• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKE & KEY TV Series
3 3

102 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Capn17 said:

Watched the first 5 episodes so far.  Enjoying it so far.  Definitely differences with the book.  

Happy to see a 2nd season is official. May have to re-read the books after finishing the season.

Is it as good as the Graphic Novels?

17 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Loved the series. A little disappointed they had such a forehead slapping piece of horror movie logic towards the end to set up the ending, but they didn't do it as much as many shows have in this genre, so it's still a huge step above. 

Yeah, I liked the series, but two pieces of logic at the end really ruined it for me.  As long as we are thinking of the same stupid logic.

Spoiler

When Ellie took the key with her to get the crown.  And when they suddenly changed from wanting to get Dodge back in the well-house to needing to put her through the Black door.

I had honestly hoped for an even darker ending.

Spoiler

As Kinsey was separated from the others I had hoped that she was the one who had been changed by the identity key with Dodge assuming Kinsey's identity.  That would have led to really screwed up characters, but would have explained why the idea changed from getting Dodge to the well-house to the black door.

Oh and one last thing

Spoiler

What purpose did Eden play in the end other than to be a red shirt?

Edited by thunsicker

4 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Yeah, I liked the series, but two pieces of logic at the end really ruined it for me.  As long as we are thinking of the same stupid logic.

Reveal hidden contents

When Ellie took the key with her to get the crown.  And when they suddenly changed from wanting to get Dodge back in the well-house to needing to put her through the Black door.

Yes, we are...

Spoiler

Their ultimate weapon against Dodge wasn't a key it was....she/he/it can't take any of keys from a Locke. So, they have the key to the Crown of Shadows to use against Dodge and they hand it to a non-Locke and send this non-Locke with the lynchpin key to operate the Crown of Shadows and send it back into the last place/lair of Dodge. The key didn't have to go at all, since Elle was bringing the Crown back to Key House anyway? WTF man? W. T. F. ?!?!

As much as I enjoyed the whole season, this almost ruined it for me right there. I literally threw my hands up in the air. 

Switching from locking Dodge in the well house as opposed to through the Black Door was another thin plot device because once Elle woke up it would be clear she'd be screaming how she was Elle, etc. and it would wreck the upcoming season 2 slow burn/big reveal, Elle needed to not be able to reveal who she really was. 

They did telegraph pretty clearly that the Identity Key was being used a bunch, and that the unconscious Dodge was Elle, the audience should have been well in front of the Locke kids on that front. 

7 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Reveal hidden contents

I had honestly hoped for an even darker ending.

Reveal hidden contents

As Kinsey was separated from the others I had hoped that she was the one who had been changed by the identity key with Dodge assuming Kinsey's identity.  That would have led to really screwed up characters, but would have explained why the idea changed from getting Dodge to the well-house to the black door.

Oh and one last thing

Reveal hidden contents

What purpose did Eden play in the end other than to be a red shirt?

7 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Yes, we are...

Reveal hidden contents

Their ultimate weapon against Dodge wasn't a key it was....she/he/it can't take any of keys from a Locke. So, they have the key to the Crown of Shadows to use against Dodge and they hand it to a non-Locke and send this non-Locke with the lynchpin key to operate the Crown of Shadows and send it back into the last place/lair of Dodge. The key didn't have to go at all, since Elle was bringing the Crown back to Key House anyway? WTF man? W. T. F. ?!?!

As much as I enjoyed the whole season, this almost ruined it for me right there. I literally threw my hands up in the air. 

Switching from locking Dodge in the well house as opposed to through the Black Door was another thin plot device because once Elle woke up it would be clear she'd be screaming how she was Elle, etc. and it would wreck the upcoming season 2 slow burn/big reveal, Elle needed to not be able to reveal who she really was. 

They did telegraph pretty clearly that the Identity Key was being used a bunch, and that the unconscious Dodge was Elle, the audience should have been well in front of the Locke kids on that front. 

Although it was an obvious tension plot point, I still enjoyed the show overall.

Although it would have made it more tension-filled if Dodge ended up with those two items (avoiding spoilers) through two separate actions. Like she had a strategy going to land them both to achieve her goal.

43 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Although it was an obvious tension plot point, I still enjoyed the show overall.

Although it would have made it more tension-filled if Dodge ended up with those two items (avoiding spoilers) through two separate actions. Like she had a strategy going to land them both to achieve her goal.

