• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Darwyn Cooke

14 posts in this topic

I met him once - at MegaCon in 2015. As I planned the visit, I looked for artists who had work published in the Stan Sakai tribute book and had not yet signed my copy. Darwyn was one of those.

He was away from his table when I got to it so I spent the time talking to his wife until he returned. She's very nice and quite friendly. After a bit, he got there, sat down, and was pleasant when I said hi. I then pulled out my Stan Sakai Tribute book. His face lit up. He was clearly a fan of Stan's work and was thrilled to have contributed. In fact, I think he was happy to be asked to sign it. He made a great impression on me.

RIP. Phenomenal talent taken way too soon :sorry:

Agreed, I was expecting to follow his work for many many more years. I had the good fortune of meeting him several times and he was one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet, he will be missed.

I hated seeing this Friday into Saturday. His talent was as monumental as his personality.

I met the man twice, both at NYCC. The first time I waited at his table, I spoke with his wife a bit. Very nice lady, he then showed up and was about to start signing when some European came up wanting to set up a gallery show with Darwyn's art. Darwyn didn't like how pushy he was and told him that he had a line of fans. If it was that important, the guy would come back later. From there, he proceeded to sign books.

The second time, the second PARKER book was coming out and IDDW was selling a special edition of it at their booth. I just wanted the book and his autograph. The book was complete with a special page with a parker image. Issue was that they had no covers to the book and asked for peoples' address so they can mail the cover. He shows up, signs books but also proceeds to add some orange coloring to the image to make it stand out more. It was a simple technique but it magnified the power of the image more. It's really cool.

He didn't do a ton of comic work but the work he did do was magical, dynamic and powerful. I can't help but get a bit teary eyed when I look at my shelf with all the PARKER books and think, "Damn, why him?"

It reminded me of how Mike Weiringo passed at such a young age as well ut left the fans and the world with a great selection of work. Work we can all go back and read again to appreciate the art and talent they've left behind, a talent that remains with us even with their passing.

I'm just enjoying reading all the memories his close friends and co-workers have of the man that they're sharing with us all.

Thanks for the memories, Darwyn.

Darwyn Cooke has left a solid legacy in his body of work, to be appreciated for generations.

His artistic style was unique, often imitated, never duplicated.

He generously donated his time and labor to the Hero Initiative, helping out other artists in need.

I was fortunate enough to meet him, receive a custom commission, and add that souvenir and memory to my collection.

I last saw him at Wonder Con 2015 in Anaheim, CA, but he was really busy at the time, so wasn't able to stop by to spend time at his table.

R.I.P. or as they now say... Big Ups!

Condolences to all his family and friends.

While he was influenced by Bruce Timm, his style had a more old school look and feel to it. It made him the perfect artist for the now classic New Frontier.

I've just "discovered" Darwyn's work in the last year with the parker series. I'm a huge fan of the westlake novels. I ignored his superhero work because of an erroneous assumption. His work was powerful and unique and I'm devastated to learn there will be no more of it.