• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING directed by Steven S. DeKnight (2/23/18)

46 posts in this topic

‘Pacific Rim 2’ Hires ‘Jurassic World’ Screenwriter Derek Connolly

My interest in Pacific Rim 2 continues to wane. It would be one thing if Guillermo del Toro was returning to take us deeper into his world kaiju and jaegers, but Daredevil: Season 1 showrunner Steven DeKnight stepped into direct this past February (Del Toro remains on board in a producing capacity). Now the project is getting less exciting on the screenwriting front as Jurassic World co-writer Derek Connolly has been hired to work on the -script.

According to THR, plot details are being kept under wraps, and there were previous drafts by del Toro, Zak Penn, and Jon Spaihts, but it’s unknown if Connolly is doing a page one rewrite or developing certain story ideas. One draft of the -script reportedly was “set many years after the original movie and where the monster-fighting robot suits known as Jaegers have become commonplace.” That sounds interesting, although when we spoke to del Toro at Comic-Con last year, it sounded like his idea was to go deeper into the kaiju world.

Hollywoord Reporter Exclusive: 'Pacific Rim 2' Enlists 'Jurassic World' Writer Derek Connolly

Derek Connolly, the co-writer of Jurassic World, has been tapped to work on Pacific Rim 2, the sequel to Legendary’s mechas vs. monsters pic directed by Guillermo del Toro.

Del Toro remains involved with the project as one of the producers but is not directing the sequel.

Steven DeKnight, the showrunner of season 1 of Netflix’s Daredevil, is now on board to direct with Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Jon Jashni also producing.

Drafts have already been worked on by del Toro, Zak Penn and Jon Spaihts, and while plot details are being kept under wraps, at one point it was to have been set many years after the original movie and where the monster-fighting robot suits known as Jaegers have become commonplace.

PACIFIC RIM Sequel Gets A Release Date; SUICIDE SQUAD & FAST 8's Scott Eastwood Eyed For A Key Role

3ScottEastwood_8col.jpg

Earlier this month, we learned that Star Wars: The Force Awakens star John Boyega would star and co-produce Legendary Pictures' upcoming sequel to their 2013 surprise hit Pacific Rim and today, we've received word that they're close to adding another key piece to the cast.

Deadline is reporting that Scott Eastwood has entered early negotiations to join the cast. Details on his part were unavailable, but the trade adds that the role in question is considered to be major, likely the co-lead alongside Boyega, whose character is the son of the character played by Idris Elba (Star Trek Beyond) in the original Guillermo del Toro-directed film. Eastwood is an up-and-comer, and already has quite a few high-profile films lined up for next two years, including Oliver Stone's Snowden, David Ayer's Suicide Squad, F. Gary Gray's Fast 8, and Ben Affleck's Live By Night.

Additionally, earlier today, Legendary slated the film for a February 23, 2018 release date.

Guillermo del Toro Says Pacific Rim 2 Will Bring Back A Lot Of The Original Cast

Aside from Steven S. DeKnight now being in the director's chair, screenwriters Emily Carmichael and Kira Snyder penning the most recent -script, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens star John Boyega playing the son of the late Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba), we don't know all that much about Pacific Rim 2.

Although is reported that Charlie Hunnam or Rinko Kikuchi were expected to be back for the sequel, we still haven't heard a confirmation on their return. So, will they be back?

"As a producer I learned not to declare anything about a movie I’m not directing. I can tell you this — a lot of the cast from the first movie is coming back," del Toro told The Hollywood Reporter. "I leave those communications to Steven DeKnight. He’s not only a director, but he’s actually a guy I respect and admire and it’s his movie."

"I admire him tremendously. The idea for me is that this is a continuation of the great leadership character that was Idris Elba," he said. "It’s a very different character but I love the idea of having a main character who is not a white Anglo-Saxon guy. Before the heated conversation about diversity in film started we were doing Pacific Rim. And I think that universe is a huge proponent of that."

... That sounds interesting, although when we spoke to del Toro at Comic-Con last year, it sounded like his idea was to go deeper into the kaiju world.

