• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

umm, can you guys read?  Black Panther dropped 82% it's second week. Was that a good not great movie? CM has already beat BP"s entire run by 50%.  It's the 5th place movie on this list in 2 weeks.  Some of you guys with whatever rabid hate-on for CM are just really reaching at this point.

Can you read? Captain Marvel is just a "good" movie.

You can join Chuck in the strawman argument group. Recognizing that a movie has flaws is =/= hate.

9 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

umm, can you guys read?  Black Panther dropped 82% it's second week. Was that a good not great movie? CM has already beat BP"s entire run by 50%.  It's the 5th place movie on this list in 2 weeks.  Some of you guys with whatever rabid hate-on for CM are just really reaching at this point.

Who are 'you guys'? It's just the second week. There's at least two more weeks minimum.

11 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Can you read? Captain Marvel is just a "good" movie.

You can join Chuck in the strawman argument group. Recognizing that a movie has flaws is =/= hate.

I'm gonna join Chuck in that you simply do not know WTF a strawman fallacy means.  All movies have flaws, I was quite direct in saying it was a B+ IMO. A B+ Marvel Studios/MCU movie, which put's it head and shoulders above the majority of all movies. But the fact that some of you are wiling to argue a point into the ground and scour the earth for distorted data points to support your pet theories is the basis of what I consider a disproportionate and singular dislike for this movie, which I believe is the basis of Chuck's assertion that it stems from a deeper resentment/double standard in objectively looking at this particular movie.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

18 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

That is not a fair assessment to say that some here who have cited the movie as just “good” have a rabid hate-on for CM.

4 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I'm gonna join Chuck in that you simply do not know WTF a strawman fallacy means.  All movies have flaws, I was quite direct in saying it was a B+ IMO. A B+ Marvel Studios/MCU movie, which put's it head and shoulders above the majority of all movies. But the fact that some of you are wiling to argue a point into the ground and scour the earth for distorted data points to support your pet theories is the basis of what I consider a disproportionate and singular dislike for this movie, which I believe is the basis of Chuck's assertion that it stems from a deeper resentment/double standard in objectively looking at this particular movie.

Seriously..? You are creating the "hate" argument, because nobody is hating on the movie. That's a strawman.

I'm just responding to the fact that some numbers support the "good not great" movie analysis. Just because you want to jump on my ____ for having a valid opinion doesn't mean that I'm hammering anything "into the ground".

The fact that you're attempting to invalidate outside opinions as "pet theories" and think you're looking at the movie "objectively" means you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

3 minutes ago, Oddball said:

That is not a fair assessment to say that some here who have cited the movie as just “good” have a rabid hate-on for CM.

That is the conclusion I'm at with this post.

If you're not onboard with cheering this movie on as incredible, you must hate it.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

That is the conclusion I'm at with this post.

If you're not onboard with cheering this movie on as incredible, you must hate it.

It’s funny, I badmouthed Justice League and Aquaman in their threads and nobody jumped on me for expressing my opinion. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

It’s funny, I badmouthed Justice League and Aquaman in their threads and nobody jumped on me for expressing my opinion. Thank you.

That's because it's acceptable to carp on DC. The prodigal son Marvel, however, is perfect in every way and their droves of fanboys and fangirls will defend them at all costs.

Seriously - I love DC, Marvel, Star Wars, and movies. Not everything they produce will be perfect. Look at Suicide Squad, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, and The Last Jedi. They've all made huge mistakes along the way.

I'm really interested at how you can objectively look at a movie, though. Other than maybe special effects. Even then, I have a couple friends that say they don't notice how Cavill's upper lip looks like a blowup doll for half of Justice League, though.

if you have more than 10 comments on this thread repeating ad-naseum how mediocre and disappointing this movie is for being good, you kids really need to take a walk outside and get some fresh air, and soak up some vitamin D.  Meanwhile as the tickets sales continue to rack up over the next 6-8 weeks, and every meaningful objective metric supports the success of this film, I'll let you guys off the hook and not expect some acknowledgment of said reality.  You don't like it, Chuck argues you were predisposed not to like it, I don't really give a damn one way or the other, but when you try to argue facts like tickets sales and numbers and statistics in general to support your opinions and get them widely, mathematically, INCORRECT- then the credibility of your opinions is severely damaged. Please try to make more informed arguments.  

