• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, as most of the books in this thread are able to be found in the wild, just not frequently. Here's one that didn't exist as far as I knew, but all of the sudden, mycomicshop.com has a picture of it, Shuriken #9. 

As far as I knew, there were only 8 issues in this run, but all of the sudden I'm seeing this listing. Can't find evidence anywhere else of it existing. I doubt if anyone else would know or care, but I figured I'd ask.

shuriken9.jpg

3 hours ago, Brother J said:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, as most of the books in this thread are able to be found in the wild, just not frequently. Here's one that didn't exist as far as I knew, but all of the sudden, mycomicshop.com has a picture of it, Shuriken #9. 

As far as I knew, there were only 8 issues in this run, but all of the sudden I'm seeing this listing. Can't find evidence anywhere else of it existing. I doubt if anyone else would know or care, but I figured I'd ask.

shuriken9.jpg

That is strange. I don't know how many books there are in the series but I do remember issue 1 being a major player back in the 80s b&w boom

5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

That is strange. I don't know how many books there are in the series but I do remember issue 1 being a major player back in the 80s b&w boom

Heck yeah, #1 was a major player back in the 1980s. Over the years, I’ve seen issues in quarter and dollar boxes and always wanted to buy them because I remembered a time when it was a hot seller. I have never seen this ninth issue, though, and you would figure there would be a copy out there somewhere, but eBay doesn’t appear to have any and it doesn’t look like any have sold in a long time on there.

I found these in the wild in Myrtle Beach this week while on vacation: Uncanny X-Men 423 newsstand and Superman 75 fourth print newsstand. I'd never seen the Superman 75 before and I hadn't seen the newsstand copy of UXM 423 since it was released and I laughed at it being $2.25 on the newsstand since I'd just bought four copies for a quarter each at the comic shop.

UXM423newsstand.jpg

superman75fourthprintnewsstand.jpg

11 hours ago, Brother J said:

shuriken9.jpg

For many years I didn't know the last issue of Gargoyles existed either.

33 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

For many years I didn't know the last issue of Gargoyles existed either.

Did online sources list the last issue of Gargoyles as existing, though?

I just double checked Mile High, Atomic Avenue and Grand Comics Database and NONE of them have this book listed. In fact, I'm sure I've checked mycomicshop's listing for this title before and this book wasn't listed the last time I looked, so it must be a recent addition. I guess my next step would be to try to contact Reggie Byers online and see if he can shed any light on this. 

4 minutes ago, Brother J said:

I just double checked Mile High, Atomic Avenue and Grand Comics Database and NONE of them have this book listed. In fact, I'm sure I've checked mycomicshop's listing for this title before and this book wasn't listed the last time I looked, so it must be a recent addition. I guess my next step would be to try to contact Reggie Byers online and see if he can shed any light on this. 

What year did it come out

2 hours ago, Brother J said:

I contacted Mr. Byers and he responded quickly. #9 does indeed exist, but apparently it's pretty rare, Mr. Byers doesn't even have a copy! Needless to say I am intrigued and will be looking to buy a copy of this if I ever find one.

21 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Yeah, I've had a few of these "ghosts", too. Didn't realize they were ghosts. Huh.

Yeah, I have had "Image, Turtles" on my eBay watchlist for a few years. Granted, I only use the eBay app which I believe doesn't do the best search but it finds most. I try and check every issue that comes to market from the series. I find 1-2 a year if i'm lucky. Issue 2 has come up maybe 3 times. I have seen 1 badly damaged copy of issue 3 and 1 copy of 4. Strangely, issue 1 is the most common issue of the series, by far, and I have yet to see a newsstand for it. 

A member here posted a photo of issue 8, so I know they at least made that many. That's it. After all this time, I can only verify 2,3,4 and 8.

Edited by Davidone

1 hour ago, Davidone said:

Yeah, I have had "Image, Turtles" on my eBay watchlist for a few years. Granted, I only use the eBay app which I believe doesn't do the best search but it finds most. I try and check every issue that comes to market from the series. I find 1-2 a year if i'm lucky. Issue 2 has come up maybe 3 times. I have seen 1 badly damaged copy of issue 3 and 1 copy of 4. Strangely, issue 1 is the most common issue of the series, by far, and I have yet to see a newsstand for it. 

A member here posted a photo of issue 8, so I know they at least made that many. That's it. After all this time, I can only verify 2,3,4 and 8.

Yeah, I didn't see any Image Turtles newsstands listed on eBay when I checked recently. I picked these up at a comic show last weekend. I would have purchased any of the Image Turtles books, so seeing they were newsstand editions was a nice bonus.

23 hours ago, Brother J said:

Yeah, I didn't see any Image Turtles newsstands listed on eBay when I checked recently. I picked these up at a comic show last weekend. I would have purchased any of the Image Turtles books, so seeing they were newsstand editions was a nice bonus.

Do you just get Image books because they are rare? 

The Image series is currently being reprinted, but for the longest time I'd buy them because of rarity and them kind of being "black sheep", not part of continuity or whatever. I always heard they weren't good stories from Turtles fans, but that kind of intrigued me into wanting to read it. Also, those last handful of Image issues are especially tough. Volume 4 of Mirage, I'm not so sure of their rarity... I've found a handful of the later issues for cheap (but still price labeled), the Image books I have were found in dollar boxes except for the last issue, which I bought as a wall book during a sale.