• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

I have been chasing these Image Turtles newsstands for a couple years now. I rarely find any issues from this series in the wild. 

I have had "Image Ninja Turtles" on my ebay watch list for the last two years and checked it almost everyday. I have seen three newsstand editions of issue 2, a VG- of 3 and finally this issue of 4. A board member posted issue 8 so I know that exists as well. 

Ironically, issue 1 sells for good money but is the most common issue listed. Out of all the copies I have seen, I have yet to find a newsstand for it. If anyone out there has others, let me know. Not sure if I will ever be able to finish a set at this rate.

IMG_20180519_230249.jpg

Edited by Davidone

On 5/19/2018 at 9:12 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I found these today at a garage sale

574DAC17-178C-4524-9F72-D6767AC59BCE.thumb.jpeg.2b0e8af84e0e9bf3ddd5bdd7413a508f.jpeg

EF469617-836D-4198-BBAB-FD3D7CF8A4B5.jpeg

OOOOOooooh, never seen that Aliens preview before, that is very cool!

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, Lazyboy said:

According to the UPC, it's the standard (1) and the foil cover is the variant (2). But again, my point was that nobody ever refers to either 90s gimmicks or their regular counterparts as variants... except on eBay when they want prospective buyers to think they're special. meh

You mean more of the expensive gimmick cover, as was (nearly?) always the case? Sure. Or are you talking about current sale prices?

Currently available on eBay: 7 Regular Direct, 11 Foil Direct, 2 Newsstand

Recently sold on eBay: 7 Regular Direct, 16 Foil Direct, 8 Newsstand

Not exactly support for calling any specific version rare. Punisher 100 just isn't that easy to find, period.

I see more foils now. When I found a "regular" (lower print run?) version about a year ago there were like 1 or 2 up at any given time. Wayyyy more foil versions (not selling for much). I think people realized this was a $50-$75 book and started digging hard to find it and now we have a bunch of copies up. Probably not a $50-$75 book anymore as a result.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, Lazyboy said:

According to the UPC, it's the standard (1) and the foil cover is the variant (2). But again, my point was that nobody ever refers to either 90s gimmicks or their regular counterparts as variants... except on eBay when they want prospective buyers to think they're special. meh

You mean more of the expensive gimmick cover, as was (nearly?) always the case? Sure. Or are you talking about current sale prices?

Currently available on eBay: 7 Regular Direct, 11 Foil Direct, 2 Newsstand

Recently sold on eBay: 7 Regular Direct, 16 Foil Direct, 8 Newsstand

Not exactly support for calling any specific version rare. Punisher 100 just isn't that easy to find, period.

MY bad, I thought the more expensive (as a back issue) had a higher cover price, but I was wrong!  I thought the orange one had some gold foil in there, but I guess I am remembering it wrong.

I was digging around a hobby shop with my boys today, and I stumbled upon a small handful of NM CBS presents: action zone #1. I grabbed all the available copies. I had never seen them in person.

Also quick question, I found a Hamilton comics Power rangers #1 newsstand. I didn't know it was available in newsstand, and eBay yields no results. Is it rare/valuable?

Here is question I've been wanting to ask for awhile. Which sets are the most difficult to make? 
This could be a mini an entire 12 issue or 6 issue run or just certain storylines.

For me From Hell has always been my toughest to find in decent grade.

I made a Gargoyle Set and that took me around a year to make.

I find the last 5 issues of Teen Titans V2 very tough to make as a set. I find issue 130 more then 
I find the other 4 issues most of the time.

Last issues of Swamp Thing are impossible to find. 

Armorines V2 1-4 is just impossible.

Battle Chasers sucks to make a set of, but it can be done if you want to pay for it.

Edited by fastballspecial

6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

A few dollar finds.  Ivory Variants of XO ManofWar 0, Newstand Wildcats 1 NM-, and Superman 497 rare 3rd print1292542477086658998.thumb.jpg.66a547e762083748ba840184879cb26e.jpg294831922_ScreenShot2018-05-27at1_30_23PM.thumb.png.b98394b0216f6ebeaad4a78a2ee07c2a.png

I don’t think those are the true “ivory” variants but I’d ask @valiantman to confirm

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Here is question I've been wanting to ask for awhile. Which sets are the most difficult to make? 
This could be a mini an entire 12 issue or 6 issue run or just certain storylines.

I find the last 5 issues of Teen Titans V2 very tough to make as a set. I find issue 130 more then 

Battle Chasers sucks to make a set of, but it can be done if you want to pay for it.

The planet of symbiotes isn’t easy to find. Battle chasers I have a tough time finding the 0,1,9 that I’ve given up putting sets together cheap 

55 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I don’t think those are the true “ivory” variants but I’d ask @valiantman to confirm

Yes, I will wait for @valiantman but I think they are because the Valiant boxes are definitely more yellowish compared to some pure white ones in the box.   I took a photo comparing them in the 2nd photo, the middle one is the regular white one (which I didn't buy).

2 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Maybe the "yellowish" ones were stored in a heavy smoker's home.

That's a possibility but a thread on valiantfans talks about how people thought the ivory ones were from smoker's homes initially before they realized it was a printing variation.  I read most of the threads on that website before I bought these

Edited by Wolverinex

6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I always have trouble find Battle Chasers.  That's the main miniseries I look for. 

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:
3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Yes, I will wait for @valiantman but I think they are because the Valiant boxes are definitely more yellowish compared to some pure white ones in the box.   I took a photo comparing them in the 2nd photo, the middle one is the regular white one (which I didn't buy).

They look ivory to me. They're not an actual variant, just a variation in the coloring for the production process. They occur less often than the white coloring since the books were all supposed to be white.

X-O #0 was literally the first full chromium cover in comics, so the process couldn't have been perfected yet. I'd guess that 1-in-10 copies have "something wrong" and the most common thing wrong is the ivory coloring.  Since 800,000 or 900,000 were printed, there are plenty of errors to go around because 1-in-10 would be 80,000 to 90,000.

Edited by valiantman

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

They look ivory to me. They're not an actual variant, just a variation in the coloring for the production process. They occur less often than the white coloring since the books were all supposed to be white.

X-O #0 was literally the first full chromium cover in comics, so the process couldn't have been perfected yet. I'd guess that 1-in-10 copies have "something wrong" and the most common thing wrong is the ivory coloring.  Since 800,000 or 900,000 were printed, there are plenty of errors to go around because 1-in-10 would be 80,000 to 90,000.

there's this thread from before

I picked this one up the other day... These were a landmine awareness giveaway form UNICEF in Bosnia, and most are found in Serbocroatian, Albanian, etc. The story is that the English language version is quite rare, and was distributed only to military officers for proofreading...

This seems rather dubious to me, as a proof would be fine for proofreading, rather than a final printed edition.

Also, they don't speak Albanian in Bosnia.

Does anyone know the real story on these?

superman.thumb.jpg.2dfc74d309bd007df5880781833df5aa.jpg