CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,696 posts in this topic

5,729 posts
1 hour ago, topofthetotem said:

Review:

I saw it today and I liked it! 

End of review:

 

 

Your reviews are too darn wordy!!! :sumo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,092 posts
5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Air Emirates has 3,000 channels. I'll make a deal with anyone here willing to exchange cinematic tastes so to speak. I have not seen a single of the newer (last 15 years) men-fighting-men-in-spandex movies, so:

You tell me what MCU or DC of whatever superhero movie to watch on my flight and I will. And in exchange you watch Night Of The Hunter or Citizen Kane or The Magnificent Ambersons or The Whole Shootin' Match and we'll exchange reviews here. It'll be fun!

I make that trip from Atlanta to Dubai 3 times a year and it’s brutal. I load up my iPad by downloading movies and tv series from iTunes, Amazon and Netflix. Like others have recommended, I think you would enjoy Watchmen but The Directors Cut is not airline friendly in several parts. If you haven’t seen The Dark Knight, that’s the gold standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,209 posts

Went to the 10 pm showing on a Sunday night, the theater 1/2 full... was a bit worried as my expectations were very high and with all of these negative reactions, I just didn't want to be disappointed. 

And I wasn't. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did.

I thought this was one of the better Marvel movies and most certainly one of my favorites in the last two years. All of the cast was perfect. Don't know why I was worried about Brie, she played someone who 'isn't sure of who she is, and is full of programmed self doubt' just perfect and when she became the hero she was super heroic. And seeing her rock a NIN t-shirt and Levi's didn't hurt either.

Someone earlier worried that if the reaction to her wasn't strong enough, Marvel might shift gears... yeah right! She is the center of the next wave of movies, and she is going to be awesome. And mark my words... there will be things in Endgame that will make people want to go back and see this again. 

Thought the story was good, the action was good, the fighting was decent, the surprises entertaining... I'm not even sure what the 'slow' parts were that people were talking about... I was engaged throughout the whole movie. 

My new order:

1. Infinity War

2. Iron Man

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. The Avengers

5. Captain Marvel

6. Thor

7. Doctor Strange

8. Iron Man 3

9. Black Panther

10. Winter Soldier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,209 posts
14 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I make that trip from Atlanta to Dubai 3 times a year and it’s brutal. I load up my iPad by downloading movies and tv series from iTunes, Amazon and Netflix. Like others have recommended, I think you would enjoy Watchmen but The Directors Cut is not airline friendly in several parts. If you haven’t seen The Dark Knight, that’s the gold standard.

From DC to Hong Kong its about 14 hours, and if I had to watch that many superhero movies in a row I'd go insane. 

My ritual is: 

1. Watch an airline movie (Usually something I missed)

2. Have dinner

3. take my Zzzquil

4. Sleep for 8 hours

5. Wake up and start another movie (Usually something more familiar)

6. Have the next meal

7. and by that time we're usually less than 2 hours away...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,092 posts
2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

From DC to Hong Kong its about 14 hours, and if I had to watch that many superhero movies in a row I'd go insane. 

My ritual is: 

1. Watch an airline movie (Usually something I missed)

2. Have dinner

3. take my Zzzquil

4. Sleep for 8 hours

5. Wake up and start another movie (Usually something more familiar)

6. Have the next meal

7. and by that time we're usually less than 2 hours away...

I’m pretty much right there with you. I also do a lot of loitering near the bathroom area to stretch my legs and over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones have spared me on several trips near fussy babies. I also break out my Kindle Oasis when I’m movied out. That screen is really easy on my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,133 posts

Saw it, enjoyed it.  Wasn't in my superhero top 10, but it might be somewhere towards the bottom of the top 20.  Really need to insert the last year's worth of films into my list, haven't done it since before Infinity War.  I enjoyed Infinity War more.

I wasn't a big Avengers comics fan, so I wasn't all that familiar with the Kree/Skrull conflict details.  What I really enjoyed about it in the film was:

Spoiler

The big twist of the more-relatable human-like Kree being the villains and the less-relatable orc-like Skrulls being the sympathetic characters.  Didn't see it coming, but I try not to predict these things, I'm sure there were signs of the upcoming twist had I been looking for them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,312 posts
4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Saw it, enjoyed it.  Wasn't in my superhero top 10, but it might be somewhere towards the bottom of the top 20.  Really need to insert the last year's worth of films into my list, haven't done it since before Infinity War.  I enjoyed Infinity War more.

I wasn't a big Avengers comics fan, so I wasn't all that familiar with the Kree/Skrull conflict details.  What I really enjoyed about it in the film was:

  Reveal hidden contents

The big twist of the more-relatable human-like Kree being the villains and the less-relatable orc-like Skrulls being the sympathetic characters.  Didn't see it coming, but I try not to predict these things, I'm sure there were signs of the upcoming twist had I been looking for them.

