• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,477 posts in this topic

Here's a rando question re: a book I found in my collection last night. I am not suggesting that the book is rare, just seemed like the most appropriate thread. I know that bagged direct copies of these book are common as dirt, and newsstands are probably pretty common as well, but this is the first time I recall seeing a bagged newsstand copy. Have I just not been paying attention, was this a common practice with this mini series? I guess my REAL question is: I know that a bagged direct copy is worth about 10 cents, but is it possible that this bagged newsstand copy may be worth upwards of, say, FIFTY cents? (Also, boo to whatever dummy stuck the price sticker directly on the bag, the jerk.)

Photo Sep 12, 11 49 56 PM.jpg

54 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Here's a rando question re: a book I found in my collection last night. I am not suggesting that the book is rare, just seemed like the most appropriate thread. I know that bagged direct copies of these book are common as dirt, and newsstands are probably pretty common as well, but this is the first time I recall seeing a bagged newsstand copy. Have I just not been paying attention, was this a common practice with this mini series? I guess my REAL question is: I know that a bagged direct copy is worth about 10 cents, but is it possible that this bagged newsstand copy may be worth upwards of, say, FIFTY cents? (Also, boo to whatever dummy stuck the price sticker directly on the bag, the jerk.)

Photo Sep 12, 11 49 56 PM.jpg

I will happily pay you SEVENTY TWO cents for this copy. 

10 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:
11 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

You should add something constructive to the thread, then.

I do, when I find something worth posting. 

Yeah, you better start posting a bunch of variants that are hard to find, directly in-line with the intent of this topic.

26 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I will happily pay you SEVENTY TWO cents for this copy. 

hm  Let me sleep on it. Can you do a wire transfer?

I collect Spider-Ham and I recently found out that there were some S-H original stories in some issues of What The..?!. My LCS bought a huge collection and I was able to buy the issues  Spider-Ham appeared in (except #26, my brother snagged that). Issue #3 is my Fave S-H cover ever. Well, after reading about how the later issues may be HTF, I went back and dug most of the run out of the $1 bins. Thanks to the boards for that tidbit.

2sblh6c.jpg

Edited by WhatMeWorry

Spider-Ham was also featured as a back-up in Marvel Tales from around #201 - #218 or 219. I believe these are new, but it's been a long time since I looked. Not hard to find in the wild, but as long as you brought it up ...

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I know there's a lost in space that's a little harder to find that others, but can't think of which one it is

My understanding (from these boards) is that 13-18 (the "second season"/last six issues) are tougher, and that 17 and 18 are definitely "books you just can't find in the wild."

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I thought one of the annuals or special edition books sold for some value also

The Lost In Space Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul trade paperback and the Strangers Among Strangers collected edition both sell really high and the TPB had to be special ordered through the mail from Bubblehead Publishing so they are extremely rare.

On 9/10/2018 at 5:46 AM, Michael Browning said:

The last two issues of What The..?! Are extremely tough to find. Very low print runs on what was already a pretty low-selling title. I’ve only ever found one copy each of #25 and #26.

Found this "in the wild" yesterday.

Spider-Ham 1588

(marked down from 2099) :D

20180915_205901.jpg

I have never seen these before this week. I can't find anything about the Lord Pumpkin #4, because all the ones I find are the flip book with Necromantra on the other side. This one does not have the Necromantra flip book. The Angels of Destruction one-shot came out in 1996 and was written by Brian Michael Bendis, which has to be one of his earliest Marvel scripts. And, from what I can tell, having a cover date of October 1996, it appears to be the last of the Ultraverse line of comics.

angelsofdestructionandlordpumpkin.jpg