How does it compare to the GN by Joe Hill?

11 hours ago, piper said:

How does it compare to the GN by Joe Hill?

I have read the GN's, and had a really good time watching the show.

How they pulled off Bode's head key experience was very well done. I wasn't sure that would come together so easily.

Suprising lack of comments.

They did this really well.

A slow start had me worried but by ep #6 it was full steam ahead.

The kids all acted well, in fact much better than the adults (Steve Williams aside as always) - the mother was especially poor. Dodge wasn't as scary as hoped, and I did ask why she didn't put the effort into her performance, when her acting whilst going through omega was excellent.

Great ending, the 'soldiers' interacted well, and nicely built for season 2.

Eps #1 - #4 - 5/10

#5 - #6 - 6.5/10

#7 - #10 - 9/10

Well worth the effort to grind through the first couple as it finishes extremely well.

Highly recommended :headbang:

On 2/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, Beige said:

Suprising lack of comments.

They did this really well.

A slow start had me worried but by ep #6 it was full steam ahead.

The kids all acted well, in fact much better than the adults (Steve Williams aside as always) - the mother was especially poor. Dodge wasn't as scary as hoped, and I did ask why she didn't put the effort into her performance, when her acting whilst going through omega was excellent.

Great ending, the 'soldiers' interacted well, and nicely built for season 2.

Eps #1 - #4 - 5/10

#5 - #6 - 6.5/10

#7 - #10 - 9/10

Well worth the effort to grind through the first couple as it finishes extremely well.

Highly recommended :headbang:

Nice!  I was just telling my wife that it is a little slower then I was hoping and it hasn’t really grabbed me yet.  I think we finished episode 3 last night and it’s good to know it eventually gets into high gear.

2 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

I enjoyed it and agree with what everyone said above about the lack of logic in the final episode to move the plot along.

I preferred the comics, though.

Ok. I’m going to skip it then. I loved the comic series and don’t want to spend the whole time comparing the two.

11 hours ago, piper said:

Ok. I’m going to skip it then. I loved the comic series and don’t want to spend the whole time comparing the two.

IMO, you are missing out. The minor concern with how certain things lined up near the end is just that when you factor in the complete season's overall experience. I think they did a great job with the casting, story conversion and even the soundtrack to complement the details.

I just would have handled a few things different. But that's easy to say afterwards as a post-production quarterback.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:54 PM, piper said:

Is it as good as the Graphic Novels?

Personally, I think the books are much better.  Much more captivating, in my opinion. 

The show does okay.  There are a lot of "huh? Why'd they do (didn't do) that?" moments.  Still will watch the 2nd season to see where it goes and if it improves.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

I have read the GN's, and had a really good time watching the show.

How they pulled off Bode's head key experience was very well done. I wasn't sure that would come together so easily.

Agree with this.  Thought they did this very well.  I tried to imagine what my head would look like.  Maybe a large comic book store?  :)

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

IMO, you are missing out. The minor concern with how certain things lined up near the end is just that when you factor in the complete season's overall experience. I think they did a great job with the casting, story conversion and even the soundtrack to complement the details.

I just would have handled a few things different. But that's easy to say afterwards as a post-production quarterback.

Yeah, I agree.  Overall it was enjoyable, the wtf moments in the last episode were a bit disappointing, but not enough to make me regret watching it.

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Yeah, I agree.  Overall it was enjoyable, the wtf moments in the last episode were a bit disappointing, but not enough to make me regret watching it.

Exactly! Sometimes we pick these things apart so much because we want the perfect portrayal (and I do get it with fan excitement), we convince others the entire production was a bust.

Well I read the books when they came out...can't say they stuck with me over the years.

My daughter and I watched the series together and she liked it quite a bit, which made me like it quite a bit.

We are on board for the second season.

Overall I liked it even with the plot contrivances. 

I have to say though that the town definitely had the worst medical examiners/autopsies in the world

Spoiler

The death of the first kids ruled a drowning? Any ME can tell if a body was already dead before going into the water. 

Same with Joe, who somehow managed to smother himself with a plastic bag sitting in a chair? When we see a flashback of the event we see he was violently killed. Great autopsy work, there.

I generally liked it as well. The only thing that really irked me was the autistic boy and his military jargon schtick. Maybe it bugged me because I was in the military, but I found it extremely annoying. Other than that, decent first season.