• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don`t get why everybody loves Marvel`s Civil War and doesn`t love DC`s BvS?

193 posts in this topic

Honestly I think it comes down to this... and I know the OP very badly wants everyone to love BvS, and if HE loved it? If anyone loved it? They don't need to apologize. Shoot, I love the movie Ishtar (look it up kiddies - Also, check it out... it's really funny). Don't apologize for something you like.

That being said? You can't WILL people to like a flawed movie, or try to bring down a better movie to raise up a movie you like. Just like what you like and be happy.

Here's how I see it.

DC has KILLED IT on the TV Universe. Fabulous. But they made a choice not to connect that to its cinematic universe. Fine.

DC KILLED IT with the Nolan trilogy. However, it wasn't a set of movies that they felt were something they could use for universe building. So while they were being universally lauded, they were also falling incredibly far behind Marvel who was carefully building a universe on all fronts. Movies, TV, even streaming now.

The end result?

When we get a movie like Civil War - which was phenomenal... every beat in that movie is earned. Every small character moment is something that calls back to something we know about that CINEMATIC version of that character. We understand WHY these conflicts happen, and HOW these personalities could come to this. The have weight to them. Yes, those of us who love the comics know even more in the background... but increasingly with such a rich cinematic history... it's less and less important to know that. You can know Steve Rogers from the hours you've seen him on screen. You know Tony Stark too. When they fight in this movie, you don't want them to lose their friendship. Like I said it's well earned.

BvS? Any depth to that movie we as comic fans had to BRING to it from our knowledge of the comic characters... because otherwise we're getting it from very limited screen time and not much else. The Batman Superman fight is resolved because their mothers are both named Martha? I mean honestly... I love the characters. I thought Affleck was a great Batman. But it's hard to argue that movie had any of the real impact of Civil War. And certainly not for people who just are basing it on the movies.

I do believe that Civil War is the movie Zack Snyder THOUGHT he was making with BvS... but because of the great success of TV and the Nolan trilogy they tried to skip all the steps Marvel took to get to the place where they could make that movie. And that's why on a number of levels it was a let down.

Was it still fun to see those characters on the screen? Sure. But was it a disappointment? To me it was. If it wasn't to you? Great. You're lucky. But, no OP, I don't think there's any Marvel vs DC bias. I just think that you perhaps have such a love for the DC characters that you're bringing that knowledge and love to the viewing of BvS and seeing more than what was on the screen... and that's why your reaction to it was different than many others who looked at it on it's own merits. But like I said, you're entitled to do that, and if you enjoyed it, I think that's great.

I think there is. No way is Civil War three times better than BvS!

That`s the differential if we go by Rotten Tomatoes.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice :27%

Captain America: Civil War :90%

:o

If someone asks me which of the two I want to see again. I am going with BvS!

Plus, they are at least will be offering me an R rated version next.

Another thing I want to point out I am not sold yet on Civil War`s final box office.

I will not be shocked if it doesn`t beat BvS at the box office!

I have a funny feeling Civil War`s box office is front-loaded.

btw

I loved Civil War,but no way is it three times better than BvS! That`s my beef!

Clearly there is a bias just like there is a bias among Apple users over PC users!

To give BvS a 27% is unfathomable!

Honestly I think it comes down to this... and I know the OP very badly wants everyone to love BvS, and if HE loved it? If anyone loved it? They don't need to apologize. Shoot, I love the movie Ishtar (look it up kiddies - Also, check it out... it's really funny). Don't apologize for something you like.

That being said? You can't WILL people to like a flawed movie, or try to bring down a better movie to raise up a movie you like. Just like what you like and be happy.

Here's how I see it.

DC has KILLED IT on the TV Universe. Fabulous. But they made a choice not to connect that to its cinematic universe. Fine.

DC KILLED IT with the Nolan trilogy. However, it wasn't a set of movies that they felt were something they could use for universe building. So while they were being universally lauded, they were also falling incredibly far behind Marvel who was carefully building a universe on all fronts. Movies, TV, even streaming now.

The end result?

