• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on several books from 1968

27 posts in this topic

Greetings Boardies,

I am a regular over in Modern, and brand new to Bronze. I have yet to collect a Silver Age book!

I am curious if there is any stigma associated with some popular books from 1968.

For example:

Iron Man #1

Silver Surfer #1

Captain America #100

Incredible Hulk #102

I did some digging on this forum and found some discussions regarding 2-3 warehouse finds of cases of these in NM, as well as many investors at the time with stacks of NM copies that have yet to flood the market.

Do you as a collector have any apprehension purchasing or owning these books?

Many of us own a book... simply to own the book because we like/enjoy it, while others hope the book will retain value if not appreciate over time.

Should I focus elsewhere before collecting these? These examples were the first on my silver age wish list!

Am I safe to proceed?

Thank you!

You should collect whatever makes you happy. Those are great books, Silver Age is where it's at. Unless you have deep pockets, then Golden is the place to be. Just do what make you happy and don't worry about everyone else. (thumbs u

You should collect whatever makes you happy. Those are great books, Silver Age is where it's at. Unless you have deep pockets, then Golden is the place to be. Just do what make you happy and don't worry about everyone else. (thumbs u

Agreed!! Most of us are not rich enough to seriously collect Golden Age (Especially the key books) books so we collect the 2nd best option books from the Silver Age (But to a lot of us the Silver Age is the best of all ages we simply prefer the super heroes of that time period over any other age).

Demand for all of those is almost insatiable........ very cool books...... If I could have only one, I really like the IM 1........ but it's a close race. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My personal choice would be a Silver Surfer 1 from that list.

Origin of the Silver Surfer, retelling of the origin of the Watcher, superb John Buscema art.

Can't really go wrong there. Quality book.

Greetings Boardies,

I am a regular over in Modern, and brand new to Bronze. I have yet to collect a Silver Age book!

I am curious if there is any stigma associated with some popular books from 1968.

For example:

Iron Man #1

Silver Surfer #1

Captain America #100

Incredible Hulk #102

I did some digging on this forum and found some discussions regarding 2-3 warehouse finds of cases of these in NM, as well as many investors at the time with stacks of NM copies that have yet to flood the market.

The books are all fine books and I`ve owned copies of all of them in my collecting life except for Iron Man #1.

But you are correct that there were warehouse finds and the supply of NM or better copies of these books is more or less inexhaustible. So definitely collect them if you`re interested in owning them, but don`t be feel like you need to jump on the first copy that comes to you.

Greetings Boardies,

For example:

Iron Man #1

Silver Surfer #1

Captain America #100

Incredible Hulk #102

Many of us own a book... simply to own the book because we like/enjoy it, while others hope the book will retain value if not appreciate over time.

Should I focus elsewhere before collecting these? These examples were the first on my silver age wish list!

Am I safe to proceed?

Thank you!

If your goal is to collect these books for enjoyment and an appreciation for their historical significance, then there's no question about having Marvel's '68 expansion titles in a collection. 1968 was an important year in the history of Marvel Comics and these books are the reason why. Marvel took major step forward towards eventually passing DC Comics in terms of sales approximately 3-4 years later. Each expansion book is special in its own right.

Best,

John

Thank you for your feedback fellas! I feel good about keeping them on my radar!

When I first started collecting slabs and learning about the Silver Age (2-3 years ago), Iron Man #1 and Silver Surfer #1 have continued to strike me as incredible covers to own!

Round 2 Question!

Do you go for a low grade Avengers #4 or a high grade Cap #100?!

When I first started collecting slabs and learning about the Silver Age (2-3 years ago), Iron Man #1 and Silver Surfer #1 have continued to strike me as incredible covers to own!

Round 2 Question!

Follow your own collecting instinct. You might see a low grade Avengers 4 that appeals to you? Then again, there might be a deal for an Cap 100 that you can't pass on. Silver Age Marvel superhero books are not scarce. One important thing about collecting is enjoying and appreciating the hunt. The collecting "process" sometimes results in disappointments...and surprises.

Round 2 Question!

Without any doubt go with Avengers #4 that is a classic cover and issue!!

Neither are rare. Buy whichever one you get the best deal on, and then pick up the other one later.

When I was a teenager collector in the mid 70's all those books were very cheap $2.50 to $5.00 each (of course that was a lot of money to a kid back then) and very plentiful at my LCS , I never had any interest in them because of that, too bad I didn't buy multiples of them but its amazing to me how much they have increased in value considering how common they were.