• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I bought a Rai #0 recently and a Bloodshot #6, they are first appearances of Bloodshot and Ninjak. They've picked up steam but are 90's books and are either over-printed or were over hyped back then, I'm not really sure of the story.

I'd be curious, if anyone could tell me how to tell the difference between "Matte" and "Glossy" versions of Rai #0....?

I think glossy sells for more....

The Matte version might be mistaken for glossy if you don't have both to compare. (It's more of a "satin")

27 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
23 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I bought a Rai #0 recently and a Bloodshot #6, they are first appearances of Bloodshot and Ninjak. They've picked up steam but are 90's books and are either over-printed or were over hyped back then, I'm not really sure of the story.

I'd be curious, if anyone could tell me how to tell the difference between "Matte" and "Glossy" versions of Rai #0....?

I think glossy sells for more....

The Matte version might be mistaken for glossy if you don't have both to compare. (It's more of a "satin")

Thanks I also googled it and pm'd some people, on the Valiant site they were quoted as saying:

If the right edge show's "more of the interior pages to where you see color, then it is probably the glossy version", which mine does.... I might have it graded eventually :) I've been meaning to send some to CGC, I have older books that I'm REALLY wanting the grade and encapsulated, but I have too many moderns that need it first to avoid any damage.....

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks I also googled it and pm'd some people, on the Valiant site they were quoted as saying:

If the right edge show's "more of the interior pages to where you see color, then it is probably the glossy version", which mine does.... I might have it graded eventually :) I've been meaning to send some to CGC, I have older books that I'm REALLY wanting the grade and encapsulated, but I have too many moderns that need it first to avoid any damage.....

The three Rais in the bottom row are money books. (Especially the #0 and the Magnus flipbook.) If you're looking to sell, there should be some interest on the Facebook Valiant Buy/Sell group.

10 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

lol never mind. That wasn't your post.

No but i bought a rai 0 on the cheap, that's why I asked about the "glossy", i believe mine is the glossy but wanted to make sure before I sent it for grading...

I think stormshadow80 was a fan of the character :foryou: but I'll be willing to part with it, provided it comes back as glossy and 9.8; it's possible!

On 4/4/2018 at 3:04 PM, Wolverinex said:

Found these Rai books at the flea market for a few dollars.  Rai 1 is weird, its a flip cover.  There are cards inside and its NM.   Anyone know much about these? 

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 3.02.33 PM.png

I'm Jealous, I'm trying to get all pre unity rai issues myself. Nice find!

On 5/2/2017 at 5:07 AM, Davidone said:

I'm a big fan of Strangers in Paradise. I came across this fanpage with a great list of early prototype appearances. All of these furry books have been really difficult to track down. Here is a nice list for anyone interested.

http://maidamaida.tripod.com/sip/works.html

Screenshot_2017-05-02-01-57-10.png

Screenshot_2017-05-02-01-58-53-1.png

I know I'm almost a year late, but thank you so much for this! 

On 4/2/2018 at 4:22 PM, Brother J said:

MCS has this book listed as Prophet Legacy and shows both covers, doesn't have them in stock, though.

EDIT: I then found this listing on eBayhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Prophet-Vol-3-1-Undervalued-HTF-McFarlane-Cover-This-Book-is-a-Ghost-CBG310/222898165773?hash=item33e5c4180d:g:LEQAAOSw8BRat-Uv.

This listing shows it is a flip cover, MCS listed the flip covers as a separate series, though. I guess an error on their part. (shrug)

The book isn't a ghost. How silly. How many would they like...?

On 4/5/2018 at 6:43 AM, artistlost said:
On 4/4/2018 at 12:04 PM, Wolverinex said:

Found these Rai books at the flea market for a few dollars.  Rai 1 is weird, its a flip cover.  There are cards inside and its NM.   Anyone know much about these? 

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 3.02.33 PM.png

Nice score. The Rai #1 flip book is actually Magnus Robot Fighter #5 which is the 1st appearance of Rai. Magnus ran as a flip book for a bit with the Rai story as the flip. Later, Valiant started a Rai ongoing series (which all of your other books are from).

Back in the bad old days, when Rai #3 and #4 took off in price, the unscrupulous would take Magnus #7 and #8, put them Rai-side up in a bag, and pawn them off as the actual Rai #3 and #4.

Fun facts from the 90's!

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Back in the bad old days, when Rai #3 and #4 took off in price, the unscrupulous would take Magnus #7 and #8, put them Rai-side up in a bag, and pawn them off as the actual Rai #3 and #4.

Fun facts from the 90's!

So the first mini series Rai 3 and 4 are not as rare as the 2nd series? 

5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So the first mini series Rai 3 and 4 are not as rare as the 2nd series? 

No. Rai #3 and #4 were the shortest printed pre-Unities in existence, followed by Harbinger #4. And they aren't really the first mini-series...they're just Magnus #7 and #8 flip books.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Looking at sales numbers now, it is kind of fun to see where the rarer pre-unity issues with print runs in the 20,000 - 30,000 range would fit in todays monthly sales. While that would have been bottom of list back then it would be 100 - 150, or even top 100 in some months, in today's market.

11 hours ago, kimik said:

Looking at sales numbers now, it is kind of fun to see where the rarer pre-unity issues with print runs in the 20,000 - 30,000 range would fit in todays monthly sales. While that would have been bottom of list back then it would be 100 - 150, or even top 100 in some months, in today's market.

True, but the Marvel and DC (and Image) numbers at the same time were about ten times higher.  So, generally speaking, there's only 1/10th the supply in the first place... and now it's been 25+ years.  If (or should I say, since) the books were high quality, or at least, higher quality relative to the competition at the time, and the supply was 1/10th, then you've got the potential for a multiplier in Pre-Unity Valiant's favor when you look at both supply and demand.