When we get a movie like Civil War - which was phenomenal... every beat in that movie is earned. Every small character moment is something that calls back to something we know about that CINEMATIC version of that character. We understand WHY these conflicts happen, and HOW these personalities could come to this. The have weight to them. Yes, those of us who love the comics know even more in the background... but increasingly with such a rich cinematic history... it's less and less important to know that. You can know Steve Rogers from the hours you've seen him on screen. You know Tony Stark too. When they fight in this movie, you don't want them to lose their friendship. Like I said it's well earned.

BvS? Any depth to that movie we as comic fans had to BRING to it from our knowledge of the comic characters... because otherwise we're getting it from very limited screen time and not much else. The Batman Superman fight is resolved because their mothers are both named Martha? I mean honestly... I love the characters. I thought Affleck was a great Batman. But it's hard to argue that movie had any of the real impact of Civil War. And certainly not for people who just are basing it on the movies.

I do believe that Civil War is the movie Zack Snyder THOUGHT he was making with BvS... but because of the great success of TV and the Nolan trilogy they tried to skip all the steps Marvel took to get to the place where they could make that movie. And that's why on a number of levels it was a let down.

Was it still fun to see those characters on the screen? Sure. But was it a disappointment? To me it was. If it wasn't to you? Great. You're lucky. But, no OP, I don't think there's any Marvel vs DC bias. I just think that you perhaps have such a love for the DC characters that you're bringing that knowledge and love to the viewing of BvS and seeing more than what was on the screen... and that's why your reaction to it was different than many others who looked at it on it's own merits. But like I said, you're entitled to do that, and if you enjoyed it, I think that's great.

Another thing I want to point out I am not sold yet on Civil War`s final box office.

btw

Clearly there is a bias just like there is a bias among Apple users over PC users!

That's not how those figures work...they do not mean that CW is three times better then BvS.

They suggest that it is better, but you cannot extrapolate a ratio from it.

And even if you could, what does 'three time better' actually mean? :facepalm:

I'm staggered that grown men who find their personal fave funny book movie not honoured in the way that they personally think it should be are now starting to claim bias.

I'll say it again...grown men. :facepalm:

Here's how I see it.

The end result?

btw

That's not how those figures work...they do not mean that CW is three times better then BvS.

I'm staggered that grown men who find their personal fave funny book movie not honoured in the way that they personally think it should be are now starting to claim bias.

Oh you got to have a little fun. DC vs Marvel is fun!

With that thought.

The tide could turn quick though,as in what if Civil War doesn`t beat BvS at the box office?

If it doesn`t than some other grown men will make excuses of why the box office was off!

:baiting:

Here's how I see it.

The end result?

btw

Oh you got to have a little fun. DC vs Marvel is fun!

With that thought.

The tide could turn quick though,as in what if Civil War doesn`t beat BvS at the box office?

If it doesn`t than some other grown men will make excuses of why the box office was off!

:baiting:

It will beat it Internationally. Domestically is still too close to call since it is looking like the number will wind up between Winter Soldier and AoU based on opening weekend.

Most of these types of movies are front loaded. The question is does Domestic beat 2 - 2.5x opening or not.

The difference for me in watching Civil War vs BvS was the fact that not once in BvS did I have an ear to ear smile on my face from what I was seeing on screen.

As opposed to Civil War, where numerous times I couldn't hold back a smile. I'm talking about from just sheer awesomeness of what was happening on the screen, not from the comedic moments. One example is the intro to Giant Man.

In BvS, nothing did that for me. I enjoyed the experience of seeing it at the theater, but it's not a film I will watch over and over. I do have the ultimate edition preordered though.

Civil War was just more fun, had better pacing and editing, and a better story IMO. Marvel has the formula down, but I'm hoping DC will hit it's stride with Suicide Squad. Can't wait for that one.

And I prefer Pepsi to Coke... Coke sucks. Except the diet, caffeine free Coke. Don't know how that works though lol.

The difference for me in watching Civil War vs BvS was the fact that not once in BvS did I have an ear to ear smile on my face from what I was seeing on screen.

As opposed to Civil War, where numerous times I couldn't hold back a smile. I'm talking about from just sheer awesomeness of what was happening on the screen, not from the comedic moments. One example is the intro to Giant Man.