 

Same here. The spoiler took me by surprise as well.  And, yes, IW was more enjoyable.   

CM just didn't have any of those "Oh Yeah!" moments, where IW was packed with them.  I do agree with Chuck that it was pretty cool seeing her rock a NIN t-shirt and the flannel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,133 posts
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

CM just didn't have any of those "Oh Yeah!" moments, where IW was packed with them.

I only felt it when she went full Binary on Ronan's fleet (I didn't put that in spoiler tags because it's shown in the trailer).  But that's mostly because I was biased towards the character from her 1980s X-Men days, I enjoyed her there when she did the same thing to the Brood, and this was a realization of that same Binary but in full cinematic glory.

Someone help me out if they think they understood the origin story:

Spoiler

In the comic she absorbs Mar-Vell's powers during the same explosion that the film showed, so are we to assume she got some of her traits in the film from the Annette Bening Mar-Vell?  Or did all of her powers come straight from the Tesseract?  In the comic she got her strength and flight from Mar-Vell, but she got her Binary powers from the Brood doing further genetic manipulation on her.  In the film it seemed like she got them all in one shot from the Tesseract.

Edited by fantastic_four

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,133 posts
Posted (edited)

Also, is there a hint as to the nature of her beam powers shown in the film?  In the comics, they describe her Binary powers as being "stellar power" where she's channeling the power of a white hole, and she herself describes them as channeling the power of a star in some of the X-Men panels such as those shown below from X-Men 164.  Either way I assume they're plasma since that's what comes off of stars...but plasma is thousands of degrees.  It's what George Lucas was thinking when he created lightsabers for Star Wars, and if it hits you, you're not going to just get knocked back, you're going to get a significant part of your anatomy instantly vaporized.  So what the heck are those blasts she's shooting supposed to be?  It seems like they're more force than heat since she hits multiple people with them and they just get pushed back and brush it off, and that doesn't jibe with the comic version.  And late in the film when she starts rocking the Kree fleet it suddenly appears that she's burning right through everything like she's emanating plasma.  ???

QmEm_xhvkRed7NRNobPiI1DsrfsXs_Ad-bCsa8CJSAVJBBz0_6XhdTubVbF2A7h3Ga1m-WRcN8zO=s1600I8Xkji4sO5nSXH8FuzPBqousiOcLYIgCbVWlX2k-rc5jJwgtXY4QannLxBLM9axdkCIeblkILSKM=s1600

Edited by fantastic_four

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,420 posts
44 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Also, is there a hint as to the nature of her beam powers shown in the film?  In the comics, they describe her Binary powers as being "stellar power" where she's channeling the power of a white hole, and she herself describes them as channeling the power of a star in some of the X-Men panels such as those shown below from X-Men 164.  Either way I assume they're plasma since that's what comes off of stars...but plasma is thousands of degrees.  It's what George Lucas was thinking when he created lightsabers for Star Wars, and if it hits you, you're not going to just get knocked back, you're going to get a significant part of your anatomy instantly vaporized.  So what the heck are those blasts she's shooting supposed to be?  It seems like they're more force than heat since she hits multiple people with them and they just get pushed back and brush it off, and that doesn't jibe with the comic version.  And late in the film when she starts rocking the Kree fleet it suddenly appears that she's burning right through everything like she's emanating plasma.  ???

QmEm_xhvkRed7NRNobPiI1DsrfsXs_Ad-bCsa8CJSAVJBBz0_6XhdTubVbF2A7h3Ga1m-WRcN8zO=s1600I8Xkji4sO5nSXH8FuzPBqousiOcLYIgCbVWlX2k-rc5jJwgtXY4QannLxBLM9axdkCIeblkILSKM=s1600

Whatever her powers are or aren't they looked awesome on the big screen! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82,569 posts
59 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Also, is there a hint as to the nature of her beam powers shown in the film?  In the comics, they describe her Binary powers as being "stellar power" where she's channeling the power of a white hole, and she herself describes them as channeling the power of a star in some of the X-Men panels such as those shown below from X-Men 164.  Either way I assume they're plasma since that's what comes off of stars...but plasma is thousands of degrees.  It's what George Lucas was thinking when he created lightsabers for Star Wars, and if it hits you, you're not going to just get knocked back, you're going to get a significant part of your anatomy instantly vaporized.  So what the heck are those blasts she's shooting supposed to be?  It seems like they're more force than heat since she hits multiple people with them and they just get pushed back and brush it off, and that doesn't jibe with the comic version.  And late in the film when she starts rocking the Kree fleet it suddenly appears that she's burning right through everything like she's emanating plasma.  ???

QmEm_xhvkRed7NRNobPiI1DsrfsXs_Ad-bCsa8CJSAVJBBz0_6XhdTubVbF2A7h3Ga1m-WRcN8zO=s1600I8Xkji4sO5nSXH8FuzPBqousiOcLYIgCbVWlX2k-rc5jJwgtXY4QannLxBLM9axdkCIeblkILSKM=s1600

I forgot she was Binary.