I had heard that before and was really hoping they'd expand upon that idea. I'm glad Del Toro isnt leaving the project completely. Seems like there's some good casting involved at least! Hadn't heard that john boyega was joining yet so that is exciting. Now just to wait until 2018...

Cailee Spaeny Lands Female Lead in Pacific Rim 2

cailee-pacificrim2-200007.jpg

According to Variety, singer/songwriter/actress Cailee Spaeny has been cast as the female lead in Pacific Rim: Maelstrom, the sequel to Guillermo del Toro's 2013 film about humans in giant robots fighting giant inter-dimensional monsters.

No character details were provided on who Spaeny will be playing. Spaeny is mostly known for her musical work, but did appear earlier this year in the short film Counting to 1000.

The film goes into production this November and film in Australia and China.

Guillermo del Toro Teases Huge Surprises For Pacific Rim 2

Lately, moviegoers have been flooded with casting announcements for the film, and now they’re being teased with news from Guillermo del Toro himself. The producer attended New York Comic Con and told ComicBook.com to expect huge surprises from the kaiju flick.

When asked about the film, del Toro confirmed Pacific Rim 2 is “active and in progress.” The producer continued and confessed “there are a couple of huge surprises” lying in the film.

“As a geek, I just get so excited,” he gushed.

However, del Toro refrained from saying much more about the project. The producer stressed he wanted to respect Steven S. DeKnight as a director and be “cautious” to not let any secrets slip.

“I did the first one,” del Toro explained. “He’s doing the second.”

Pacific Rim 2 will hit theaters on February 23, 2018.

Pacific Rim 2 Just Made A Change To Its Title, And We Approve

ec4b5af3bfc474d4cc3e15efebc03bc72bf92ce5.jpg

The Pacific Rim sequel is in the middle of shooting as we speak, and for a time, the upcoming blockbuster was known as Pacific Rim: Maelstrom. However, you can forget calling the follow-up that, as the movie has a new official title: Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Legendary Entertainment sent out a press release today (via Coming Soon) stating that the casually-called Pacific Rim 2 will be titled Pacific Rim: Uprising. Evidently Pacific Rim: Maelstrom was only a working title and never intended to be the final product. Title changes after productions kicks off are rare, but we definitely approve of this title more than Maelstrom more. That's not to say Maelstrom was a bad choice, but Uprising sounds more intriguing.

Pacific Rim: Uprising will be released in theaters on February 23, 2018. Stay tuned to CinemaBlend for more updates on its progress as they come in.

PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING Director Say A Crossover With GODZILLA And KING KONG Is Possible

image.jpg

Something fans have been fantasizing about seeing ever since Pacific Rim was released is the massive Jaegers going to war with the likes of Godzilla and King Kong. Well, it turns out talks have taken place!

Here's what Steven. S. DeKnight had to say about the possibility of a crossover taking place one day.

"I won’t say there’s an Easter Egg but there’s been a lot of discussion about that possibility [of crossing over]. Look I think it would be fantastic to have the Pacific Rim universe join Legendary’s Monster Universe, it seems like a natural step. And part of the big overall plan after the third movie we’ve talked about is that could happen, it’s always a possibility. It’s by far not a certainty; it’s merely theoretical at this point, but as a fan myself I would love to see that happen."

WOW!

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING Director Say A Crossover With GODZILLA And KING KONG Is Possible

image.jpg

Something fans have been fantasizing about seeing ever since Pacific Rim was released is the massive Jaegers going to war with the likes of Godzilla and King Kong. Well, it turns out talks have taken place!

Here's what Steven. S. DeKnight had to say about the possibility of a crossover taking place one day.

"I won’t say there’s an Easter Egg but there’s been a lot of discussion about that possibility [of crossing over]. Look I think it would be fantastic to have the Pacific Rim universe join Legendary’s Monster Universe, it seems like a natural step. And part of the big overall plan after the third movie we’ve talked about is that could happen, it’s always a possibility. It’s by far not a certainty; it’s merely theoretical at this point, but as a fan myself I would love to see that happen."

WOW!

how about a product marketing crossover with Jager the alcohol?  Drop some BOMBS! 

18 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

image.jpg

WOW!

They've already decided they're going to make another one after this?