• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I always liked Ms. Marvel, but I totally understand why people might find her dull.  My hope for this film lies in the comedy -- Coulson and the 90's setting in particular could be hilarious.  We'll see.

Part of what makes the 1st Avengers movie great is the fact that they had the villain dispose of a character that was instrumental in bringing the team together. That was something sorely missing in Age of Ultron. They should have killed off Hawkeye - who brought everyone to his home to recoup - instead of the just-introduced Quicksilver.

Coulson was very witty in a funny way throughout Phase 1. I agree with you that he could definitely be the comedic punch for this movie.

While obviously technically competent, this movie continues to do NOTHING for me.  The storyline looks far too boilerplate, the actress is miscast and has absolutely ZERO charisma (which is why they are seemingly relying on Sam Jackson to do most of the heavy lifting in that department), and the film looks entirely gratuitous and expendable.  

Guess even Marvel can't bat .1000.

-J.

Anyone else here find it harder to watch older mcu movies now knowing what they lead up to?  I find myself not enjoying them as much as i did before the massively deflating IW.  It's sad to me that so many people who didn't know anything about it til the mcu have no idea how much cooler the REAL thing is. 

I'm crazy...-1, I know, I know. 

36 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Anyone else here find it harder to watch older mcu movies now knowing what they lead up to?

Not really. I still find, as an example, the first Iron Man as an enjoyable movie on its own. Or GOTG. Or the first Avengers. 

Some of the others I found somewhat tedious even when they originally came out.

I find myself not enjoying them as much as i did before the massively deflating IW.

hm

It's sad to me that so many people who didn't know anything about it til the mcu have no idea how much cooler the REAL thing is. 

I'm crazy...-1, I know, I know. 

It is? Other than Amazing Spider-man, through about the time McFarlane started drawing it, I wasn't a big fan of many of Marvel's regular books. Never really cared for Iron Man - thought he was a boring character (No offense to IM fans, one of my best friends is a HUGE IM fan). To me, he's more suited to movies than comics. Guardians of the Galaxy couldn't even keep a regular comic series going for decades. Doctor Strange still barely does, and don't even get me started on Ant-Man.

Movies are just a natural progression of growth potential for marketable character rights.

Really when it comes to how much 'cooler' the 'REAL' thing is, generally speaking, whatever period people discover or rediscover comics is usually 'the best' period to them. In general, I wish more people would read ANYTHING other than their smartphone or computer.

Not all that many people discover comics nowadays - or not enough to make them relevant anyway - unless you count the speculators just looking to make a buck off them.

WTF is wrong with everybody?!?!?!  The trailer wasn't that great BUT...

- The costume is perfect...even better than I imagined

- Nick Fury looks great

- The trailer didn't spoil anything

- The mow hawk...perfect

- Skrull...looks like a Skrull (can't really ask for anything else)

- Power level...looks like they are going to stay true to the comic (cosmic level!!!)

There were a lot of fan service (not anime) for comic book lovers to be happy with.  Definitely will see this in the theater.

12 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

It’s exactly what I expected, but I was hoping for something unexpected. With superhero fatigue knocking at the door of the masses, Marvel needs to dazzle...

fatiguing their way to $6.3BB WW this year ($7.5BB if you include Incredibles)

Avengers: Infinity War

BV

$2,047.7

$678.8

33.2%

$1,368.9

66.8%

2 Black Panther BV $1,346.9 $700.1 52.0% $646.9 48.0%
3 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Uni. $1,304.9 $416.8 31.9% $888.2 68.1%
4 Incredibles 2 BV $1,241.1 $608.5 49.0% $632.5 51.0%
5 Venom (2018) Sony $844.0 $212.3 25.2% $631.7 74.8%
6 Mission: Impossible - Fallout Par. $791.0 $220.2 27.8% $570.9 72.2%
7 Deadpool 2 Fox $734.2 $318.5 43.4% $415.8 56.6%
8 Ant-Man and the Wasp BV $622.6 $216.6 34.8% $406.0

65.2%

Edited by paperheart

Yep, two of the biggest superhero movies EVER this year. But really, you can go back even farther than that...

Venom completely shattered expectations, Ant-Man and Wasp beat the original, Deadpool 2 was a hit, Justice League was one of the few disappointments, Thor: Ragnarok was the highest grossing of the 3 Thor films, Spider-man: Homecoming was the best showing since the Raimi films, Wonder Woman was a huge success, GOTG 2 outdid the original, Logan was the most successful of the Wolverine solo movies, Doctor Strange was a hit, and Suicide Squad did 3 quarters of million worldwide! That's all the way back to August of 2016.

I wonder when exactly was this superhero movie fatigue I often hear about...?

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 12.55.45 AM.png