In BvS, nothing did that for me. I enjoyed the experience of seeing it at the theater, but it's not a film I will watch over and over. I do have the ultimate edition preordered though.

Civil War was just more fun, had better pacing and editing, and a better story IMO. Marvel has the formula down, but I'm hoping DC will hit it's stride with Suicide Squad. Can't wait for that one.

And I prefer Pepsi to Coke... Coke sucks. Except the diet, caffeine free Coke. Don't know how that works though lol.

In layman terms you are saying

Cap,Iron Man,Spidey,Ant-man and Black Widow are more likable than Batman,Superman and Wonder Woman?

hm

It all boils down to characterization. People like interesting characters. That do surprising things. BvS you could predict what each character would do next pretty much step by step. Also real people smile once in a while.

In layman terms you are saying

Cap,Iron Man,Spidey,Ant-man and Black Widow are more likable than Batman,Superman and Wonder Woman?

hm

I'll go way out on a limb and say the MCU version of Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, Ant-Man, and Black Widow are more likable than the DCCU version of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. Partially because Disney is trying to make it's heroes likable and WB is trying to make its heroes conflicted.

It all boils down to characterization. People like interesting characters. That do surprising things. BvS you could predict what each character would do next pretty much step by step. Also real people smile once in a while.

This is how my kids and I feel with the Marvel heroes outside of GotG. They are so predictable it is boring to watch now. "I'm with you to the end of the line and will not fight back even though you are trying to kill me, Bucky" :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

FWIW, my kids and their friends are still meh re: going to see Civil War due to the duds that AoU and Ant-Man were. However, they are all looking forward to X-Men Apocalypse due to how great they thought DoFP was.

Here's how I see it.

The end result?

btw

And BvS wasn't? Holy perception bias, dude :doh:

I don't think anyone is saying CW is three times better...the Rotten Tomato numbers just reflect the percentage of critics who gave the movie an overall rating of '6' or better.

My sense is that if we averaged all the ratings for each film (out of a top score of 10) that CW would average an 8 or 8.5 and BVS would be a 5 or so. So the ratio would be something like 8:5 (half again better as a cinematic experience).

And it's hard for me to buy a built-in DC bias when the company's best films (Dark Knight trilogy, etc.) were also among the top scorers on RT...critics like well-made and well-written films across the board, regardless of source.

Dan

My sense is that if we averaged all the ratings for each film (out of a top score of 10) that CW would average an 8 or 8.5 and BVS would be a 5 or so.

We don't have to have a "sense" for this, Rotten Tomatoes explicitly shows it as 4.9 out of 10 for BvS and 7.6 out of 10 for Civil War. When you're talking about absolute quality those are the numbers to compare, not the Tomatometer scores.

I enjoyed both quite a bit.. the difference for me was I needed to see BVS again while I can wait on CW. CW was really good it just felt really safe for me.

Zemo's plan while it worked hinged on so many coincidences.

Everyone talks about the trailers spoiling BVS.. which I would agree with accept the

death of superman

Didnt CW do the same?

The whole ending was pretty much ruined for me because i knew when Tony was going to help out they would be fighting again because of that last fight in the trailer, and figured they would be fighting because he would find out about Bucky killing his parents because you knew about that from winter soldier

I was more upset with the trailers of CW spoiling me than BVS the only thing BVS did was show who they would be fighting, not the coolest part of the final fight like CW did.

I also felt CW was a bit safe... again safe is not bad but it just didnt have any meaning to me... i felt like they have been having this "argument" since AOU and nothing progressed. I dont know i love the marvel movies and Winter Soldier is up in probably my top 5 movies of all time, but that movie had meaning to it i thought.

CW was like a 9 year old dumped out all of his action figures on the carpet and had a massive brawl.. again super fun and yes I had a smile on my face the whole time, but I was just looking for something more.

Also if these movies keep stressing about collateral damage im going to get really upset... they are superhero movies it takes me out of it when they have to be PC about stuff... BVS did the same thing.

okay rant over, just my 2 cents.