• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

May not be high on my list. But this is great for comic book productions, and for the hobby. Even more if it leads to new readers and fans.

Well there's also not much competition right now so it was definitely well timed.  I gave it 7/10 but still enjoyed it.  I'm pleased it's a money maker as it bodes well for the continued future of comic movies.  Unless Disney/Marvel hate money why would they ever stop making comic movies so long as they're this profitable?

Not to diminish the film's stellar performance in any way, but I think at some point there needs to be some kind of deflator for international performance, much like inflation adjusted indices.

The international markets have opened up vastly over the past decade, and hence make films like Aquaman seem gargantuanly stellar, but with a huge contribution being international performance.

If we take that away, he doesn't even make top 50 domestic.  The problem is marketing tends to boast about absolute worldwide numbers, instead of relative; apples to oranges.

Edited by bronze_rules

3 hours ago, justafan said:

Well there's also not much competition right now so it was definitely well timed.  I gave it 7/10 but still enjoyed it.  I'm pleased it's a money maker as it bodes well for the continued future of comic movies.  Unless Disney/Marvel hate money why would they ever stop making comic movies so long as they're this profitable?

I get it. But still even with little competition it would be hard to say this is not a massive win for Disney/MCU. Quite the audience response, and most probably fantastical MCU fans going back multiple times to see this.

Quite impressive.

Just came back from seeing Captain Marvel. Loved it. Everybody who went with me loved it as well.

These Marvel movies are like an epic adventure. Far surpassing any other current franchise of movies now.

I really loved the Kree/Skrull war aspects of it. You can tell where Marvel will be going into space wars with Phase 4.

I got to feel sad for that certain segment of men that tried to troll this.

Really what were they scared of?

Captain Marvel in my top 5 Marvel movies.

Looking forward for a part 2.

Anybody on the fence about this I think you will be surprised and like it.

12 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Just came back from seeing Captain Marvel. Loved it. Everybody who went with me loved it as well.

These Marvel movies are like an epic adventure. Far surpassing any other current franchise of movies now.

I really loved the Kree/Skrull war aspects of it. You can tell where Marvel will be going into space wars with Phase 4.

I got to feel sad for that certain segment of men that tried to troll this.

Really what were they scared of?

Captain Marvel in my top 5 Marvel movies.

Looking forward for a part 2.

Anybody on the fence about this I think you will be surprised and like it.

As many from the audience are leaving feeling this strongly, it is going to be interesting how massive Endgame turns out to be after a long line of films telling all these associated stories.

It is going to be a huge event.

44 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

As many from the audience are leaving feeling this strongly, it is going to be interesting how massive Endgame turns out to be after a long line of films telling all these associated stories.

It is going to be a huge event.

Endgame is going to smash records.  Can’t wait to see it.

I liked this movie.  I like period movies generally.  But one science goof-saying Skrulls are not made from anything on the periodic table-that means they would be made of elements with more protons and neutrons than Ununoctium-which means a skrull would weigh 2-3 tons- or more-and I really dont see how any metabolsim or even a stable body would be possible with elements so heavy they decay in nanoseconds.  Really wish Hollywood would make use of at least someone who had HS level science.  It's like when they say "I come from another galaxy"-Why??  There are 200 billion stars in just the milky way-cant they come from one of those??  Another galaxy is incredibly far away.  

Edited by kav

11 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

btw I hope they give Nick Fury a movie. He was awesome in this. I like to see maybe his adventures in the time period that took place between the end of Captain Marvel(1990s) until Iron Man 1(2008).

That be cool.

Fury has the 3rd most appearances in the MCU. IMO we don't need a movie about him.

Avengers, Iron Man 2, The Winter Soldier, now Captain Marvel, and Far From Home all have him co-starring.

29 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Fury has the 3rd most appearances in the MCU. IMO we don't need a movie about him.

Avengers, Iron Man 2, The Winter Soldier, now Captain Marvel, and Far From Home all have him co-starring.

They should do one about his dad, Nick Fury Sr., who was white and fought in WW II alongside Captain America and Dum Dum Dugan.

5 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

They should do one about his dad, Nick Fury Sr., who was white and fought in WW II alongside Captain America and Dum Dum Dugan.

Nah. 'Cuz then Disney would have to admit that Fury Jr. was adopted, Sue Storm-style.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

He really has been given quite a bit of screen time across the MCU. And with Winter Soldier, it really was an extensive film not only about Steve Rogers but also Nick's efforts to protect the values he helped to establish within SHIELD.

That movie is such solid gold when it comes to adventure, action, espionage and further franchise-building worth watching.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

He really has been given quite a bit of screen time across the MCU. And with Winter Soldier, it really was an extensive film not only about Steve Rogers but also Nick's efforts to protect the values he helped to establish within SHIELD.

That movie is such solid gold when it comes to adventure, action, espionage and further franchise-building worth watching.

A coworker of mine told me he just finished Infinity War yesterday. He was asking specifically about Fury - asking if he was in charge of SHIELD, etc. I had to tell him that they don't exist post-Cap 2. He never saw The Winter Soldier...

I told him that he basically has to see it. Not sure why he watched Infinity War having only seen a handful of MCU flicks. TWS is a lot of people's favorite film of the franchise.

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

In the comics, his son, Nick Fury Junior, is mixed race, African American, bald, and has an eye patch.

Retconned already.

8 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

A coworker of mine told me he just finished Infinity War yesterday. He was asking specifically about Fury - asking if he was in charge of SHIELD, etc. I had to tell him that they don't exist post-Cap 2. He never saw The Winter Soldier...

I told him that he basically has to see it. Not sure why he watched Infinity War having only seen a handful of MCU flicks. TWS is a lot of people's favorite film of the franchise.

Talk about allowing yourself to be tossed in the middle of the pond without a lifevest and wondering why it feels so odd you can't swim.

That's a lot to take in with little backstory.