• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

To be fair, I still don't know what the full extent of Vision's powers are.

From the films, I gather he can:

- change density

- shoot beams from his head

- calculate like a supercomputer

- talk to other computers

- fly

For instance, an obvious one would be invisibility (if he can change density, why not simply become invisible too?)

The point? I presume there are other powers not yet shown.

Doesn't make him any less compelling a character.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Yeah, I was looking for these big flaws some people called out in reviews posted online, and didn't see it. One reviewer had noted how offsetting it was, and I never saw those scenes. One even went on about how Coulson was the worst.

(shrug)

Spoiler

The only scene with sketchy de-aging was when they escaped from the Air Force facility on the ship. When SLJ has a close-up smile at the camera I could tell it just wasn't corrected right.

In fact, the de-aging CGI was better than the Super Saiyan stuff in the 3rd Act.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

To be fair, I still don't know what the full extent of Vision's powers are.

From the films, I gather he can:

- change density

- shoot beams from his head

- calculate like a supercomputer

- talk to other computers

- fly

For instance, an obvious one would be invisibility (if he can change density, why not simply become invisible too?)

The point? I presume there are other powers not yet shown.

Doesn't make him any less compelling a character.

To be fair, he was never a compelling character in the MCU. lol

He's just another McGuffin product. The problem with his existence is highlighted in the Civil War battle. The McGuffin lovers could simply end it themselves, and yet they didn't, just "cuz".

Edit: It's okay and fine to have characters that aren't compelling, and/or aren't focal points. You need a mix. However, a character with his/her own movie, the title character, should be one who is (mostly) fully understood.

If it wasn't for SHIELD/Fury and some great writing, this easily could've been a bust.

Edited by TwoPiece

I still have NO understanding of the MCU Scarlet Witch powers.  In the comic they're muddled and changed dramatically over time, and where they've landed in the films is entirely beyond me.  As many questions as I have about the Binary powers, I have many more about what the heck the Scarlet Witch does in almost any scene we've ever seen featuring her powers.

But I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.  I want to understand the powers of both Binary and Scarlet Witch, but it's not integral to enjoying watching them kick butt regardless of how they're doing it.  Ultimately the explanation will be fictional and require you to suspend disbelief anyway.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I still have NO understanding of the MCU Scarlet Witch powers.  In the comic they're muddled and changed dramatically over time, and where they've landed in the films is entirely beyond me.  As many questions as I have about the Binary powers, I have many more about what the heck the Scarlet Witch does in almost any scene we've ever seen featuring her powers.

Kinda hoping that she and Vision are permanently done after Endgame.

Let Thanos kill off half the characters in some "final battle". Get rid of the McGuffin products. Marvel Studios has the opportunity to do a lot of great things to end Phase 3. "Off"ing the characters that don't truly matter, along with some who do, was hopefully a priority.

For me though, this is not high on my MCU list compared to all the previous movies. It was a middle of the road film. My top 5 remain the same.

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2) The Avengers

3) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1

4) Iron Man

5) Thor (2011) - As a 70's and 80's Thor reader, this had so much of what I cherish and appreciated

For my wife, she really connected with the Ant-Man movies. Loves how it balances between Paul Rudd and Evangline Lilly. And with Doctor Strange, we saw this in 3-D. So the fantastic scenes and colors stuck with her as wonderfully crafted. Funny how these films come across to different people.

15 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

She can fly despite not trying before and she has an immediate handle on it?

She couldn't fly before because the Kree device on her neck severely limited her powers.  The fight against Ronan's fleet was her using them fully for the first time.

She hadn't removed it before because they told her it was the device that gave her the powers.  Once the memory of the crash re-emerged, she realized it wasn't the device giving her the powers, it was the Tesseract that did it.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Kinda hoping that she and Vision are permanently done after Endgame.

Let Thanos kill off half the characters in some "final battle". Get rid of the McGuffin products. Marvel Studios has the opportunity to do a lot of great things to end Phase 3. "Off"ing the characters that don't truly matter, along with some who do, was hopefully a priority.

I wonder if The Vision and Scarlet Witch streaming show will address much of the details still to be conveyed? I have a slight concern...

Marvel's 'Vision and Scarlet Witch' Series Lands 'Captain Marvel' Writer

Many characters powers change or are revealed to be more over time or explained, including... Mmm pretty much every character ever created in comics.

And Luke Skywalker with the force as well. We didn't learn about midichlorians until two decades after the movies started.

Just now, fantastic_four said:

She couldn't fly before because the Kree device on her neck severely limited her powers.  The fight against Ronan's fleet was her using them fully for the first time.

Spoiler

That device as a plot device was awful, and aids the poor writing narrative. She was falling to the ground, closed her eyes, and BOOM she can fly. Just boring. But, hey, at least we know she can fly. How/why? Doesn't matter to some. Boring to me.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Many characters powers change or are revealed to be more over time or explained, including... Mmm pretty much every character ever created in comics.

And Luke Skywalker with the force as well. We didn't learn about midichlorians until two decades after the movies started.

Or astral projection.

Ditto with Princess Leia's relationship to the Force:

We see her with the empathetic / mind-reading tie to Luke in Empire.

