• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Faster, further, higher or something like that.

Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 11.29.31 PM.png

I picked it up yesterday. On third viewing, CM has moved into my top 12 MCU movies, and other than the last 30 mins or so of Endgame, I enjoyed it more than Endgame.

Edited by Hawkman

2 hours ago, marvelcollector said:

Finally saw this yesterday.

I thought it was very good. One of the better Marvel movies in fact.

I also just saw this, but do not share your opinion. It wasn't bad, but neither was it especially good.

2 hours ago, marvelcollector said:

The humor was unexpected and well played.

Yeah, nothing is more unexpected in an MCU movie than the humor. lol:eyeroll:

51 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, nothing is more unexpected in an MCU movie than the humor. lol:eyeroll:

You expect funny from RDJ, from a Paul Rudd movie, from a James Gunn movie. Nobody was expecting the head Skrull, who we all thought would be a dastardly evil being especially if played by Ben Mendelhson whose portrayal of bad guys is almost cliche now, to be as funny and charming as he was in Captain Marvel. Totally unexpected. It's okay to be in denial about it.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You expect funny from RDJ, from a Paul Rudd movie, from a James Gunn movie. Nobody was expecting the head Skrull, who we all thought would be a dastardly evil being especially if played by Ben Mendelhson whose portrayal of bad guys is almost cliche now, to be as funny and charming as he was in Captain Marvel. Totally unexpected. It's okay to be in denial about it.

In what world do you live that has serious MCU movies that are lacking in misplaced, forced jokes/humor? It may be more expected and prominent in some, but it's always there.

You are right that the Skrulls were not exactly what I expected...

12 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Talos had, what? Maybe 3 funny moments? It's not like he was a walking quippy punchline or anything.

24 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Talos had, what? Maybe 3 funny moments? It's not like he was a walking quippy punchline or anything.

Well, the entire of Ant-Man aside, Talos's maybe three funny moments were some of the funniest ever in a MCU movie. Then throw in some unexpected funny from the usually salty Nicholas Fury, a little more unexpected funny from that Skrull science officer, some unexpected funny from Carol Danvers who we were all promised from the pre-haters would just stare lazily at the camera for two hours, an unexpected funny cameo by that Marvel Studios security guy, mix it all up and Captain Marvel was unexpectedly funnier than what we were expecting.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, the entire of Ant-Man aside, Talos's maybe three funny moments were some of the funniest ever in a MCU movie. Then throw in some unexpected funny from the usually salty Nicholas Fury, a little more unexpected funny from that Skrull science officer, some unexpected funny from Carol Danvers who we were all promised from the pre-haters would just stare lazily at the camera for two hours, an unexpected funny cameo by that Marvel Studios security guy, mix it all up and Captain Marvel was unexpectedly funnier than what we were expecting.

Your grammar is killing me. :pullhair:

Nick Fury has been quipping since The Avengers.

When was Carol Danvers "funny"..?

Also, if anyone was expecting this to not be the same as every other Marvel Studios film, then... Exactly how many MCU films have they even seen? Even the more-somber films like The Winter Soldier and Infinity War were chock-full of humor.

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 8.47.30 AM.png

Does not compute.

Had the same debate with a friend who plays EA NHL. My friend who's an English teacher concurs with me.

I know it's not wrong, per se, but it's the least-correct version and it's grinds my gears.