.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Tony Stark is considered one of the smartest individuals in the MCU due to the lack of Reed Richards (to be fixed soon). So to assume a program he created to operate and protect his home and offices is that simple it can be overridden so easily is really stretching the bounds of in-universe reality. 

MCU Wiki: J.A.R.V.I.S.

Think about that. Tony Stark extended the scope of what this software is meant to accomplish as an AI, and your assumption is overriding JARVIS is just computer programming and nothing else? That, to me, is very much ignoring the facts associated with the intent of the program and who designed it.

Your thoughts on the lower-powered members is so immersed in close-minded thinking, touching on that will get us nowhere.

I don't even care anymore. Just thought I'd let you know. lol

19 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Saw it this weekend.  All I can say is LOVE the cat (goose)

Goose should battle Rocket Raccoon that be a cool fight.

We will throw in Groot as a referee.

Spoiler

Yeah, I thought Goose was pretty interesting and there is more to him than meets the eye.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

When both Captain Marvel and Aquaman each do over a billion that shows me there is no superheo fatigue like some of the naysayers say.

Pretty cool Black Panther, Aquaman and now Captain Marvel all broke over a billion in a little over a year`s time.

Yes sir these Marvel and DC super heroes are the new rock stars to the world.

They are bigger than the Beatles now.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

When both Captain Marvel and Aquaman each do over a billion that shows me there is no superheo fatigue like some of the naysayers say.

Pretty cool Black Panther, Aquaman and now Captain Marvel all broke over a billion in a little over a year`s time.

Yes sir these Marvel and DC super heroes are the new rock stars to the world.

They are bigger than the Beatles now.

Let's be honest though, if Fury didn't page her in Infinity War, I would doubt that this hits the $1 billion mark on it's individual merit.

It's not a particularly great standalone film - let alone tie-in.

9 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Captain Marvel was easily the most popular costume at WonderCon last weekend.  They were everywhere.

Fellow comic book geeks versus the wider general audience buying up merchandise. Seeing only a few women out of thousands walking around with product this close to a theater run is surprising.

But man, those backpacks were really nice looking. Not something cheap.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Let's be honest though, if Fury didn't page her in Infinity War, I would doubt that this hits the $1 billion mark on it's individual merit.

It's not a particularly great standalone film - let alone tie-in.

Well...and that Marvel *finally* saw fit to give a woman a solo film.

9 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Well...and that Marvel *finally* saw fit to give a woman a solo film.

I know we're all still trying to forget this film, but I wince every time I hear that Captain Marvel is the first Marvel female film.  This one doesn't count just because it's Fox?  Avi Arad and Kevin Feige produced it, so while it's not a Feige-only project and we can mostly attribute it's inferiority to Arad's inability to manage Marvel film projects, Marvel's hands are all over it.

MV5BMTI3MTUwNzM5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzczMDIzMw@@._V1_.jpg

18 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I know we're all still trying to forget this film, but I wince every time I hear that Captain Marvel is the first Marvel female film.  This one doesn't count just because it's Fox?  Avi Arad and Kevin Feige produced it, so while it's not a Feige-only project and we can mostly attribute it's inferiority to Arad's inability to manage Marvel film projects, Marvel's hands are all over it.

There are scenes in this movie that are so fantastic. Like that opening when she takes out Jason Isaacs (Captain Lorca).

But when they started forcing that young girl in the story, it really distracted from the general tale. What a shame, as even Terence Stamp as Stick was such a great casting.

4 hours ago, Drummy said:

Agree with that -- it's a solid, fun movie but its WW total definitely plays into its role in the MCU.  Their brand is so strong that, as they say, 'all boats rise with the tide'.  

And Endgame may be poised to hit close to $300m opening weekend...unbelievable.

Ha ha...try a billion opening weekend, Dummy.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Yeah - I thought about Elektra, of course. But opted not to include because it was pre-2008 and pre-MCU films.

It's not really fair to compare MCU Marvel movies with those that came before and are now part of the canonical connected universe. Plus, had I mentioned Elektra, I figured that's exactly the counterpoint TwoPiece would have made.

As far as we know, Blade, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Punisher War Zone, Daredevil, Elektra, etc. -- to say nothing of five Spider-Man movies, six X-Men films, and three Fantastic Four movies so far -- are non-canonical to the MCU.

13 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - I thought about Elektra, of course. But opted not to include because it was pre-2008 and pre-MCU films.

It's not really fair to compare MCU Marvel movies with those that came before and are now part of the canonical connected universe. Plus, had I mentioned Elektra, I figured that's exactly the counterpoint TwoPiece would have made.

As far as we know, Blade, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Punisher War Zone, Daredevil, Elektra, etc. -- to say nothing of five Spider-Man movies, six X-Men films, and three Fantastic Four movies so far -- are non-canonical to the MCU.

Isn't 'Punisher: War Zone' the oddball where it is produced by Lionsgate, but was under the Marvel Studios umbrella as a first film release? Or is that ignored?

Edited by Bosco685