Then again with the breathe-in-space & flying bit in TLJ.

I'm good with all of the above. Just because we didn't *see* a power displayed in the original trilogy doesn't mean it's not there and/or can't be canon.

Edited by Gatsby77

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

Or astral projection.

Ditto with Princess Leia relationship to the Force:

We see her with the empathetic / mind-reading tie to Luke in Empire.

Then again with the breathe-in-space & flying bit in TLJ.

I'm good with all of the above. Just because we didn't *see* a power displayed in the original trilogy doesn't mean it's not there and/or can't be canon.

Get away from me.

19 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Are you implying that I loved Spider-Man's and Black Panther's inclusions to Civil War?

No, it's a simple question. How are they able to withstand a fall from a moving vehicle, roll 50 feet on concrete and not break any bones. That power was never explained to me.

I'm not falling for another strawman argument.

I do not think you know what that phrase means. Google is your friend.

Her powers are not explained in the slightest.

Hide contents

She can fly despite not trying before and she has an immediate handle on it?        

Tony Stark, despite not being a trained pilot, mastered it after one try. Banner flying an alien ship in Ragnarok? A trained pilot getting it on the first try? Wait, she's a female... Outrage!

She does not have the Power Cosmic. That's not how it works.

Yes. That's how it works. Banner got gamma radiation. The strongest there is! She got the Power Cosmic. NOW the most powerful there is.

Explain to me how Gamma Radiation works again?

It's a valid expectation to be given enough information about a character that is allegedly going to lead the franchise past the Iron Man Era. This was a very questionable "origin" story that doesn't give one much to be invested in. Power for power's sake isn't compelling.

Like the force in Star Wars? They waited a decade to explain that. 

And to think that my main concern was going to be Larson's acting...

Thankfully the studios could care less what comic nerds think.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
  Hide contents

That device as a plot device was awful, and aids the poor writing narrative. She was falling to the ground, closed her eyes, and BOOM she can fly. Just boring. But, hey, at least we know she can fly. How/why? Doesn't matter to some. Boring to me.

But when Iron Man did it, it was ok!

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

No, it's a simple question. How are they able to withstand a fall from a moving vehicle, roll 50 feet on concrete and not break any bones. That power was never explained to me.

I do not think you know what that phrase means. Google is your friend.

Tony Stark, despite not being a trained pilot, mastered it after one try. Banner flying an alien ship in Ragnarok? A trained pilot getting it on the first try? Wait, she's a female... Outrage!

Yes. That's how it works. Banner got gamma radiation. The strongest there is! She got the Power Cosmic. NOW the most powerful there is.

Explain to me how Gamma Radiation works again?

Like the force in Star Wars? They waited a decade to explain that. 

Thankfully the studios could care less what comic nerds think.

Lol what? Did you even watch Iron Man..?

Never agreed with Banner piloting that ship in Ragnarok, especially after the PhD back-and-forth.

Captain Marvel does not have the Power Cosmic.

The Force never needed an explanation. Marvel Studios has purposefully grounded the MCU in "reality". Star Wars wasn't written to be related to.

It's "couldn't care less". Google is your friend.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Lol what? Did you even watch Iron Man..?

Yes. He masters flying pretty easily. Getting off the ground was the hard part.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Never agreed with Banner piloting that ship in Ragnarok, especially after the PhD back-and-forth.

Yet it just didn't ruin the movie for you or make you go on a rant.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Captain Marvel does not have the Power Cosmic.

Oh yes she does. 

Just now, TwoPiece said:

The Force never needed an explanation.

Why? It's power. Or is it because men wielded it?

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Marvel Studios has purposefully grounded the MCU in "reality".

LOL. Now THAT is funny.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Star Wars wasn't written to be related to.

Now you're just making stuff up. How old are you?

Just now, TwoPiece said:

It's "couldn't care less". Google is your friend.

No, the studios COULD care less, they think this is plenty though.

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yes. He masters flying pretty easily. Getting off the ground was the hard part.

Yet it just didn't ruin the movie for you or make you go on a rant.

Oh yes she does. 

Why? It's power. Or is it because men wielded it?

LOL. Now THAT is funny.

Now you're just making stuff up. How old are you?

No, the studios COULD care less, they think this is plenty though.

He built the system. It's really easy to fly a "ship" you built and programmed yourself... Common sense.

I've criticized Ragnarok for its faults. Despite Captain Marvel having much more, it didn't ruin the movie, and neither require a "rant".

No, she doesn't.

Why? It's science fiction not meant to be grounded in reality. CM, on the other hand, joins a universe that was intentionally built to feel real. Obviously you haven't realized this in 11 years. I guess you do learn something new everyday, huh?

At this point you must be pulling my leg.

While what you say in your final sentence is true, the phrase is, "couldn't care less". You're welcome.

15 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

But y'all TLJ haters are fine with Leia's demonstrated telepathy powers from Empire?

What telepathy powers from Empire? Luke communicated with her. “Leia hear me”.  He reached out to her, not the other way around.  Just because someone’s influenced via the Force doesn’t make them a “Force user”. For example “These aren’t the droids we’re looking for. Move along.”