My introduction to Ms. Marvel was in reading the Avengers Korvac Saga storyline. What a great time! The Avengers (Iron Man, Captain America, Wonder Man, Hawkeye, Moondragon, Black Widow, Black Panther), Guardians of the Galaxy and this god-like villain. I think Korvac ends up killing Ms. Marvel in the story, along with other key heroes that are brought back afterwards. Long before any Thanos snap concerns.

I need to go back and read those X-Men appearances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,133 posts
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I forgot she was Binary.

They never use the name Binary in the film that I noticed, but Hasbro has a Captain Marvel figure with the plasma effects that refer to her as being in "Binary form" on the box.  I think the film just blended the Mar-Vell and Binary powers together and gave them to her at the same time.

6b57d25a-5343-485e-a15f-3934495a3311_1.b2a67da9643504a117e856a7c74a2b4d.jpeg

Edited by fantastic_four

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,131 posts
Posted (edited)

I'm probably going regret this but here goes:

setting the SJW, Angry Emasculated White Male Backlash ridiculous conversation aside, (FTR some of you guys are complete trolls, but then that permeates the tone of many of your posts when I glance outside this thread and I just put you on ignore) Let's just look at what's in the movie, a MCU movie, and judge it purely in that context.

In that regard I give it a B, maybe B+, where A Movies are Avengers 1,2,3) Civil War, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Iron Man 1, Thor 3

B movies are: Iron Man 3, Cap1, Ant Man 1, GOTG 1, Doctor Strange

C Movies: Hulk, Thor 2, Iron Man 2,  GOTG2, Antman 2. Spidey

That puts Captain Marvel in the upper half, middle at worst, and that's pretty good company to keep by all accounts.   There's no question that even a "B" is considered a "failure" by some, as the pressure this film has on both sides of the "debate" speak to a double standard where for whatever reason, it has to perform above all comparable expectations for no rationale reason.  The chart posted earlier is all you really need to look at the make an objective observation.   It has one of the lowest budgets of all the MCU movies, and has already beat total box office returns for several of them.  It will likely net out within 100 million of Doctor Strange. A solid B in dollar terms.  The Numbers are the numbers. Can't argue with facts. You can, but you're not only look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if you do, YOU ARE AN insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,028 posts
14 hours ago, grebal said:

Movie snob.

Though I actually love the black & white bubble world.  Oblivious to all that SJ nonsense and other that's permeated every other aspect of life practically.  Good movies, though I think CK is way overrated, it's just 3 star not 4 imo and not even in my top 20 faves or "best."  Bosco gave you a great list of 3 star or better movies from geek world.  As you already know, stay away from DD and Elektra.

I dont like when people say CK is overrated for the simple reason that a lot of its greatness is in how mind blowingly ground breaking it truly was. Those track shots where he dug out the floor to allow that upward perspective, back when most films were just a stationary camera pointed at some random groups of people talking. The part with Kane and his wife slowly sitting further and further apart at breakfast, the conversation becoming more and more stilted and cold over the years. Most films tried to tell the story from straight up dialogue and over the top narrative. Welles decided to actually just SHOW you the world and didnt explain it all to you, but let you figure it out for yourself. The use of shadow, everything in focus, camera movement, this film just rewrote all the rules.

The reasons for this films greatness are legion, we just lose perceptive on it because so much of what we watch now is based on his innovation....so much so that it seems commonplace and boring. But the never ending list of innovations he and his crew came up with for that movie alone puts it in a category all its own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,028 posts
10 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Went to the 10 pm showing on a Sunday night, the theater 1/2 full... was a bit worried as my expectations were very high and with all of these negative reactions, I just didn't want to be disappointed. 

And I wasn't. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did.

I thought this was one of the better Marvel movies and most certainly one of my favorites in the last two years. All of the cast was perfect. Don't know why I was worried about Brie, she played someone who 'isn't sure of who she is, and is full of programmed self doubt' just perfect and when she became the hero she was super heroic. And seeing her rock a NIN t-shirt and Levi's didn't hurt either.

Someone earlier worried that if the reaction to her wasn't strong enough, Marvel might shift gears... yeah right! She is the center of the next wave of movies, and she is going to be awesome. And mark my words... there will be things in Endgame that will make people want to go back and see this again. 

Thought the story was good, the action was good, the fighting was decent, the surprises entertaining... I'm not even sure what the 'slow' parts were that people were talking about... I was engaged throughout the whole movie. 

My new order:

1. Infinity War

2. Iron Man

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. The Avengers

5. Captain Marvel

6. Thor

7. Doctor Strange

8. Iron Man 3

9. Black Panther

10. Winter Soldier

Its funny, most people would Winter solider 1-2 and wouldn't put Iron Man 3 even on the list. Goes to show, all subject to taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,883 posts

All these acronyms are really starting to trip me up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5