• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

What, too soon to look forward?

Only a couple of listings so far, but off to a good start:

Uncanny X-Men 165 cover by PMS:

raID6j1.jpg

What's that you say, there's a Doctor Strange movie on the horizon? Wonder what made you think of that.

Golden Doctor Strange Portfolio Envelope Cover:

WV3SJ58.jpg

Strange Tales #164 cover by Adkins:

MDGOLYU.jpg

The Golden piece looks amazing.

I love PMS' art but were all his covers stored next to a radiator? A lot of his covers seem to have a lot of tanning. Maybe it was the batch of bristol that Marvel used? It's a nice cover.

Cheers!

N.

raID6j1.jpg

Looks like something that a boardie would be into, his name rhymes with schmlekkerste.

What's that you say, there's a Doctor Strange movie on the horizon? Wonder what made you think of that.

PATIENCE IS A VIRUE!!!

raID6j1.jpg

Looks like something that a boardie would be into, his name rhymes with schmlekkerste.

Vodou? Ironmandrd? Glendgold? Rotembk? I give up, who is it... hm

raID6j1.jpg

WV3SJ58.jpg

MDGOLYU.jpg

The ST #164 cover is the stuff that dreams are made of :luhv:

raID6j1.jpg

Ironmandrd?

What the Korean Iron Man OA collector? hm I suppose it could be him. (shrug) I saw a picture of him next to Schmugene Schark, the caucasian New Mutants collector once.

raID6j1.jpg

WV3SJ58.jpg

MDGOLYU.jpg

The ST #164 cover is the stuff that dreams are made of :luhv:

You mean nightmares, right? I mean, it says so on the cover; look again if you don't believe me.

And having a brood embryo implanted in you and then hatch? Brrrr.

raID6j1.jpg

Vodou? Ironmandrd? Glendgold? Rotembk? I give up, who is it... hm

This one is actually key nostalgia but no way I can match disposable that others have. Not about to sell down to raise the appropriate 225% fmv cash either.

It's hard to compare the uber high end art market to the general comic art market. It's much easier to buy art at every budget. Not so with high end art. And the prices of high end comic art vs fine art are drastically different.

It's hard to compare the uber high end art market to the general comic art market. It's much easier to buy art at every budget. Not so with high end art. And the prices of high end comic art vs fine art are drastically different.

Agreed... In a world where a blank canvas with minimal artwork or abstract artwork that's debatable in what it is, that goes for tens if not hundreds of thousands, versus published comic book artwork that generally runs from $20 to $200,000, with a lot in the $300 range; $3,000 range and $10,000 range, it's not a fair comparison saying art is art in comics vs classic or fine art in comparing the marketplace, as even the demographics of the collectors differ greatly as does the motivation to purchase.

Unlike the fine art market, the comic art market has never been stronger. Even if there weren't any $657K sales in the just-concluded Heritage auction, top-to-bottom, this was hands down the strongest OA auction yet.

Whether record prices in the face of fine art and many other art/collectibles/luxury markets showing signs of softness are a good or bad thing, I leave to people to decide for themselves. :angel:

Billionaires finally gave up on Huge Rothkos -too much, too fast- and are now actively chasing Kirby side-view Thors. And Colan Avengers covers ;)

hm

Billionaires finally gave up on Huge Rothkos -too much, too fast- and are now actively chasing Kirby side-view Thors. And Colan Avengers covers ;)

Don't forget Romita covers on vellum, back-view Frazettas, monster-less Frankenstein plates, Silvestri Wolverine covers...need I go on. lol