• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, BishopT said:

Something you don't see every day. I'm interested in the census for this comic, as this one is in amazing shape. There are a few more like these I may pick up tomorrow.

IMG_2372.JPG

All are pretty rare but suoerman and batman are most common and nobody wants them foe some reason.  Spider sells best. There are a couple that are extremely rare that I have never seen myself. Only once have I found them with their case and cassette intact.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

All are pretty rare but suoerman and batman are most common and nobody wants them foe some reason.  Spider sells best. There are a couple that are extremely rare that I have never seen myself. Only once have I found them with their case and cassette intact.

I discovered these variants a long time ago (found them in a dollar box and wanted to learn more about them so I did some investigative work back before they were listed in any guides) and got them listed in Overstreet. These and the SoMuchFunInc.! variants and the Miracleman gold and blue #1s. I even tracked down the owners of the ShanLon company and the owner of the SoMuchFunInc company and interviewed them.

To my knowledge, the Captain Americas are the rarest ShanLons and sell for a lot.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:59 AM, Michael Browning said:

I discovered these variants a long time ago (found them in a dollar box and wanted to learn more about them so I did some investigative work back before they were listed in any guides) and got them listed in Overstreet. These and the SoMuchFunInc.! variants and the Miracleman gold and blue #1s. I even tracked down the owners of the ShanLon company and the owner of the SoMuchFunInc company and interviewed them.

To my knowledge, the Captain Americas are the rarest ShanLons and sell for a lot.

I picked up a collection a few months ago and the Captain America were in there

On 06/01/2018 at 3:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

I managed to get all 3 Spidey's back in the day. Gone now alas, but here are the pictures - you don't often get to see the back packaging:

5a53cdcbb62bd_ShanLonScienceProject.thumb.PNG.5a6c14ab0f756bbbe47fceb035b47aff.PNG

5a53cdd3a3e64_ShanLonScorpion.thumb.PNG.32c9aebb099ec246876429ee8210b6f5.PNG

5a53cddc3f493_ShanLonWaterfront.thumb.PNG.1d71589d8e3f861883873696a9300615.PNG

Found a ton of Image Newstands at a Flea market.  All NM.  Found Vanguard 1,2.  and Deathblow 1.  I also found a run of Wild CATS  Including 1,2, and 8! 

Sadly, I only collect these because of this thread... thinking about stopping soon because I wonder if I'm just collecting drek.

There was also a ton of Malibu comics...  However, I had no idea if there are any worthwhile comics to collect by them. 

Screen shot 2018-01-12 at 8.12.31 PM.png

Screen shot 2018-01-12 at 8.13.10 PM.png

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Found a ton of Image Newstands at a Flea market.  All NM.  Found Vanguard 1,2.  and Deathblow 1.  I also found a run of Wild CATS  Including 1,2, and 8! 

Sadly, I only collect these because of this thread... thinking about stopping soon because I wonder if I'm just collecting drek.

There was also a ton of Malibu comics...  However, I had no idea if there are any worthwhile comics to collect by them. 

I was enamored with them for about two weeks and then realized how much longer it takes to look through long boxes when you have to pull up every damn book to see if there is a barcode on it! I've never had anyone ever ask me for newsstand versions of 90s indys. Never. 

21 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I was enamored with them for about two weeks and then realized how much longer it takes to look through long boxes when you have to pull up every damn book to see if there is a barcode on it! I've never had anyone ever ask me for newsstand versions of 90s indys. Never. 

Same here... I loved finding the wild cats 1 and 2 newstands... but I assume they are pretty much worthless...

20 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Same here... I loved finding the wild cats 1 and 2 newstands... but I assume they are pretty much worthless...

I'm surprised how little WildCATS 2 sells for.

1. It's a true variant cover.

2. It's a white cover, newsstand to boot.

I think it will have its day. I think they all will eventually. They are the Canadian editions of their day. Those have eventually come along.

I have seen Wildcats 1 NS graded in 9.8 sell for a very good prices on ebay. I believe $200+ was the last one I saw. The white issue 2 sells decently as well. These are "rare" but not ghosts. Like anything else, they still have to be perfect to acheive a premium.

I would love to see a Maxx 1 or Darker Image sell at auction in 9.8. Never seen it happen. I would not be suprised to see those acheive great prices as well.

I have never seen that Vanguard NS before. Maybe I never looked... thought I had them all. 

1 hour ago, Davidone said:

I have seen Wildcats 1 NS graded in 9.8 sell for a very good prices on ebay. I believe $200+ was the last one I saw. The white issue 2 sells decently as well. These are "rare" but not ghosts. Like anything else, they still have to be perfect to acheive a premium.

I would love to see a Maxx 1 or Darker Image sell at auction in 9.8. Never seen it happen. I would not be suprised to see those acheive great prices as well.

I have never seen that Vanguard NS before. Maybe I never looked... thought I had them all. 

9.8 Maxx #1 would probably reach $50 on a good day.  I don’t get on eBay much anymore but I just saw this one. Used to be my copy some years ago. Looks like I left some money on the table ha.

914D5E46-3B77-4D4D-A1E2-2E0456B1C83B.jpeg

20 hours ago, Reader said:

9.8 Maxx #1 would probably reach $50 on a good day.  I don’t get on eBay much anymore but I just saw this one. Used to be my copy some years ago. Looks like I left some money on the table ha.

914D5E46-3B77-4D4D-A1E2-2E0456B1C83B.jpeg

They were referring to a newssstand 9.8.

Edited by ygogolak