• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Rotten Tomatoes has their audience score up and this movie has a dismal 34% liked it score.  I guess Rotten Tomatoes didn't purge the bad reviews this movie was getting before the movie was even out?  Watch Rotten Tomatoes tweak this review process some more to appease the big studios.

It's getting bot reviewed by the trolls, and just review bombed in general by them, as expected. Captain Marvel is a solid movie. Ignore the trolls unless you subscribe to their poison.

It is clear from reading through some of the reviews, many of these bad reviews are from people who did not even see the movie.  Just the same political b.s. that has been plaguing blockbuster reviews for a while now.  It is too bad Rotten Tomatoes has an influence on some movie goers.  Their system is severely broken and in need of an overhaul.  Including their critic review scores.

Unfortunately, I don't have tickets for this weekend, but I'll be seeing this movie next weekend.  I've always been a fan of Marvel's cosmic characters and I'm looking forward to how they handle the Skrulls.

Edited by rjrjr

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I agree that recency bias is stupid, but also think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who believes, for instance, that:

- Civil War is better than Infinity War; or

Ummm what?  There's definitely an argument for Civil War being as good a film or better than Infinity War.  Those two, plus Winter Soldier, are my top 3 Marvel films.  And which order I place them is largely subject to how I feel that day.  Civil War is a more complete film in that it tells a complete story.  Infinity War is still just "part 1" or a larger whole.  I mean, as a movie about "the villain being the hero of their own story", it's a complete arc, but I can understand those who left the theater leaving incomplete.  Infinity War being the far away better movie isn't as conclusive as you think.

2 hours ago, JazzMan said:

The Stan Lee tribute at the intro was met with thunderous applause in my theater as was his cameo.  Mallrats.  'nuff said

I damn near cried in the movie theater.

Spoiler

One thing i failed to mention in my earlier post...my biggest fear for this movie and this character is the "Superman effect".  I really didn't like that as soon as she realized her powers, she basically became unstoppable.

Edited by ExNihilo

2 hours ago, drotto said:

So does Disney take 3 even 4 years now to go back to more solo style films, or mini team ups, before we get Avengers version 2? 

This would allow them to introduce new characters and teams similar to phase one.  I am just not sure how patient the MCU will be since the team ups are where the really big money is.

It's a good question. Since Feige already called out how with Eternals it is going right into a large team movie, they could do the same with X-Men since so much of the market is familiar with these characters now.

Should be interesting.

2 hours ago, rjrjr said:

It is clear from reading through some of the reviews, many of these bad reviews are from people who did not even see the movie.  Just the same political b.s. that has been plaguing blockbuster reviews for a while now.  It is too bad Rotten Tomatoes has an influence on some movie goers.  Their system is severely broken and in need of an overhaul.  Including their critic review scores.

Unfortunately, I don't have tickets for this weekend, but I'll be seeing this movie next weekend.  I've always been a fan of Marvel's cosmic characters and I'm looking forward to how they handle the Skrulls.

Someone earlier today started going through the negative Audience reviews. He stopped counting after 15 of the negatives had the very same write-up repeated each time. That's nuts! RT should have some form of scrubbing that looks for these repeat statements.

This is crazy!

'Captain Marvel' Sandbagged on Rotten Tomatoes Within a Few Hours of Opening

As of 8 a.m., the film had a 33 percent audience score from more than 58,000 reviews. That is more than the total of audience score reviews for Avengers: Infinity War for its entire theatrical run. 

Rotten Tomatoes recently retooled its scoring system in an effort to combat trolls from sandbagging scores for movies they believed inferior and hadn't necessarily seen. A  film now can no longer be "reviewed" by audiences before it is released.

"We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date," Rotten Tomatoes said of the other changes. "Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership. We have decided that turning off this feature, for now, is the best course of action. Don’t worry though, fans will still get to have their say: Once a movie is released, audiences can leave a user rating and comments as they always have."

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Was Last Jedi this bad where RT had to purge so many accounts (if at all)?

Sheesh.  Is chauvinism really what's motivating these loons?  :screwy:

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Was Last Jedi this bad where RT had to purge so many accounts (if at all)?

I don't recall, but I do know that "Men's Rights Advocates"/Alt-Right folks organized -- and then bragged about -- the results of their boycott of The Force Awakens' bottom line.

That movie's great sin was casting a woman, African American and Latino in lead roles rather than the usual white men.

Her's one wrteup: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/boycott-star-wars-vii-movement-833102

They tried again with Rogue One.

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/star-wars-boycott-failed/

Edited by Gatsby77

31 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't recall, but I do know that "Men's Rights Advocates"/Alt-Right folks organized -- and then bragged about -- the results of their boycott of The Force Awakens' bottom line.

That movie's great sin was casting a woman, African American and Latino in lead roles rather than the usual white men.

Her's one wrteup: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/boycott-star-wars-vii-movement-833102

They tried again with Rogue One.

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/star-wars-boycott-failed/

Crazy!

Again - anyone who takes _any_ stock in the "Audience Reviews" on Rotten Tomatoes is doing it wrong.

It's infinitely exploitable -- not just by trolls, but also by paid studio hacks and bots -- both for and against a film.

Bosco - Here's good coverage of the plot to derail The Last Jedi's audience scores: https://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-metacritic-imdb-users-cinemascore-posttrak-1202228837/

Main takeaway: Only trust audience scores from CinemaScore or PostTrack - as this is audience data collected in real-time via exit polls, vs. online polls that are subject to manipulation.

Edited by Gatsby77

Just now, kimik said:

Umm.....the great sin with the Last Jedi is that it was not a very good movie, from the --script through acting. The gender of the leads did not matter to me. It was a mediocre movie.

Rogue One was a much better film.

Umm...re-read my post and or the article to which it links. It's talking about an organized boycott of The Force Awakens, not The Last Jedi.