17 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I'd be badmouthing any fool that said Justice League was GOOD.  That was a dumpster fire.  DC has made exactly one good DCEU movie (and I hesitate to even use the term DEU, as DC has all but abandoned it. ) and that that was Wonder Woman. 

23 minutes ago, Oddball said:

They didn't work for you. That's totally okay.

8 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

if you have more than 10 comments on this thread repeating ad-naseum how mediocre and disappointing this movie is for being good, you kids really need to take a walk outside and get some fresh air, and soak up some vitamin D.  Meanwhile as the tickets sales continue to rack up over the next 6-8 weeks, and every meaningful objective metric supports the success of this film, I'll let you guys off the hook and not expect some acknowledgment of said reality.  You don't like it, Chuck argues you were predisposed not to like it, I don't really give a damn one way or the other, but when you try to argue facts like tickets sales and numbers and statistics in general to support your opinions and get them widely, mathematically, INCORRECT- then the credibility of your opinions is severely damaged. Please try to make more informed arguments.  

So when people hang on other threads about non-MCU films and repeatedly talk about how much they hated the film, that's okay with you? But if someone notes it is 'good' and it is an MCU film, then they must be picking on the film.

it's an opinion.

16 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's because it's acceptable to carp on DC. The prodigal son Marvel, however, is perfect in every way and their droves of fanboys and fangirls will defend them at all costs.

Seriously - I love DC, Marvel, Star Wars, and movies. Not everything they produce will be perfect. Look at Suicide Squad, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, and The Last Jedi. They've all made huge mistakes along the way.

I'm really interested at how you can objectively look at a movie, though. Other than maybe special effects. Even then, I have a couple friends that say they don't notice how Cavill's upper lip looks like a blowup doll for half of Justice League, though.

now who's exagerrating? 

FTR:  Upon re-watching GOTG2 my opinion towards it went from "meh" to this movie is kinda stupid.   I don't think Marvel/Disney will suffer the loss of James Gunn much.  Also- if Kevin Feige were running the show at DCEU instead of MCU, we'd be having the opposite conversation. It's not a Marvel Fanboy versus DC fanboy thing. It's a which huge entertainment conglomerate got it right, and which didn't.  DC didn't.  

8 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I'd be badmouthing any fool that said Justice League was GOOD.  That was a dumpster fire.  DC has made exactly one good DCEU movie (and I hesitate to even use the term DEU, as DC has all but abandoned it. ) and that that was Wonder Woman. 

And Man of Steel.

1 minute ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

now who's exagerrating? 

I wasn't talking to you because you can't pick up the between-the-lines sarcasm.

It was absolutely obviously an exaggeration. Lmfao. Move on. There are other people on this site to interact with.

Also, Justice League is good. It would've been great had Snyder not been canned. An MCU fanboy won't admit this, though.

As someone who refuses to enlist in the DC vs Marvel fanboy fight, I certainly see movies with more "objectivity" than most(?).

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

So when people hang on other threads about non-MCU films and repeatedly talk about how much they hated the film, that's okay with you? But if someone notes it is 'good' and it is an MCU film, then they must be picking on the film.

it's an opinion.

to be fair, I don't usually look at these movie threads, I don't usually go dumpster diving in Comics General :baiting:but I wanted to hear more about this one because CM's modern backstory is rather convoluted in the comics and I've skipped the last 15 years of modern comics continuity for the most part so I wasn't sure what all the movie changed, kept, or consolidated relative to the books and though that might be discussed here.